New iPhone 4S

MyNewI

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, just recently got a new iPhone 4S and am enjoying it so far after my old Blackberry Curve. However, I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with:

- How do I make a song a ringtone? I can't do it on my phone and can't seem to do it on iTunes? How about movies? I can't seem to drag an avi file onto the phone... I'm sure its easy, but...

- Where do I get all the themes? I really like the big clock HTC type theme, but can't seem to find it in the App store?

- Reception out at our lake lot seems very poor compared to my BB. I read on the 'net about "bumpers" Do they act as auxillary antennas to improve receptions? Is any "bumper" better for this than another?

- How do I get it unlocked for use in the US (I'm in Canada) when I travel? I don't want to incur extra roaming charges and the like. With my BB I got it unlocked by getting a number for $10 online. Then I just picked up another sim card wherever I was and used the local carrier. Is the process similar for the iPhone? Who do you suggest I deal with to get it unlocked in a similar manner?

Thanks for the help........

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ringtones: there's an app for that. http://www.imore.com/2012/02/29/iphone-app-creating-ringtones-ringtonium/

Movies: You can either convert the file on computer to something iTunes will handle & sync to you phone... or, there are apps for that.

Themes: a few apps for that, or jailbreak and there are tons. Jailbreak info/help is in the appropriate section of the forum - or, above - click the "How-To" link and you'll find everything you need to know.

Bumpers: They're not auxiliary antennae. They simply lessen the attenuation of signal depending on how the phone is held.

Unlocking: depends on how you bought the phone - might be something you carrier's support people can tell you about... or there's unlocking you can do on your own as a part of jailbreaking - help can be had for that in the appropriate forum section.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello and welcome.

As far as ringtones are concerned I never use any so I have not to much experience with them.

Themes are only available if you jailbreak and they would be in cydia.

Reception with "antenna gate" was for the most part fixed I believe with the 4s. The main problem existed with the iPhone 4. Apple re positioned the antenna a bit I believe on the 4s. Everyone mileage will very but I never had a problem with any iPhone.

To unlock the phone I think the carrier might be able to do it. But once you jailbreak I know there are options for sure.

Check the jailbreak forum for more information on themes and unlocking.

Have fun and welcome

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!! The site is great - tons of friendly, helpful people and awesome tips!! I'm a former BlackBerry convert myself. I've had a few moments when I've missed my Berry but they are few and far between!!

Onto your questions:

I usually use this site to make my ringtones (it just walks you through the steps using iTunes): How to Make Custom iPhone Ringtones for Free | eHow.com

As these other guys have said, themes are only available through jailbreaking. I jail broke my iPhone a couple of weeks ago and am restoring it back to stock as I type this. There are a few nice features but, for me, it wasn't worth keeping. Definitely head over to the jailbreak forums to learn more! The actual jailbreak process is extremely easy.

You shouldn't have an issues with reception - the 4S has a dual antenna that supposedly removed the need for a bumper. The reason bumpers were needed were because of the positioning of the antenna in the iPhone 4. If you held the phone a certain way it blocked out your cell reception.

As far as unlocking the device, start with your carrier then go from there. Some carriers unlock your phones free of charge (my old boss frequently traveled back to India and T-Mobile unlocked his device no problem). If you decide to jailbreak, that's always an option too!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal