Could you survive with just an iPhone?

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
My Windows 7 laptop has recently broken and I have been forced to ask myself a question: should I get repaired, should I get it replaced, or can I just do without it altogether? I have an iPhone, I use it all the time. I see people sitting right next to their laptops and just sit typing away on their phone, so my question is do we really need laptops as much is we used to?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The answer is arguably yes. I am on my iPhone 95% of the time in comparison to my iPad and my MacBook here in NC and that's because my temporary living arrangement does not have Internet access and my home will not be complete for another 30 days. After that, my iPhone usage will probably drop to around 55% with 40% going to the iPad and the remaining 5% going to my macBook. For the record, my usage would be the same no matter what smartphone I would have. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The short answer, IMVHO, is "Yes". Especially if you are talking about personal usage. Now if it is work, it will really depend upon your job. This guy Has been "Mobile" only for a few years now. He just recently got an iPad. He has a neat story.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the next gen iphone if it has 4" + screen if not then no. 3.5 just is just not enough to watch anything on for an extended period of time for me.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I think you could. The only thing you would miss is a few videos on sites that still use flash. You can do anything else on the phone.

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I used my iPhone almost 99% of my personal computer time until I got my iPad. Considering the fact that my Toughbook still has a floppy disk drive, one USB and can barely handle iTunes it just doesn't handle my PC needs. Now that I have an iPad I do use it quite a bit, but honestly it is more my daughters' as they use it more. I'm in the camp that the iPhone screen is just the right size, you can still easily access everything on screen while holding it one handed, and it gives off a beautiful picture.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I still have a need to write papers and prefer a physical keyboard while doing that, so I could never survive with just an iPhone or even iPad. There are just too many limitations on those two devices when it comes to "computing" for me, so I'll always have a "real" computer at home.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a computer at home and I manage quite well. My laptop broke some time ago and I never bothered to get it fixed. At the time, I just had a BlackBerry and it did what I needed it to do as far as Internet, IM and email went. Now with the iPhone, I can't see a need for a laptop plus a way to connect to the internet either through tethering or adding an ISP at home. I'm around computers all day long at work and the last thing I want to do when I get home is sit in front of another one. :)

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My laptop broke last year. Other than wanting to try jailbreak out I have not get anything to use. Found that the iPad has worked well for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

april_n_paris

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I recently researched and wrote a 3800 word story for a magazine down in the Caribbean using my iPod Touch and a wifi connection. I've just upgraded to an iPhone 4S with the notion that perhaps, I don't really need a laptop. I don't really care so much for the touch screen, which is why I bought a bluetooth keyboard.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I should have mentioned that if you choose to go this route...a BT keyboard would be a worthy investment for longer, papers, etc. that is what I do with both my iP4 and iPad. Very handy!

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what YOU need or want to do. I can do about 90~95% of my computer stuff on my iPad, but most of it is easier on a full size computer. Then there are the things that cannot be done on a mobile (as opposed to a portable) device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods