Since downloading and installing the recent software update, the battery life only lasts about 8 hours between full charges. I have been to the Apple Store twice to troubleshoot the problem. Each time, we thought that the answer was found, but to no avail. I think that the problem lies in the update. Is there a way of going back to the software before the update? I can't believe that I am the only one having this problem. Please help.
    05-18-2012 07:39 AM
    Since downloading and installing the recent software update, the battery life only lasts about 8 hours between full charges. I have been to the Apple Store twice to troubleshoot the problem. Each time, we thought that the answer was found, but to no avail. I think that the problem lies in the update. Is there a way of going back to the software before the update? I can't believe that I am the only one having this problem. Please help.
    I am the opposite. Battery life increased for me. I don't think there is a way to go back.
    05-18-2012 07:50 AM
    No, you can't downgrade the OS, at least to *my* knowledge. I would suggest, however, that you go through *everything* is the Settings menu and make adjustments accordingly. Pay close attention to notifications & email pull times, if applicable. Also, check the settings within all of your installed apps, if applicable. If you've done these things AND your battery life still is not to your liking, erase all contents and reset your device as new via your computer's iTunes app.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    kjvella likes this.
    05-18-2012 07:52 AM
    You can downgrade the iOS using RedSn0w if you saved your SHSH Blobs from 5.1 You'll have to download the correct ipsw from the firmware wiki. There is a thread on the jailbreak forum that explains how.
    05-18-2012 08:04 AM
    I had the same problem with the update. I had to replace my phone (earpiece speaker quit working) prior to the update. I noticed that the battery was draining a lot faster. I did a reset to "new" and re-installed my backup. Battery is awesome now. My only other problem with the update was my email. It would not recognize my password. I was about to give up and go back to the Apple store, when it FINALLY accepted my password. Very strange. After you do all the above mentioned, be sure to do a hard shutdown. The battery should be fine after that.
    kjvella likes this.
    05-18-2012 08:12 AM
    Tiniumbrella may still be able to save 5.1 SHSH blobs. I did mine just a few days ago.

And yes, JustMe'D downgrading is common my friend.
    05-18-2012 03:42 PM
    Can you explain your unit in more detail? Is it jailbroken? What apps are you running? What cydia packages have you installed?

I have the same problem as you, but running at 5.0.1.
    05-18-2012 05:07 PM
    I had the same problem with the update. I had to replace my phone (earpiece speaker quit working) prior to the update. I noticed that the battery was draining a lot faster. I did a reset to "new" and re-installed my backup. Battery is awesome now. My only other problem with the update was my email. It would not recognize my password. I was about to give up and go back to the Apple store, when it FINALLY accepted my password. Very strange. After you do all the above mentioned, be sure to do a hard shutdown. The battery should be fine after that.
    You performed this reset via the settings through your unit?

I would like to do the same with mine since I am having battery problems too, but I am afraid I will lose photos and contacts. Does the itunes sync really do a 100% backup so if I do a hard reset on the phone can I just reinstall everything like how it was before the reset?
    05-18-2012 05:09 PM
    Tiniumbrella may still be able to save 5.1 SHSH blobs. I did mine just a few days ago.

And yes, JustMe'D downgrading is common my friend.
    You're right, Sherlock. I guess unless the OP states he or she is jailbroken, I assume he or she is not and give an answer in likewise fashion. Know what I mean?

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    05-18-2012 07:44 PM
    How do I do a hard shutdown?
    05-19-2012 01:13 AM
    How do I do a hard shutdown?
    Hold the power and home button until the device completely shuts down, let go and it should restart itself.
    If battery life doesn't get better, restore the device as new from iTunes. Then let the battery completely drain until the device shuts off, then give it a full charge and that should recalibrate your battery
    kjvella likes this.
    05-19-2012 07:55 AM
    Can you explain your unit in more detail? Is it jailbroken? What apps are you running? What cydia packages have you installed?

I have the same problem as you, but running at 5.0.1.
    I am not sure what you mean by cydia packages. I am going to try removing "White Noise". It is an app that has sound effects on it. It also has a timer. Very good to go to sleep by, but it may be causing at least part of the problem. Time will tell.
    05-20-2012 12:17 AM
    I am not sure what you mean by cydia packages. I am going to try removing "White Noise". It is an app that has sound effects on it. It also has a timer. Very good to go to sleep by, but it may be causing at least part of the problem. Time will tell.
    Cydia is the other app store for jailbroken iOS devices.
    kjvella likes this.
    05-20-2012 12:34 AM
    White Noise is a great app if your using it to go to sleep by. The only problem with it is the battery consumption that it takes. I removed it when I had battery problems after 5.1.1 was installed. By removing it, I have an extra hour of battery life for each full charge. Thought I would pass the news on.
    05-21-2012 07:05 PM
    You performed this reset via the settings through your unit?

I would like to do the same with mine since I am having battery problems too, but I am afraid I will lose photos and contacts. Does the itunes sync really do a 100% backup so if I do a hard reset on the phone can I just reinstall everything like how it was before the reset?
    I back up everything to iCloud. When I did my back up after setting as "new", I got everything back. For me it did a 100% back up. I think the key is to do a hard reset. After that, no problems.
    05-22-2012 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD