iPhone won't turn off!!!

mjcarter

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a verizon iPhone 4S and for whatever reason it won't power off. When I hold down the power button and slide to power off, the little icon spins around for a few seconds and then the screen goes black. about 2 seconds later the apple logo appears and the phone turns on. What the heck is going on with this and how can i fix it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hold the power button and home button simultaneously until your device restarts (see the Apple logo). After it boots to the home screen, let it access your service provider's network and then power down your device by holding the power button and then sliding to turn off. Hopefully, that will do the trick for you. Hopefully! ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Reactions: mjcarter

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
This is what I do: plug in phone to charger. Then hold down power button on top and slide across screen to power down. If you turn off then plug in the phone comes back on. Good luck op.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mjcarter

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
This is what I do: plug in phone to charger. Then hold down power button on top and slide across screen to power down. If you turn off then plug in the phone comes back on. Good luck op.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

So I just did this and the phone stayed off, but if I turn it off unplugged, it resets itself.

mjcarter

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I would try a restore

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Ok, did a restore and nothing. The same thing is happening. I guess its really not that big a deal, but it would be nice to be able to turn my phone off when I need to. Thanks for all the suggestions and help with this issue.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you have an older restore? If so restore as new then restore to the backup.

could always jailbreak and use SBSettings... :D

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Try a restore n set up as new if it still does it then take to apple if it's in warranty they will replace it

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...snipped...The same thing is happening. I guess its really not that big a deal, but it would be nice to be able to turn my phone off when I need to. ...snipped...

It is a big deal, in my opinion because your device is not doing what it is suppose to do and that is to shutdown when prompted with and without being plugged in. Your last option would be to 'restore as new', but if you're near an Apple Store, I suggest you take it there and let one of the geniuses troubleshoot it and possibly replace it.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
attachment.php

mdbrownca

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks "JustMe'D". This did the trick.

I tried everything else including reset, restore, clean contacts, etc. The trick was to do a the combination of holding power-home buttons followed by powering down normally.

Hold the power button and home button simultaneously until your device restarts (see the Apple logo). After it boots to the home screen, let it access your service provider's network and then power down your device by holding the power button and then sliding to turn off. Hopefully, that will do the trick for you. Hopefully! ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen