How to get a jailbroken 4S serviced by Apple

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm pretty sure that they don't have some kind of "Jailbroke iPhone detector machine" or something. Lol..

Usually all they do is just replace the phone. Lol. Besides once you wipe it, it's been wiped of everything and a new OS is installed from scratch. Jailbreaking just uses the same OS it already has, so there's no way they would know anything. Lol

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreaking DOES void the warranty in the U.S. That is the whole issue.

To give more clarification, it can violate your warranty. If your device becomes unusable due to JB, Apple can turn down a warranty exchange but it does not straight out void it due to just Jailbraking. So just because it's JB when you take it in, they won't void it. The only thing they will do it just restore it back to factory unless it's a true hardware defect. JB does still run risk and still needs to be done with caution.

Knocks

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
You break your user agreement by jailbreaking, and they can turn you down. End of story. This has happened to numerous people before, so it's pointless to even discuss it.

Apple Support

"...unauthorized modification of the iOS is a violation of the iPhone end-user license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software."

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
You break your user agreement by jailbreaking, and they can turn you down. End of story. This has happened to numerous people before, so it's pointless to even discuss it.

Apple Support

"...unauthorized modification of the iOS is a violation of the iPhone end-user license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software."

But you are missing the whole point, The OP stated he restored his device to factory iOS. Which means there is no jb on there.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
That's not it. They can't fix it if it's Jailbroken. They are not responsible for that. Only the Jailbreak devs would be able to fix that problem.

No, they asked because they believe that the signal problems are due to the jailbreak. I asked. It's so much easier to blame the JB and get me to wipe my phone than send a tech out to my location to check signal towers in the area.

To the op - you're fine. Take the phone in. You won't be burned at the stake.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
fwiw, i had a friend who unknowingly took his jailbroken iPhone 4 (at the time) in to an Apple store for battery problems. the Genius laughed it off and replaced the entire device since he was still under warranty

yes, they can refuse service to jailbroken devices but i also believe it depends who you talk to and if they are a stickler or not

side note: whenever i take my device to Apple for issues i always Restore as new iPhone

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
fwiw, i had a friend who unknowingly took his jailbroken iPhone 4 (at the time) in to an Apple store for battery problems. the Genius laughed it off and replaced the entire device since he was still under warranty

yes, they can refuse service to jailbroken devices but i also believe it depends who you talk to and if they are a stickler or not

side note: whenever i take my device to Apple for issues i always Restore as new iPhone

Since Apple employees can be terminated for this, your friend was indeed lucky...

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
what specific "this" are you referring to? replacing a device under warranty because of a faulty or refusing service on a jailbroken device?

They can be terminated for providing warranty service for a jail broken device, which is by definition out of warranty.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2