What is the dang problem with the battery life in my iPhone 4s??

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I just bought another iPhone 4s after mine was stolen from my workplace, and I am shocked by the shortness of battery life in the new one! Actually, it's my new replacement since my local AT&T corporate store manager was kind enough to allow me to exchange my first one in-store since my nearest Apple store is close to 200-miles away. And, I exchanged the first one because the battery life sucked so bad. It is MUCH worse than any other iPhone I've ever had.

Before you tell me all the ways to conserve battery life, let me tell you I have:

*Turned off Siri (why should I have to?)
*Turned off Location services ( why should I have to?)
*Turned off most notifications (why should I have to?)
*Turned screen brightness down to 50%
*Turned off auto dim on screen
*Turned off WiFi (why should I have to?)
*Been diligent about keeping all apps turned off that run in the background

Still, after pulling the phone off of an overnight charge at 100% at 7am...I am down to 20% by 2pm!! And, I am far from a "power user". I will never play a game or listen to much music.

The phone is running the 5.1.1 OS out of the box, and the phone shows it is using AT&T 4G network for data.

So...is it 5.1.1 or the AT&T 4S that's drinking my battery power?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's all fine and dandy listing everything you did to conserve power but the only things that really tells us how your battery really is by listing the "usage time" from your phone.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Get a spare battery and battery charger and always keep a spare battery ready to be swapped. Oh wait you can't do that! j/k HOWEVER, you can get an extra charger or two and keep then at your different locations. Keep one at home, one at the office and one in the laptop bag, this way you will ALWAY have a charger handy. Charge it on the fly, and don't worry so much about using the phone's features. It's what I do! :)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It's all fine and dandy listing everything you did to conserve power but the only things that really tells us how your battery really is by listing the "usage time" from your phone.

Agreed

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Yep. I use mine normally and usually get home from an 8 hour work day with about 75-85% battery left. I could probably go 2.5 days on the same charge. Most people, including me, seem to gt around 5-7 hours actual "screen on" usage time. I wouldn't hope for much more.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Going into Settings > General > Usage and looking at the Usage and Standby will tell you how much time you really spend on your phone and how much time it's been on total regardless of being used.

Personally, Twitter and Instagram drain my battery the most versus sending messages and listening to music. I am up by 6am and usually by the time I get home at 6:30 or 7pm I still have at least 30% left, depending on if I got to use my phone much during the work day.

I keep Siri on, location services are on for two, maybe three apps, my brightness is at around 75%, etc. I charge my phone at night while I sleep and haven't had any issues. When traveling, I keep a charger in my purse.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I use mine normally and usually get home from an 8 hour work day with about 75-85% battery left. I could probably go 2.5 days on the same charge. Most people, including me, seem to gt around 5-7 hours actual "screen on" usage time. I wouldn't hope for much more.

I'm in about where you are as well. The other day I was at 2days 20hrs standby just shy of 7hrs usage, but there are days that i use my phone alot - up to 6hrs in one day and only get 1day 16hrs standby on those days.

If you use your phone alot in one day, then yes, your battery is going to reflect that - so if your a "power user" be sure to have a charger available in all places your are for just in case, OR you could invest in a case that supplies additional battery like a Mophie Juice Pack, either the Plus or Air.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the problem may be your carrier. If you do not get good signal near your location your phone may be constantly looking for it. Also, if you set this phone up through a backup corrupt files may be the cause. Restore and set up a new phone and set up your phone through iCloud.

LaDon08

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Is auto brightness better or worse for battery life? I had previously heard that keeping it on is better which partially makes sense, but that also means that a sensor is always on.

Genius guy told me that off is the way to go.

Clarification would be nice. I keep my brightness around 30 percent. I wish I could keep it higher but refuse to sacrifice the battery.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site

161f60b5.jpg

Well...? Is that unusual battery drain?

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Here it is at 4:50pm...

Am I crying the blues about nothing, or do I have an issue? I'd appreciate some help.:confused:

6d3a3fd1.jpg

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 17028
Not sure if this helps... My battery life usually stinks too. Today was an unusually light usage day for me.... I invested in a mophie juice pack plus case and now i never worry about running out of battery. My kid's both have the iphone 4 and they get better battery life than my 4s.

Hyster1a

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Did u try Carat?

App Store - Carat To be honest didnt see any reports of my phone.

Also I always read that using wifi improve the battery life, and in my case is true. My battery drain faster using data. You are a heavy user of twitter, facebook, web navegation?

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Based on what I've observed, the most power draw from "casual" use is when you actually touch the screen. I suspect that in order for Apple to provide that silky-smooth user interface, the CPU must go all of the way up to eleven every time your fingers make contact with the digitizer.

It isn't an obvious thing, but consider how slow the battery runs down while watching a movie or reading a book vs. web browsing. You'd think that the wifi or celluar data is the killer, but if you stream video over a radio but don't touch the screen, the battery doesn't drain nearly as fast. When you're browsing, you're usually constantly touching, swiping, hitting the keyboard, zooming in and out.

If you want your battery to last longer, stop touching it all of the time!

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the screen shots provided should be using the battery that fast. But it also depends on what you're doing with the phone during the usage time. If you're on phone calls the whole time, that might be normal.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know the 4s did 4G on AT&T. Can it be switched to 3G ? Last Sunday at home sprint must have had a problem with a tower or maybe they working on one in my area. For most of the day I was roaming on a extended network and itwas killing my batt. When it went back to Sprint batt life returned to normal.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Did u try Carat?

App Store - Carat To be honest didnt see any reports of my phone.

Also I always read that using wifi improve the battery life, and in my case is true. My battery drain faster using data. You are a heavy user of twitter, facebook, web navegation?

I have been using the Carat app for a couple of days now...and I don't know if it's really legit or not. It tells me to "reopen" and "kill" certain apps I have running. I pretty much know that Facebook and Craigslist apps are big energy hogs.

It also tells me to "Upgrade OS Version"...but I'm already on 5.1.1 out of the box. There is not a more current OS version, and what good would it do me to restore the phone "as a new pho ne"?

taylorz_412

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I have been using the Carat app for a couple of days now...and I don't know if it's really legit or not. It tells me to "reopen" and "kill" certain apps I have running. I pretty much know that Facebook and Craigslist apps are big energy hogs.

It also tells me to "Upgrade OS Version"...but I'm already on 5.1.1 out of the box. There is not a more current OS version, and what good would it do me to restore the phone "as a new pho ne"?

I used that app for about a week or so and it never gave me any results at all

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This is what I get on my Sprint 4S. This based on one phone call about 30 min long. Hundreds of texts, played Fight Night Champion for about 20 min, Played Paper Toss for about 15 min and checking email constantly. I have push email turned off, All location services off, Screen brightness varies based on being outdoors. Siri is on. Wifi stays on. I'm not a power user by any means. Last full charge was around 1:30 PM July 4 this snapshot July 5 12:22pm

IMG_0314.png

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73