How to get a jailbroken 4S serviced by Apple

Knocks

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a 4S that used to be jailbroken and has camera issues so I need to take it to Apple for hardware service or replacement. The jailbreak disappeared after I upgraded to 4.1. I have 3 questions.

1) Did the jailbreak get reported to Apple during the upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 via iTunes?

2) Are there still traces of the jailbreak on the phone after the upgrade to 4.1?

3) If yes, what steps do I need to take to a) backup all my apps and app data so I can restore them on the replacement phone exactly the way they are now, and b) and wipe everything related to jailbreaking before taking the phone to Apple?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would not walk into a apple store for a issue on my JB device lol bad idea .. That's like walking into Microsoft complaint that something is not working on your illegal copy of windows lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Dude495

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I would not walk into a apple store for a issue on my JB device lol bad idea .. That's like walking into Microsoft complaint that something is not working on your illegal copy of windows lol

Except going to Apple with a JB isn't any illegal use of anything. At least in the US.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't think anyone has read the OP.

I have a 4S that used to be jailbroken and has camera issues so I need to take it to Apple for hardware service or replacement. The jailbreak disappeared after I upgraded to 4.1. I have 3 questions.

1) Did the jailbreak get reported to Apple during the upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 via iTunes?

2) Are there still traces of the jailbreak on the phone after the upgrade to 4.1?

3) If yes, what steps do I need to take to a) backup all my apps and app data so I can restore them on the replacement phone exactly the way they are now, and b) and wipe everything related to jailbreaking before taking the phone to Apple?

1. No
2. No
3. If you upgraded, the jailbreak disappeared, you don't need to do anything- its gone. You're on a new firmware now.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Except going to Apple with a JB isn't any illegal use of anything. At least in the US.

I didn't mean JB was illegal .. I blame my bad example lol but apple will prob look at you like it is lol I was just trying to state if you have a issue and go with a JB device they will blame that vs any real issue

BiG BaLLA 923

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Am I lost? What are you talking about with 4.0 to 4.1? Are you talking about firmware for the iPhone 4s? You say that you have the 4s and they never made a ios for that device it started with 5.0

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean JB was illegal .. I blame my bad example lol but apple will prob look at you like it is lol I was just trying to state if you have a issue and go with a JB device they will blame that vs any real issue

That's the first thing Verizon asked me about my signal problems with my iPhone. "Is it jailbroken?" I lied and said it wasn't because I was having singal problems long before I JB. Everyone wants to blame the JB so people will quit JBing.

Knocks

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Am I lost? What are you talking about with 4.0 to 4.1? Are you talking about firmware for the iPhone 4s? You say that you have the 4s and they never made a ios for that device it started with 5.0

Yes, my mistake. 5.0 to 5.1. I need 100% confirmation though that the upgrade to 5.1 erased TRACES of the jailbreak. I know that the functions of the jailbreak are gone. But leftovers could still be in there, and I've heard of cases where Apple was able to find out about past jailbreaks by hooking an iPhone up to their troubleshooting machine.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes, my mistake. 5.0 to 5.1. I need 100% confirmation though that the upgrade to 5.1 erased TRACES of the jailbreak. I know that the functions of the jailbreak are gone. But leftovers could still be in there, and I've heard of cases where Apple was able to find out about past jailbreaks by hooking an iPhone up to their troubleshooting machine.

There is no 100% confimation. You have to try it yourself. I've never heard of a device that can tell if you've been jailbroken.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
That's the first thing Verizon asked me about my signal problems with my iPhone. "Is it jailbroken?" I lied and said it wasn't because I was having singal problems long before I JB. Everyone wants to blame the JB so people will quit JBing.

That's not it. They can't fix it if it's Jailbroken. They are not responsible for that. Only the Jailbreak devs would be able to fix that problem.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Depending on the issue. If its a possible software issue related to the JB, they will just restore your phone. Must prove the issue isn't tied to the JB. I have swapped iPhone at a Apple store while JB. It was the 3GS JB on 3.1.3 but Apple did it because I went in for dead pixels. Can't blame the pixels on the JB. She saw the JB but since I knew JB doesn't void the warranty in the US, I did not worry about restoring it first.

Oh and I thought they would just give a screen replacement since that was typical repair for a 3GS but they didn't have any so that's why it was swapped the entire unit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh