iOS 5.1.1 battery on 4s thoughts

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
strange for me is that, like 5.0.1, my usage/standby doesn't show up all the time. I usually only see "-" and not any hours... this was the same as 5.0.1 (both JB'd too)...

zstairlessone

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
5.1.1 makes my battery die faster by far than 5.0.1 did. I only upgraded because I wanted to output to my TV through the HDMI adapter (which works great by the way) but now as soon as I pull it off the charger it immediately drops to 99% and goes down quickly after that. Last night I pulled it off the charger, shut down all apps and went to sleep, this morning I am at 69% and it tells me that usage was 9 hours and 30 minutes since last charge with standby of 12 hours 48 minutes??? Yesterday was Friday, Today is Saturday and I don't know where the last 22 hours went? (it was on the charger for over 10 hours when I pulled it off at 99%) No bluetooth running either. It was never like this before the update. I have reset the phone, I even did a hard (complete) reset with no change - however it took two restores to get the apps back on and I didn't have my music or videos backed up so I lost some things I didn't want to OOPS!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
5.1.1 makes my battery die faster by far than 5.0.1 did. I only upgraded because I wanted to output to my TV through the HDMI adapter (which works great by the way) but now as soon as I pull it off the charger it immediately drops to 99% and goes down quickly after that. Last night I pulled it off the charger, shut down all apps and went to sleep, this morning I am at 69% and it tells me that usage was 9 hours and 30 minutes since last charge with standby of 12 hours 48 minutes??? Yesterday was Friday, Today is Saturday and I don't know where the last 22 hours went? (it was on the charger for over 10 hours when I pulled it off at 99%) No bluetooth running either. It was never like this before the update. I have reset the phone, I even did a hard (complete) reset with no change - however it took two restores to get the apps back on and I didn't have my music or videos backed up so I lost some things I didn't want to OOPS!

Restore as new iPhone when given the option at the end of your restore process (No Backup)

yeah, you may lose some data but it's a small price to pay for better/improved battery life

zstairlessone

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Restore as new iPhone when given the option at the end of your restore process (No Backup)

yeah, you may lose some data but it's a small price to pay for better/improved battery life

That's part of why it took two restores, clean still eats battery (sudden change from before and after updating to 5.1.1 with no other changes).

I haven't used my phone all day, black screen and no apps running (on a linux laptop all day - ugh but not as bad as windows) and just turned phone back on now down to 50% with 13 hours 55 minutes of usage and 18 hours 46 minutes standby so in 6 hours I have racked up 4-1/2 hours of usage and 6 hours of standby time. somehow i am living in an incredible time warp.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
That's part of why it took two restores, clean still eats battery (sudden change from before and after updating to 5.1.1 with no other changes).

I haven't used my phone all day, black screen and no apps running (on a linux laptop all day - ugh but not as bad as windows) and just turned phone back on now down to 50% with 13 hours 55 minutes of usage and 18 hours 46 minutes standby so in 6 hours I have racked up 4-1/2 hours of usage and 6 hours of standby time. somehow i am living in an incredible time warp.

holy crap! yeah i would say so!!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I discovered that Fullscreen Safari must have been draining my battery. After I uninstalled it I am now seeing longer usage in between charges. :)

4705716e-3c07-6f94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
this was over the weekend on 5.1.1 (Saturday)
i did listen to my Music.app for a couple of hours during a morning mountain bike ride
but overall not too shabby if i say so

bhitrs.jpg

then on the following day (Sunday) i had about 5.5 - 6 hours usage
which is probably more realistic​

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
32403e62-6303-a326.jpg

Much better than 5.0.1 for me :) and part of this (10+ hours) were at work where I got crap connection and no service from time to time.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been having some real drainage issues lately so I just did a COMPLETE restore!! Since I don't keep a ton of stuff on my phone so it shouldn't be too bad getting up and running.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Keep us posted how it is after restoring your phone.

I surely will. I did it because I was down to around 28% at 12:30 pm today. That NEVER happens. For the last few days it's been funky. I normally get a few hours of usage during the work day between iMessage, Twitter and Words with Friends but nothing like I've been seeing.

*fingers crossed*

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 4s for 3 weeks now and the batt seems pretty good. Was at 100% at 6pm did some texting checked emails a lot hit a few web pages but was mostly on standby no calls. By 2am batt was down to 79%. I keep my brightness down to roughly 40%. All of this was on 3G not wifi.

I also keep location services off unless I need it I also keep push turned off. These are things I don't need to have on all the time.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Progress thus far...

View attachment 16954

My signal fluctuates between 2 and 3 bars while at work so...

I'm on pace for a little over 4 hrs of usage and 16 hours of standby before I hit 20%. That's perfectly fine with me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've never really analyzed my battery usage/drain. I always have a charger around and constantly charge.
But I know that I'll never run down my battery since I bought that Mophie Juice Pack Air Plus. :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh