Not receiving phone calls

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I came across a new and unexpected problem with my new iPhone 4S. People are calling me, but the phone doesn't ring and there is no change in the screen to indicate that the phone is receiving the call. I don't even get a missed call notification. For the caller, my phone just goes to straight to voice mail without ringing. I get the voice mail notifications, and I can make outgoing calls, but for some reason the phone doesn't ring.

The ringer is turned on and set to max volume. I can receive text messages and can use data.

I've spoken to Verizon tech support and they say that all of my network settings are correct.

I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem, and if so, what they did to fix it.

Thank you.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Try putting the phone into Airplane mode for a minute or so and then back to normal... if that doesn't help - go into Settings>> General>> Reset>> Reset Network Settings

If that does not work... you're going to need to get to Verizon tier 2 support... or, talk with an Apple Genius at a store.

Reactions: Keldog

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm heading to the Apple store today, the tier 2 support checked all of my settings on their end and everything looked good. They seem to think that the device is bad.

Thanks for the reply.

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Update: I took the phone to the Apple Store and they exchanged the phone for a new device. Unfortunately, this has not solved the problem. For some reason, my phone is losing connection with the tower, and the only way to wake it up is to make an outgoing call.

The Verizon rep, who I think was just blowing smoke at me, said that the iPhone has a feature where if you don't turn the device on and off every day, that it will turn off a feature of the phone to make you do this. (what will they think of next?) Personally, I think that the tower near my house is simply overloaded and is turning off voice connections to save capacity.

I dunno.. Verizon isn't too high on my happy list right now. They're checking on some kind of network thing... we shall see.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Also, since you have Verizon, go ahead of update your roaming capabilities, if you haven't already. Doing so has been known to fix network related problems. Dial *228 and then select option 2.

cotton

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon iPhone 4 that has the exact same issue you are describing. I haven't yet done anything about it yet, mostly because it's such a weird problem that I've been wanting find more clues.

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
*228 done (options 1 and 2), also *73 (to make sure call forwarding is deactivated), reset network settings, and Verizon checked my network settings twice on two different days with two different tier 3 network engineers. Hard reset x2, ect..

Still no luck. I called my phone this morning, and it went straight to voice mail.

It's something with my iPhone.. my old Droid Incredible had no problems receiving calls.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Before you take it to a nearby Apple store for replacement, you might want to attach your iPhone to iTunes and restore it as new. If after you've done that and are still unable to receive calls then you can almost be assured that it is a hardware problem.

idrewpage

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I came across a new and unexpected problem with my new iPhone 4S. People are calling me, but the phone doesn't ring and there is no change in the screen to indicate that the phone is receiving the call. I don't even get a missed call notification. For the caller, my phone just goes to straight to voice mail without ringing. I get the voice mail notifications, and I can make outgoing calls, but for some reason the phone doesn't ring.

The ringer is turned on and set to max volume. I can receive text messages and can use data.

I've spoken to Verizon tech support and they say that all of my network settings are correct.

I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem, and if so, what they did to fix it.

Thank you.
I'd call Verizon back or go into a store. Something is odd here. Every time I've talked to tech support, sometime during the call they place a test call to my phone to make sure everything is working. if they didn't, call back or go to a Verizon store.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a issue where I restored my phone and it wouldn't activate at all on Verizon so I gave up went to apple gave me new phone and been good since

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Please, pretty please.. How did he do it? :)

Verizon has basically told me that they can't help me. They offered to exchange my new 4S for a "like new" Droid Incredible 2 or a Droid 3. (seriously) I nearly laughed at the guy on the phone, before I told him no. The icing on the cake was when the rep explained to me that if I did take his offer, that I would still have to buy a battery and back cover myself. He even tried to make it sound like he was doing me a favor. Insanity, at it's finest.

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Took the phone back to the Apple Store last night, the tech said that my phone software kept crashing when he did the diagnostics. He did a full restore, and sent me on my way. Of course, as soon as I got home the phone was back to it's old tricks. Alas.. i've been doing some research and this appears to be a common problem with the 4S.

I'm at a loss, it would seem. Verizon can't fix their network issue and Apple can't make the phone pick up the signal any better at my house. I'm starting to think that it's an iPhone issue, because my Android phone and my Blackberry both have excellent call quality at my house. The consensus among internet peoples is that the antenna on the 4S is the issue.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Took the phone back to the Apple Store last night, the tech said that my phone software kept crashing when he did the diagnostics. He did a full restore, and sent me on my way. Of course, as soon as I got home the phone was back to it's old tricks. Alas.. i've been doing some research and this appears to be a common problem with the 4S.

I'm at a loss, it would seem. Verizon can't fix their network issue and Apple can't make the phone pick up the signal any better at my house. I'm starting to think that it's an iPhone issue, because my Android phone and my Blackberry both have excellent call quality at my house. The consensus among internet peoples is that the antenna on the 4S is the issue.

Are you saying the issue only occurs at home?

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Sadly enough, not just at home. I was at the mall last weekend and didn't get a call from my Dad. But I work from home, so i'm here most of the time. Verizon says that there is a weak signal at my home, but it doesn't seem to affect my wife's iPhone 4, only my 4S. Verizon offered to knock $25 off of a network extender for me, but I was not interested. Probably the only thing that would help at home, but it seemed kinda crazy to need one just for one phone in my household.

I have to admit, this one has me puzzled. For the immediate future, i've reactivated my old Droid. Don't like not getting calls.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sadly enough, not just at home. I was at the mall last weekend and didn't get a call from my Dad. But I work from home, so i'm here most of the time. Verizon says that there is a weak signal at my home, but it doesn't seem to affect my wife's iPhone 4, only my 4S. Verizon offered to knock $25 off of a network extender for me, but I was not interested. Probably the only thing that would help at home, but it seemed kinda crazy to need one just for one phone in my household.

I have to admit, this one has me puzzled. For the immediate future, i've reactivated my old Droid. Don't like not getting calls.

Believe me. I understand, my friend. You have to do what is necessary to keep the line of communications open, especially in business. Also, you mentioned that the geniuses at the Apple store did a full restore and sent you on your way. I'm wondering if they just did a restore by using your last backup instead of a full reset and restore as new. The latter is definitely recommended when troubleshooting because you never know if something installed via a third party app is the culprit. By starting completely fresh can help single out such apps, if applicable.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If they say it's a signal issue at home keep pushing they will give you a network extender for free ..
If iPhone 4 has no issues it has to be hardware related
Do any friends have a 4s that have same issue at your house ?

Does your phone work five when In a strong signal area like full bars outside ?