Large music library slowing down Itunes store?

dolomatt

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I have about 8000 songs loaded on my iphone 4s and the itunes store is painfully slow to browse. I thought it could be the WIFI at home but my gf's iphone can browse just fine. Specifically I am browsing music to purchase. It takes about 50 seconds to load an albums page and sometimes freezes the app entirely. I did a restore and tried without my music loaded and it worked fine. Soon as I loaded my music back on I get the same slow results as before. I am not using match.

Edit: I have a feeling it is scanning my library each time I look at an album to see if I own it. I can browse video's just fine without it lagging.

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this too. I tried to get podcasts from iTunes, and it's just so slow, that the app just ... crashes. I can see shows fine though... weird.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
That's good thinking. I have the same problem, and the same huge music collection. I rarely "use" iTunes since it is so horribly slow to use, and more often than not, just locks up. This is on a high-end Windows PC that handles everything else with ease. I only use iTunes for my backup. If I want to buy from the iTunes store, I always use the iPhone, not the desktop program.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
weird. happened to me too.

I've never bought any music from itunes so it took me forever to even figure out how to open the store. I was busy looking for an icon. But i got about 7000 songs and same thing happened to me. I notice it only froze when i scrolled all the way down. That said i really don't care cause i don't use it. As for itunes match, i need my music locally. I often don't have a connection. Like just today when i was in Costco. Regardless i have 20000 songs on google music for free if i need to stream something in a pinch. I have the gmusic app. Free is much better deal then itunes match for me.

dolomatt

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
weird. happened to me too.

I've never bought any music from itunes so it took me forever to even figure out how to open the store. I was busy looking for an icon. But i got about 7000 songs and same thing happened to me. I notice it only froze when i scrolled all the way down. That said i really don't care cause i don't use it. As for itunes match, i need my music locally. I often don't have a connection. Like just today when i was in Costco. Regardless i have 20000 songs on google music for free if i need to stream something in a pinch. I have the gmusic app. Free is much better deal then itunes match for me.

Same symptoms here. if you try and scroll it will freeze until its done doing whatever its doing. How do you report a bug to Apple?

Good reason to pay the $25 and use the Match. That way most of the 8000 songs aren't on the phone at all.

Yeah, no. I didn't buy a 64gb iphone to play from the cloud. I would have stuck with Android if I wanted that. I have my whole collection on gmusic.

dolomatt

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
That's good thinking. I have the same problem, and the same huge music collection. I rarely "use" iTunes since it is so horribly slow to use, and more often than not, just locks up. This is on a high-end Windows PC that handles everything else with ease. I only use iTunes for my backup. If I want to buy from the iTunes store, I always use the iPhone, not the desktop program.

I am talking about the app, not the desktop application.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it also weird how the first couple of content shows up, then the rest are just empty boxes? Then you try hitting download and it becomes unresponsive?

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Same symptoms here. if you try and scroll it will freeze until its done doing whatever its doing. How do you report a bug to Apple?

actually i have no clue. Maybe make a post on their forum or on their website. I honestly don't use the itunes store ever so i forgot about it as soon as i closed it.

Yeah, no. I didn't buy a 64gb iphone to play from the cloud. I would have stuck with Android if I wanted that. I have my whole collection on gmusic.

i use this as a backup App Store - gMusic: A Google Music player but i'm with you. i got 64gb for a reason. I stream stuff on tune radio occasionally and it's surprising how often i end up losing a connection and getting stuff buffering. Granted i'm on crappy sprint but i've found streaming an often unreliable solution at the moment.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I too have this issue--I cannot download podcasts from the app anymore, images do not render, etc. I have approximately 1800 songs, and am jailbroken.

EDIT: Ironically, I only have this issue with the iMore podcast. The other ones I open in iTunes.app work fine. they load 10 at a time, and every thing renders. Just not that one.

Last edited:

Sara Adam

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't you think it will be easier to share music and ideas if we have an online community. Something based on contextual intelligence.

10docran008

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Unbelievable! I actually liked iTunes, until version 11 was released. So many routine operations are unbearably slow! Even a simple function like deleting a song can take more than a minute! And forget about updating a song's metadata. Anybody figure out a work-around (other than using another app instead)?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Unbelievable! I actually liked iTunes, until version 11 was released. So many routine operations are unbearably slow! Even a simple function like deleting a song can take more than a minute! And forget about updating a song's metadata. Anybody figure out a work-around (other than using another app instead)?

Wow, way to bring this thread back to life

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2