AT&T's LTE 4G Network...Power Hog?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I am currently using a new iPhone 4s that was a replacement for another new iP4s that was exchanged because of horribly bad battery life. Well...this one is almost as bad, even after following every protocol I've found here and on other boards that claim to minimize and even cure the issue altogether. I even wasted my time on an app called "Carat" which tells you absolutely nothing at all except what apps are using the most juice...and that's something even a non-brain surgeon like me can figure out pretty much!

This phone, like the one before it, was loaded with the latest 5.1.1 OS update...and both were/are showing to be connected with AT&T's new LTE "4G" network. The iP4 & iP4s I have had in the past were both only connected with the "3G" network and both seemed to have at least twice the battery life these two "new" phones do.

So, is AT&T's new LTE "4G" network to blame? Is it, along with the latest 5.1.1 OS guilty of being the power hog, and not the phone itself?

I'd be interested to see how other AT&T iP4s users feel...as well as from some Verizon users as to how their providers LTE network is when it comes to battery life.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The iPhone 4S does not run on LTE. It runs on HSPA+ which AT&T is currently calling "4G". But HSPA+ is really just a newer faster 3G network type.

I believe it was with 5.1 that Apple added the "4G" network icon to the iPhone 4S for carriers to use on their HSPA+ networks. AT&T and Tmobile both do this currently.

On Verizon it also runs only on 3G.

Last edited:

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
The iPhone 4S does not run on LTE. It runs on HSPA+ which AT&T is currently calling "4G". But HSPA+ is really just a newer faster 3G network type.

I believe it was with 5.1 that Apple added the "4G" network icon to the iPhone 4S for carriers to use on their HSPA+ networks. AT&T and Tmobile both do this currently.

On Verizon it also runs only on 3G.

Ok, you're smarter than me. Doesn't take much.

So...there is no correlation to the "new" 4G network from AT&T and profound new battery drain?

Uselessbass

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

So...there is no correlation to the "new" 4G network from AT&T and profound new battery drain?

No it prob has more to do with the fact u have a duel core CPU on the 4s and of course iOS 5 has had reports of weird battery issues I wouldn't think hspa+ is the problem since its a evolution off of hspa which the iPhone 4 has used since 2010

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

Well what exactly is battery drain? If you're losing an hours worth of usage, that's borderline. Losing two hours? That's a problem.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Well what exactly is battery drain? If you're losing an hours worth of usage, that's borderline. Losing two hours? That's a problem.

First iP4s I had, I came off charger @ 100% at 6am...was still at 60% at 7pm when I left work. Medium usage.

Present iP4s, comes off charger @ 100% at 6am...is at 20% by 2pm. Same usage.

Do you see an issue?

Keldog

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd start going through my apps one at a time, maybe there is one that keeps updating or using data continuously throughout the day. Also, you might try and see if there is an app that will check your battery health. A friend's iPhone 4 had a bad battery and didn't make it to lunch.

I'm on Verizon, but my battery life is pretty good. I have 50% or more at the end of the day.

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Also make sure that you close all unused apps as they can cause the battery to drain as well because they are still technically open just put in the back. Also make sure to not use the brightness level so high as that kills the battery quick as well.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
First iP4s I had, I came off charger @ 100% at 6am...was still at 60% at 7pm when I left work. Medium usage.

Present iP4s, comes off charger @ 100% at 6am...is at 20% by 2pm. Same usage.

Do you see an issue?

Dual-core processor needs more juice it would seem.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Also make sure that you close all unused apps as they can cause the battery to drain as well because they are still technically open just put in the back. Also make sure to not use the brightness level so high as that kills the battery quick as well.

Apps in the fast app switcher are not running, they are in suspended state. They are given no CPU time and thus consume no extra battery power. An app my run a specific task in the background such as audio streaming or GPS navigation. But unless an app is actively doing one of these tasks it is not running, it is just sitting the RAM which is always "on" while the device is powered on and requires very little power.

Brightness, yes; the screens use a large amount of power. So put it as low as you can bare and use auto setting.

Milenkod

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
The CPU cores are actually pretty efficient...whether 1 or 2 cores. a dual core isn't that much more power hungry doing basic phone tasks. I think the second core even shuts off when the phone is idle.

The bigger power hog is the screen. If you can learn to live with a dim screen it'll go a long way to boost your battery life.

Of course, there are those rogue apps that continue to run while the phone is in sleep mode. But that's lesser of a culprit on iOS devices....but it can/does happen. Location based apps are hogs because they poll the GPS all the time. Another thought is on the 4s, you have Siri...that uses power as it's using OTA data. it can contribute to poor battery life if you're constantly using that too.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Well have you done in depth tests regaridng this so called battery issue? Because i know from expierence when you leave wifi on all day( and have enabled ask to join ) that can consume alot of battery life. That along with not shutting down apps that you use as well as a bunch of toher settings which we need to get first before making any sort of suggestion to you.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The CPU cores are actually pretty efficient...whether 1 or 2 cores. a dual core isn't that much more power hungry doing basic phone tasks. I think the second core even shuts off when the phone is idle.

The bigger power hog is the screen. If you can learn to live with a dim screen it'll go a long way to boost your battery life.

Of course, there are those rogue apps that continue to run while the phone is in sleep mode. But that's lesser of a culprit on iOS devices....but it can/does happen. Location based apps are hogs because they poll the GPS all the time. Another thought is on the 4s, you have Siri...that uses power as it's using OTA data. it can contribute to poor battery life if you're constantly using that too.

You are likely right about the cores. It makes sense it would shut one off when not needed but I really don't know all that much on how it works or how the A5 chip functions. I don't have a 4S but I've traded with my bro for 2 weeks before and he used my 4. I thought the 4S did have significantly less battery life than the 4 did/does in my short test drive. The only real difference I could attribute it too was the dual core chip and I don't know about Siri because I didn't really use it all that much.

I always keep "ask to join" networks turned off. I do keep my brightness at about 70% with auto turned on. Location services on.

Last edited:

erikbock

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Things to think about.

1. Do you have any apps using location services that you really don't need. This will drain a battery quickly.

2. Notifications. I had a major problem with te iP4 and Notifications. Every time something popped up it lights up the screen.

3. Service. We all know AT&T has spotty service at best and that is an issue for me. I have to use a M-Cell at work and I'm normally around -105 db at home so my battery goes quickly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2