Help with Calendar Invitation Alerts - Odd Situation

Tyrant2049

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'll make it short and with facts of what I have done.

The Facts:

My wife has an iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1) and has her Gmail Email and Calendar setup as an exchange account in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" settings.
I have an iPhone 4S (iOS 5.1) and also have my Gmail Email and Calendar setup as an exchange account in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" settings.
We both use our Gmail email as the email account associated with our Apple ID.
We both have Calendar Alerts fully activated on Notifications Center (same exact selections) and have also marked "New Invitation Alerts" as "On" in the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" settings.
We both have selected "Push" on the "Fetch New Data" Setting.
We both have iCloud accounts but do not use the email nor the calendar functions of iCloud (we want to use Gmail).
If we create our own events in our own Calendars and set a reminders (for example "at the time of the event", we both get the alerts/notifications normally.
To summarize, I have gone item by item on both iPhones to make sure we have the same selections on every setting.

The problem:

If my wife creates an event on her phone and invites me (rememer gmail to gmail accounts with same configuations in both iPhones), I do not get any type of notification. The event will just show up on my iPhone Calendar greyed out until I accept it, but there is no type of notification (no popup notification and sound, no badge icon even though both are turned on in the settings of notification center an no pending invitations in the "Invitations" tab in the Calendar App).

However, If I create an event in my iPhone and invite my wife, she will instantly get a pop up notification, with the sound alert she chose and her Calendar will pop open once she presses the pop up and the "Invitations" tab of the Calendar app will show up for her to accept the event. Everything works fine with here iPhone! The problem seems to be related to my iPhone since if it was a Gmail problem, my wife would also be having the problem. Again, this problem is only when receiving invitations on my Calendar, because if I create my own event and set a reminder, it will function (alert) me as it should.

I don't know what else to do! Any ideas of how I can resolve this?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The ONLY way I seem to be able to get any events to show up on my husband's phone is to have MY gmail calendar on his phone AND on mine. He doesn't get an alert til the reminder hits, though.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
My experience from my iPhone to my wife's bionic, was that i set up an event, and it was emailed to her through gmail, where she could accept... once accepted it would be "active"
When she sets up an event, do you get an email notification, or will the alert happen at the time frame specified by options? Ie will you get an alert an hour before the event?
Also, is it possible she has her balancer set up to show all events for current month or week or a larger time frame than you have set up?
Or more events?? Like I have 5 events shown, maybe you only have one event, or are a very important man an have ten events showing and her newly setup event is more than ten events away??
475469b5-186b-52da.jpg

Last edited:

Tyrant2049

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
3cit,

No, i don't get a notification at all. If i look in my calender the I will see the event in my calender and it will be greyed out. I can click on the event and then choose to accept, decline or say maybe. I get no alert, or badge icon letting me know that something has come in.

But Vice Versa, my wife will get the alert to choose accept, decline, Maybe.

mikeheck2009

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I found this searching Google help for exchange and my issue is resolved!

Had the same issue but with iPod touch.

I found this searching Google help for exchange and my issue is resolved!

- To enable 'New events', sign in to your Google Calendar using the web browser on your phone or computer. Go to Calendar Settings > Calendars > Click on the Notifications for the calendar you want to sync. Under Email check 'New events' (and any of the other Invitation settings you want enabled e.g. changed events, cancelled events, event responses), and click Save.

hope this helps you, it worked for me. AND I think these settings in my Google account got changed somehow because this all worked fine for me for a couple of years and just stopped this month, but now it works again! ahhh the little things.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
ok I am resurrecting this thread- I have used google calendar for years and never had the issue where it wasn't sending invites or I wasn't receiving them- Started yesterday- Invited my husband to a number of things and he never got it but it was greyed out in his calendar like Tyrant2k explained- I checked the notification settings and they are all checked to receive the email- I even tried unchecking-saving then rechecking and saving- still nothing. He is also having same issue... Any thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
ok I am resurrecting this thread- I have used google calendar for years and never had the issue where it wasn't sending invites or I wasn't receiving them- Started yesterday- Invited my husband to a number of things and he never got it but it was greyed out in his calendar like Tyrant2k explained- I checked the notification settings and they are all checked to receive the email- I even tried unchecking-saving then rechecking and saving- still nothing. He is also having same issue... Any thoughts?

Have you checked the Mail, Contacts, Calendar settings? See the attached screenshot.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Siri is down and so is voice to text. Think it's all related? Seems weird that it would be but who knows. Created event from iMac and it sent the invite no problem.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Both Siri and voice to text is working in my location, however, when I initially read your post, only Siri worked, but now, both of them work. By the way, someone else asked if Siri was down in a different thread so you're not the only person affected. ;)

1976Hoosiers

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
After hours of searching and right before I smashed my 4S over my knee:mad: I checked one last thing, the Fetch New Data option. If is turned off no push notifications will be delivered i.e. Calendar invites. So pop into the settings for mail, contacts, and calendars and make sure this is turned on. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

R

anonymous239411

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
When I've messed with this, I only received the pop up calendar invitations when both my google calendar and google email was setup as an exchange account. From there I began to receive the pop up calendar notifications.

douglaswilson

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a question which I think fits into this topic. I recently switched from my google calendar to the iCloud calendar. When I receive invitations from a ail account they automatically go to my google calendar and I can't see them unless I turn my google calendar back on. I tried having them sent to my iCloud email address but that doesn't work either. Is there anyway to get invitations which originate on gmail accounts to go to my iCloud account? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a question which I think fits into this topic. I recently switched from my google calendar to the iCloud calendar. When I receive invitations from a ail account they automatically go to my google calendar and I can't see them unless I turn my google calendar back on. I tried having them sent to my iCloud email address but that doesn't work either. Is there anyway to get invitations which originate on gmail accounts to go to my iCloud account? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not certain, but you can try this: Go to Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars and then scroll down and make sure that your "default account" is iCloud AND then scroll to the bottom and make sure that your iCloud calendar is your "default calendar".

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2