iPhone Stolen, what do you do?

NEO2126

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
Well some jerk decided to steal my phone Sunday... I'm just curious if any of you have had this happen, what did YOU do? I used find my iPhone app, locked it, went for a remote wipe, but they shut off the phone or disabled location services. I called ATT and got the phone fully disabled too so it can't connect to any cell network ever, but does that disable WIFI too? Pollice reports have been filed, but I am not expecting to ever see that phone again....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You seem to have done everything you're suppose to do:

1. Attempt to locate it via 'Find my iPhone'
2. Notify your carrier
3. Remote wipe
4. Notify police and report the theft
5. Re-trace your steps just in case it isn't stolen
6. If your device is insured, notify Assurian or whoever insures your device and make arrangements for a replacement.

As for Wi-Fi, the alleged thief will have to turn the phone on to use that particular feature and turning on the phone runs the risk of he, she or the device being located. Anyway, it is my understanding that Wi-Fi is still accessible, but I'm not 100% certain.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I called ATT and got the phone fully disabled too so it can't connect to any cell network ever

Not true. I can take that phone to any provider in the world as long as it's not in the US and it will work just fine. Sucks though, hope you have insurance.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the IMEI blocking has been initiated from AT&T yet.

You've pretty much done everything you can do, unfortunately, your next step will probably need to be looking for a new phone.

NEO2126

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
According to ATT last night, they said the IMEI is blocked and the phone is not able to connect to ANY carrier, unless they manage to reprogram the IMEI.... I'm finding more questions yet than answers.. such as I changed all my iCloud passwords, but if the phone accesses WIFI are those changes done on my computer pushed to the phone?? if they shut off the find myiphone feature, i'll never be able to get the remote lock/wipe in anyway, but like I said I'm trying to shut them out of my iMessages, email etc....

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
According to ATT last night, they said the IMEI is blocked and the phone is not able to connect to ANY carrier, unless they manage to reprogram the IMEI....
This is true but there are, I assume, a lot of places willing to reprogram it, especially outside the U.S.
I'm finding more questions yet than answers..
We don't have to respond at all, however, we are choosing to help you as best as we know how so please be patient and grateful.
such as I changed all my iCloud passwords, but if the phone accesses WIFI are those changes done on my computer pushed to the phone??
Not that I'm aware of. The passwords are kept local. Meaning that the the thief will have to insert your new password in order to access your stuff. At least that is my understanding.
if they shut off the find myiphone feature, i'll never be able to get the remote lock/wipe in
If youve logged onto to icloud via a computer and initiated the wipe feature, it should wipe the device as soon as it is turned on and connected to the Internet whether via wifi or cellular network.
anyway, but like I said I'm trying to shut them out of my iMessages, email etc....
I understand your fear. Again, you seem to be doing everything you need to do. Make sure your iTunes and Apple ID password has been changed, just in case.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
AT&T new program will only add the stolen imei to its own blacklist I'm sure the phone will still work on t-mobile and any other gsm carrier outside the U.S.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
AT&T new program will only add the stolen imei to its own blacklist I'm sure the phone will still work on t-mobile and any other gsm carrier outside the U.S.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S

This is correct. They said they are working on a solution to blacklist all carriers but who knows how long that will take.

NEO2126

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
I guess I can only go by what ATT said.... no US carrier will work, if they wanna take the phone someplace else, whatever... chances are good they've wiped the phone anyway by now, all the passwords are changed and everything so, aside from what was on the phone, nothing is going to be updated... still want to kick the person in the face, but life goes on

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Celebrate now you have a perfect reason to buy the new model in October!! Sorry to hear about your loss I hate criminals and low lifes that think taking other peoples stuff is ok.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I would check into your homeowner's/renter's/car insurance and see if you can make a claim with them. I once had 88 CDs stolen out of my car. My car insurance didn't cover the CDs but my homeowner's did. So I got a check from them. I'd at least look into that to see if you can recoup a little of your loss.

If you had it insured through Asurion, make a claim there, too, to get yourself on another phone.

The others have made good suggestions, but it sounds like you've done everything you can.

I wish you the best of luck in a bad situation.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S

I thought Verizon or sprint were the only ones who could do that never seen a backlist gsm iPhone on eBay ..

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

aaimbrogno

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
happened to me yesterday... cops said it's becoming a huge problem. I'm wondering if there's anything you can do to brick the phone when it's stolen, or if any steps are being taken by phone companies and wireless providers to make theft harder or less profitable.

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I've recently purchased "IGotYa", a jailbreak app that takes a picture and sends an email with the pic and GPS location anytime someone tries to unlock the phone and enters the wrong passcode. The phone can only be turned off after the passcode is entered; attempting to turn the phone off when locked also takes the picture and sends the email. So far this app has done everything it claims to do in all my testing.

Obviously this solution is not for everyone - the phone has to be jailbroken first. I'm just throwing this out for info only.

aaimbrogno

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've recently purchased "IGotYa", a jailbreak app that takes a picture and sends an email with the pic and GPS location anytime someone tries to unlock the phone and enters the wrong passcode. The phone can only be turned off after the passcode is entered; attempting to turn the phone off when locked also takes the picture and sends the email. So far this app has done everything it claims to do in all my testing.

Obviously this solution is not for everyone - the phone has to be jailbroken first. I'm just throwing this out for info only.

Yeah funny thing is I did have that app, but it ended up emailing me a bunch of pictures of me because I kept getting my password wrong all the time so I deleted it. Wish I hadn't now that it's been stolen! But it was the first thing I downloaded onto my replacement. Nobody's going to get away with stealing my phone again!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a great idea except first thing anyone should do it pop out the sim card it can take pics for days and not be able to send them .. Also dfu mode would let you just restore the phone .. A Verizon model might be more difficult thou

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah funny thing is I did have that app, but it ended up emailing me a bunch of pictures of me because I kept getting my password wrong all the time so I deleted it. Wish I hadn't now that it's been stolen! But it was the first thing I downloaded onto my replacement. Nobody's going to get away with stealing my phone again!

That does stink thou people who steal phones deserve what they get

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro