Just got a 4S, what am I missing?

piaband

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I just got a 4s from work. I'm a longtime Android user. I've set the phone up and there is nothing to really personalize the phone or play with. Is this phone just boring or what am I missing?

Edit: I really do want to love the phone. I just dont know how to get the most out of it. Not trying to knock it.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Download Absinthe JB and JB the phone. Then you'll be able to customize it and get the most out of it. I JB my iPhone when the Absinthe JB came out a couple weeks ago and I love the tweaks I can do with it.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I was afraid this would be the answer. It is a work phone so I'm not sure I want to JB yet. What is available after jailbreaking?

Better question is what's not available.

Themes. Tweaks. Tethering. Better wifi apps. Home screens. Lock screens. Five icon docks. You name it, it's in Cydia (The JB repository).

I don't know if you know this and forgive me if you do, but a jailbreak is 100% reversible so if you do decide to JB and you hate it, you can go back to stock and no one will know the wiser.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got a 4s from work. I'm a longtime Android user. I've set the phone up and there is nothing to really personalize the phone or play with. Is this phone just boring or what am I missing?

Edit: I really do want to love the phone. I just dont know how to get the most out of it. Not trying to knock it.

Not much to do besides change the wallpaper without jailbreaking. Not that it's boring, necessarily--just that most of the "fun" will take place inside of an app...have you explored the App Store yet? If you jb, you can theme your phone to change the look of every last detail; you can install widgets, tweaks, and extensions to customize how you use it; etc. (Much more Android like in that way.) Sacrifice is that you'll likely not be able to update as easily if you want to keep the jailbreak.

I'd say live with it for a week or so, see what you think. If you're still bored, try a jb. If you don't like that, it's easy to restore to stock in iTunes.

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Let me try to put this in perspective for you as a former Android "fanboy" who came over to the iPhone. I can relate to your desire to customize widgets and other things, and when my iPhone was stock, it was...well....boring. I learned that although the interface was simplistic, the ability for the phone to sync seamlessly and trouble-free with my Mac and my Apple TV was absolutely AWESOME. All the apps also worked without a hitch-no Androidlike hangups, freezes, crashes...it was absolutely a breath of fresh air. This phone is ideal as a work phone-especially if your work computers are Mac based. Those who are PC guys exclusively may find the iPhone a bit troublesome and has some glitches..though not a whole lot. I can honestly say once I used the phone for a couple months, I will never go back to Android. No matter how big a screen they make. lol :D..
As far as Jailbreaking, it is an easy process. It's definitely nothing like rooting an Android (which was a pain in the izzazz). The phone can easily be restored back to stock if you need to turn it back in or have it serviced. I jailbroke mine about six months after I got it, and I love it even more now. You can add clock and weather widgets, you can add wireless tethering, you can add Facetime over 3G, blah blah blah. Plenty of threads in here and on other sites that outline all the jailbreaking capabilities.
I just have to summarize by telling you to give it some time. It's definitely one of those things that you have to USE the iPhone for a while before realizing how simple it is, how trouble-free, and how not having useless widgets and fancy buttons matters not when you have a phone that performs like it should. I know a lot of the newer Androids aren't plagued by the random reboots and battery pull issues that my Droid X had, but those problems got me so ticked with them that I made the leap. Yes, I was a bit frustrated by the lack of features akin to Android on the iPhone, but once you find workarounds and substitutes, the iPhone works just fine. Jailbreaking is the ultimate way to squeeze all the functionalit out of this phone, and I am going to stay jailbroken as long as I have an iPhone.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
By the way--as much of an advocate for jailbreaking as I am--it might be helpful if you can point out specific things you're missing from the Android experience. It can be overwhelming when we all just start spouting off about all the options out there!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got a 4s from work.
Congratulations! Also, I'm assuming this is a 'work-related' phone.
I'm a longtime Android user.
There are many of us here who came over from the Android platform and I'm one of them.
I've set the phone up and there is nothing to really personalize the phone or play with.
First of all, it is not an Android device so get out of the Android mindset and I'm saying this respectfully, of course. Secondly, if this is a 'work' phone, you might want to leave it as-is.
Is this phone just boring or what am I missing?
Boring? That's debatable. If you're basing that description on the ability to customize like you can with an Android device then it may be considered boring, but you can jailbreak it and then customize it. Still, if it's a work phone, I wouldn't do that.

Get out of the mindset of having an Android device and take some time to enjoy the simplicity and power of your new iPhone 4S. Furthermore, If you were to remove the desire to customize it, would you be able to do everything else you want to do with it as well as the things you were able to do with your Android device(s)? I would argue that you would. For the record, I was heavy into rooting and customizing the Android devices that I had, especially the EVO 4G, but I flashed so much to the point where I lost the desire to customize and now I am enjoying my iPhone 4S in a manner it is intended to be enjoyed -- as-is.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:
Reactions: *book

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
To each their own. I don't find customizing or changing icons that much fun. It's all about the apps and functionality. You "personalize" it with your set of apps and how you use it.

Just as an example. I have a thousand or so books on my iphone in ibooks. It's my primary reader for novels. Netflix, Air Video, and other apps means always having something to watch. Logmein gives me access to my pc. Tethering gives me data for laptop on the go. Navigon and music apps make the experience in the car so much better using a proclip mount. Airplay with apple tv.

That's just a few. You're really bored because you can't screw around changing icons or waste time with useless widgets?

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Have you never SEEN an iPhone before?? Sorry, just not sure how you were apparently blind sided by this.

*book

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site

I've been watching this thread because I'm a former Android user/new to the iPhone experience and like the OP, had been wondering what I was missing. I had a rooted Samsung, which my son rooted for me, mostly just to remove the bloatware and customize a few things. I'm by no means a heavy-user or a super-geek. Anyway, after reading JustMe'D's very thoughtful/helpful post, I think I'll just enjoy my beautiful new device. Thanks JustMe'D! :)

To the OP, good luck to you with your new phone, whatever you decide to do.
:cool:

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I've been watching this thread because I'm a former Android user/new to the iPhone experience and like the OP, had been wondering what I was missing. I had a rooted Samsung, which my son rooted for me, mostly just to remove the bloatware and customize a few things. I'm by no means a heavy-user or a super-geek. Anyway, after reading JustMe'D's very thoughtful/helpful post, I think I'll just enjoy my beautiful new device. Thanks JustMe'D! :)

To the OP, good luck to you with your new phone, whatever you decide to do.
:cool:

You're very welcome. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Ummmmmm................... I think you have to download apps.. :eek:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro