Are there really 3000 emails on my 4S???

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I've got an iMac and a gmail account and a 4S. Getting totally rid of emails on the Mac is not really intuitive. I delete them and they are still in All Mail, gotta go to Mailboxes and empty deleted items, I finally figured that one out. But on the 4S I go to All Mail and it says 3000! WUWT and can they all really be there still? How do I got rid of them? Thanks in advance. I get most of the phone stuff, but this isn't really making sense.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Keeping the devices in sync is a tough nut to crack. I have a BlackBerry which is said to do it best, and I STILL get it wrong sometimes, especially with my BB tablet, my PlayBook. :( Goodluck!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like you're using Gmail, which stores everything to "All Mail," including the trash. Since it takes up minimal space anywhere, and can be very handy, I wouldn't worry about it.

jalba3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If you're using the Mail app on the desktop, you can configure it to either archive or delete the actual message. As for the iPhone, I have my GMail set up as an exchange and I set that up to move items to trash when I chose to delete. The default behavior was to archive but I'm not one to archive and usually have everything pretty organized within the appropriate labels.

J.m.H

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I've got an iMac and a gmail account and a 4S. Getting totally rid of emails on the Mac is not really intuitive. I delete them and they are still in All Mail, gotta go to Mailboxes and empty deleted items, I finally figured that one out. But on the 4S I go to All Mail and it says 3000! WUWT and can they all really be there still? How do I got rid of them? Thanks in advance. I get most of the phone stuff, but this isn't really making sense.

Yeah, I'd say it's gmail that is not intuitive. In this case nothing to do with your Mac or iPhone. gmail just doesn't make sense.

I know this is kind of a pain but whenever I am having some weird account problem with Mail or Calendar or Contacts, I just delete the account (or you can disable it) then create a new one. This pretty much gives you a clean slate.

Also log in to your gmail account via the Web and make sure all your stuff is where you want it and deleted or whatever else.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes for you.

M

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue with Gmail well over 1500 emails archived going back to November 2011.

Google Voice sends a email to Gmail whenever I get a text or a missed call which is a good thing because I found phone numbers I had lost. I'll keep the archive on just got to manage it better.