Jailbroken iPhone users getting locked out of the App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
^ This opens up the bigger question of having the freedom to customize your iDevice.

Sometimes I like to Jailbreak, and sometimes I like to go out-of-box. I'm still the same Apple user.

Some people view Jailbreaking as criminal, and I don't understand that. It's just customizing your device as with any other piece of technology. It's having that additional level of usage, what I would say a normal level of usage. People should be able to jailbreak and really use their device. Piracy is in a different ballpark.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
^ This opens up the bigger question of having the freedom to customize your iDevice.

Sometimes I like to Jailbreak, and sometimes I like to go out-of-box. I'm still the same Apple user.

Some people view Jailbreaking as criminal, and I don't understand that. It's just customizing your device as with any other piece of technology. It's having that additional level of usage, what I would say a normal level of usage. People should be able to jailbreak and really use their device. Piracy is in a different ballpark.

No doubt and the term, "ownership" does not mean what it used to mean.

Example: living in a neighborhood with a homeowners association. Your house can be completely paid for, but if you violate the terms of the homeowners agreement, your paid-for house can be taken away from you.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site

I don't view it as criminal and it's your choice, but I don't have sympathy for those who JB and then complain when things don't work. Too damn bad. You chose to do it and knew there could be issues. Accept responsibility.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't view it as criminal and it's your choice, but I don't have sympathy for those who JB and then complain when things don't work. Too damn bad. You chose to do it and knew there could be issues. Accept responsibility.

I, as one who has made the choice to jailbreak DO accept responsibility... what we have here is some developers who make a conscious decision to SCREW OVER people who may have bought their app, legitimately - then make the app non-functional to people who bought the apps legit, then later jailbreak. This is unconscionable.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I suggest that if any of you fellow jailbreakers come into contact with one of these apps, just go ahead and rate it 1/5 stars. I saw people doing that already. Just continuing the trend. Not Skype though, they're okay.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I, as one who has made the choice to jailbreak DO accept responsibility... what we have here is some developers who make a conscious decision to SCREW OVER people who may have bought their app, legitimately - then make the app non-functional to people who bought the apps legit, then later jailbreak. This is unconscionable.

Nah, it's business. You don't want to follow the rules set by Apple, even if you are responsible, then so be it. No need for devs to support you. This argument comes down to one thing, your stance on why you should be supported and others who disagree.

If I ever programmed (and I don't care to), you better believe I'd never let it run on jailbroken devices.

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Meh haven't come across an app that doesn't let me in that I need. Hope someone creates a tweak to get around it if I ever get in that situation. I understand paid apps may not like jailbroken devices because of piracy but free apps like Swamp People... Really? Oh well I like my tweaks better than a lot of app store apps, as long as my sport ones continue working.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Can we get a list of apps that don't work on jail broken devices?
Also can't you just use ifile and rename the cydia.app??? That's how these things work, They just check the file system for cydia....

Last edited:

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I jail broke my iPhone last weekend for SBSettings. I have a Mercury Mariner with the Sync system built in. I hate leaving Bluetooth on all day when I only use it while driving. It's so much simpler to just swipe into my notification center to toggle Bluetooth. Guess I'll be restoring to stock this week. :mad:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Can we get a list of apps that don't work on jail broken devices?
Also can't you just use ifile and rename the cydia.app??? That's how these things work, They just check the file system for cydia....

We don't really have to do anything. Apps are a dime a dozen and it's a rough market out there. Unprofessional developers don't make it and it shows in their app reviews. The problem solves itself.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
We don't really have to do anything. Apps are a dime a dozen and it's a rough market out there. Unprofessional developers don't make it and it shows in their app reviews. The problem solves itself.

I think you misunderstood...
I would like to see a list if all the apps that block you out if your device is jail broken...
Also you can rename the cydia.app as a work around to this issue...
Also, I'm 100% on the app developers side, just like its my phone and I can do what I want, it's their app and they can do what they want.
As far as unprofessional developers, I think Microsoft and time Warner have pretty solid "professional developers"

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Apps from companies such as:

Time Warner
DIRECTV
A&E Television Network

Basically the same people who invented SOPA. You can get xCon on Cydia before you can get these, if you want these.

I'm not on any side, but I'm for the equal treatment of all iPhone users.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

Time Warner
DIRECTV
A&E Television Network

Basically the same people who invented SOPA. You can get xCon on Cydia before you can get these, if you want these.

My DirectTv app works with my 5.0.1/JB and also with the new 5.1.1/JB...

dont have the others installed so I dont know about those.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I jail broke my iPhone last weekend for SBSettings. I have a Mercury Mariner with the Sync system built in. I hate leaving Bluetooth on all day when I only use it while driving. It's so much simpler to just swipe into my notification center to toggle Bluetooth. Guess I'll be restoring to stock this week. :mad:

So what are you saying, that now that you JB'd your phone, it no longer works with your Sync system in your car?

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Time Warner
DIRECTV
A&E Television Network

Don't know if I will ever use those apps but may as well put Xcon on anyways.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

Time Warner
DIRECTV
A&E Television Network

What does xCon do? As there are a few UK app's that I can't get working due to this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
xCon works by running*apps with anti-jailbreak*protection*in a special contained environment where they cannot detect whether you have a*Jailbroken iDevice*or not. Thus, allowing you to run whatever App Store*application*you wish, without having to worry about whether it has anti-jailbreak*protection or not. The developer has even mentioned that if*you notice an*application*that is not supported by the xCon Cydia tweak to send him an email (n00neimp0rtant@me.com).

xCon v20 Cydia Tweak: Bypass iOS Apps Jailbreak Detection | iJailbreak.com

Very cool. I might pick this up later if need be.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a very dumb decision for developers to make, because the majority of people who use iPhones have them Jailbroken, so that's them losing money and popularity (for the sake of?)

You are delusional.

We capture whether or not our apps are running on Jailbroken devices and it's less than 1/2 of 1% with millions of downloads.

We deny support to Jailbroken devices, as over the years we have determined that virtually all of the issues we get from users on Jailbroken devices come from their non standard configuration, and have nothing to do with our software.

We cannot afford to support those users.

It's only a matter of time before the iUniverse is blocked as well.

Reactions: Fausty82
Status
Not open for further replies.