iPhone 4S dropping alot of calls

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought from a friend a slightly used iPhone 4S for my wife that was already loaded with iOS 5.1 and it was stock. He would comment me that from time to time the calls would drop in certain places with the iPhone but a friend of his using a different phone in the same area would not. She recently told me that she too started experiencing sudden call drops as well. I have a 3GS JB and use it all over with no problem. My theory as of right now is because it's using HSPA+ 4G 14.4 at all times whenever possible, but when it's not in a 4G capable zone, it drops trying to rollback to 3G or something. Has anyone had this issue before or something similar. I have her currently on h2o which is an MNVO of AT&T.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
My Mrs had the same problem. She took the phone back to apple and they swapped it and it still carried on doing it. Problem turned out to be the sim card. I know you said that it was doing before with the last user, is it the same sim or did you put your own one in there. Even if you did, I would still try a new sim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Do the following to see if it helps:

1. Update PRL -- dial *228 and then choose option 2
2. Reset Network Settings -- Settings-General-Reset and then select 'Reset Network Settings'.

Hopefully, this will fix your problem.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Do the following to see if it helps:

1. Update PRL -- dial *228 and then choose option 2
2. Reset Network Settings -- Settings-General-Reset and then select 'Reset Network Settings'.

Hopefully, this will fix your problem.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

:) D, the phone is not on Verizon, so the *228 does not apply here i believe. The resetting of network settings may assist in this issue if the sim card isnt the problem.

Hopefully the OP will get this resolved for his wife asap:)

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
:) D, the phone is not on Verizon, so the *228 does not apply here i believe. The resetting of network settings may assist in this issue if the sim card isnt the problem.

Hopefully the OP will get this resolved for his wife asap:)

Thank you, Pink. Once again, I'm guilty of half reading someone's post ... Darn it! ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Trying the 'Reset Network Settings" can't hurt anything... it should force the phone to renegotiate it's connection to the cellular network and set itself up again.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, Pink. Once again, I'm guilty of half reading someone's post ... Darn it! ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

:)heeey, no worries D, we all make mistakes. I know i've been guilty of it before as well;)

the worst response you may have gotten from the OP from your post was "what the heck is a *228?" lol!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
:)heeey, no worries D, we all make mistakes. I know i've been guilty of it before as well;)

the worst response you may have gotten from the OP from your post was "what the heck is a *228?" lol!

(laughing)....No doubt! ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

KatherineYH

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Here are two ways to avoid iPhone 4 dropping calls.
1. Use Your Right Hand! ?If you wish to avoid dropped calls on iPhone 4, better do not cover that sensitive antenna region. In order to do that, you will have to hold your iPhone 4 in your right hand or hold it so that your palm or a large part of your hand does not cover the region completely. This way, the signal strength remains perfect and your calls wont be dropped.
2. Use a Rubber Bumper Case ? The other option, and a better one, is to use a rubber bumper. This does cover the antenna, but it does not detune it because of its non-conductive properties. The rubber bumper also keeps your iPhone 4 safe and secure from accidental bumps and jerks. By attaching a rubber bumper, you can hold the iPhone 4 in anyway you wish to and still, you get the signal, you get perfect reception and call clarity. No calls are dropped this way.

elitegamer767

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Here are two ways to avoid iPhone 4 dropping calls.
1. Use Your Right Hand! –If you wish to avoid dropped calls on iPhone 4, better do not cover that sensitive antenna region. In order to do that, you will have to hold your iPhone 4 in your right hand or hold it so that your palm or a large part of your hand does not cover the region completely. This way, the signal strength remains perfect and your calls wont be dropped.
2. Use a Rubber Bumper Case – The other option, and a better one, is to use a rubber bumper. This does cover the antenna, but it does not detune it because of its non-conductive properties. The rubber bumper also keeps your iPhone 4 safe and secure from accidental bumps and jerks. By attaching a rubber bumper, you can hold the iPhone 4 in anyway you wish to and still, you get the signal, you get perfect reception and call clarity. No calls are dropped this way.

He stated its an iPhone 4S this does not apply as they have changed the antenna on this model

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I will try to do the network reset as stated. I also have on it an OtterBox Defender series case on it and hope that it doesn't interfere with the signal.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you know anyone else with a 4s ? Pop the sim in there's and see if you drop calls .. If not go to apple .. Honestly I would go to apple anyways and eliminate the phone tell them you have tried. We sim .. Reset settings and done a restore and nothing fixed it they should swap the phone

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Well i did the reset option and seems to be better. I hope it stays that way once the 5.1.1 JB is released as my wife is eagerly awaiting to have her 4S JB'd

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73