Soaked iPhone - Works but Battery Drains Fast

Dome

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I recently dropped my iPhone 4S into a lake. It was submerged for a few minutes before I was able to retreive the phone but much to my suprise, it was still working (the screen was on when I pulled it out of the water).

I tried to turn the phone off, but after doing so it immediatley reset and turned back on. I tried several times using the standard software reset method or also using the power+home button hard shutoff. Either way, it would shut down and then immediatley turn back on.

I was way back into the woods and was not going to get out to civilization for several days so there was nothing I could do with respect to the dried rice trick. So, I blew as much water out of the ports as I could and just let the battery drain down and hoped for the best.

I let the battery drain completely and then after about 5 days I was back to civilization and plugged it in to charge it. It seemed to charge fine and everything appears to be working perfectly...except that it still will not shutdown without immediatley turning back on and the battery seems to drain very quickly, even in airplane mode with everything shut off.

Any ideas on what I can do? Is it worth it at this point (a week later) to take the back panel off and set it in rice? Im sure its all dry by now... Or, should I just get Apple to replace the batter and see what that does?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would take the back off there is prob still alil water .. Take it off for piece of mind then I would replace the battery since you have it open

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ctc799

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me with my iPhone 4. I ordered a new battery through iFixit.com (cheaper than an out-of-warranty repair at Apple) and it was very easy to replace with no problems since. I would definitely take the back off as soon as possible to blow some air through all the corners of the device though.

The hardest part of the whole process was living 4 days tethered to a charger. :p

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You're warranty's gone soo look for a new battery and an "how to" guide to replace the battery. I'd clean the phone and ports as well before reassembling.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Battery swap is pretty simple ... Screen swap a little harder lol .. ..

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

graceann07

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I recently dropped my iPhone 4S into a lake. It was submerged for a few minutes before I was able to retreive the phone but much to my suprise, it was still working (the screen was on when I pulled it out of the water).

I tried to turn the phone off, but after doing so it immediatley reset and turned back on. I tried several times using the standard software reset method or also using the power+home button hard shutoff. Either way, it would shut down and then immediatley turn back on.

I was way back into the woods and was not going to get out to civilization for several days so there was nothing I could do with respect to the dried rice trick. So, I blew as much water out of the ports as I could and just let the battery drain down and hoped for the best.

I let the battery drain completely and then after about 5 days I was back to civilization and plugged it in to charge it. It seemed to charge fine and everything appears to be working perfectly...except that it still will not shutdown without immediatley turning back on and the battery seems to drain very quickly, even in airplane mode with everything shut off.

Any ideas on what I can do? Is it worth it at this point (a week later) to take the back panel off and set it in rice? Im sure its all dry by now... Or, should I just get Apple to replace the batter and see what that does?

Any thoughts?

oh,...sorry to hear that...i think your battery was affected that's why it's drain very quickly...maybe you should buy a new battery for your iphone 4s...

samthelegoman1

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Here's a "hush-hush" solution: since the water indicators have obviously been tripped, take a very thin paintbrush, dip it in a little bleach, and apply inside the headphone jack and in the dock. This will return the water sensors to white, which may get you a free replacement from Apple. Try at your own risk 😉

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner