Sorry, tough to explain my issue in a brief title, but one of the more annoying things about the iPhone (and likely other smartphones) is the issue where you walk into a public building that offers WiFi, but that WiFi requires some sort of authentication, usually a screen on Safari where you just click "OK". Caribou Coffee is like this, so are a few other retailers like Home Depot, Target, etc. (I'm not saying this is the case in ALL of those stores, this is just where I've experienced it).

Why is this a big issue? Because it effectively shuts down your data connection but "preferring" a WiFi connection that actually doesn't work. Unless you are prompted to go sign in or click "OK", any text you send, or any data you try to work will no load because you are not "allowed" to use the WiFi. Ironically, were there no WiFi there at all, your 3G connection would probably work just fine in most buildings.

People will say this is an easy fix, or that I should just turn my WiFi off, but I use WiFi all the time at home and at work - that just isn't feasible. The OS should do a better job telling you there's some action required, or it shouldn't defer to the WiFi connection unless that action has been taken.
    05-21-2012 03:25 PM
    Why not just turn off the feature that asks you to join networks? That way it only connects to your known networks.
    05-21-2012 03:45 PM
    And make sure you go into the Settings and "forget" any wifi network that requires you to say "OK" on a web site before you can use it... between the suggestion above, and this - your phone should always be on 3G unless you know, and have set up the network. This is how I've got mine set-up... works for me.
    05-21-2012 03:52 PM
    You're wasting your precious battery life leaving your Wi-Fi on and having it constantly searching for networks. Office Depot and many other stores have these Wi-Fi signals, but that doesn't mean that they're connected to the Internet.

They might have printer Wi-Fi signals or something, and actually lots of places do this. Especially Office Depot...

05-21-2012 04:02 PM
    True...didn't think about that. At my work, we have 3 separate wifi signals...one is actual wifi that is password protected, one is used only for the scanner guns in the warehouse, and the other I'm not sure about...all I know is I'm unable to connect to any of them and actually get a data connection that works. That's why my "ask to join networks" is turned off.
    05-21-2012 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD