Top 3 things iPhone users are missing out on

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, these functionalities are so good, you don't even realize it's from a Jailbreak. If you're not Jailbroken, these are the top things that every iPhone needs to have, not just Jailbroken ones.

#1 - Full screen Safari

If you don't have this, you are missing out. The iPhone's screen isn't nearly as small when you have this. And it's only once you've downloaded it you realize just how much of the screen Safari takes up- and it's unneccesary. The good thing about this functionality is this: shake to brig up the status bar or double tap and hold to bring up a menu. With a screen like mine, it's almost like I already have an iPhone 5.

* Add to this a Jailbreak that makes that annoying Safari Bookmark popup vanish.

#2 - Music Notifications

Simply this, when a new song begins to play, the notification badge will show you what's playing. Why didn't Apple think of this?

#3 - SBSettings

A simple swipe of the statis bar brings up everything you need. Enable 4G? Done. Change the brightness? Already done. Enable Wi-Fi? What's next?

After you been Jailbroken, it's hard to go back. I know people frown upon Jailbroken devices, but it's gotten so sophisticated now, that you don't even know the phone is Jailbroken and you simply have-

A better phone.

The iPhone itself, with it's pick-an-app interface is fine as is, but that includes limitations. A sacrifice of speed, which is probably in the fine print, but we'll save that topic for another day.

Please share your additional functions with the community! I'd love to make my iPhone even better!

*Cydia applications mentioned include: Awesome Music Controller, FullScreen for Safari, No Bookmarks, and SBSettings.

Last edited:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Its funny that Android has these things out the box, lol. Imagine a blended OS with Android and iOS. It'd be great.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
#1 and #2 seem more of a reality for Apple to eventually implement since they do keep a close eye on the jailbreak scene, obviously

the only issue is we more than likely will not see this until iOS 9? :D

i just wish they would allow viewing of the NC while in LS

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, these functionalities are so good, you don't even realize it's from a Jailbreak. If you're not Jailbroken, these are the top things that every iPhone needs to have, not just Jailbroken ones.

#1 - Full screen Safari

If you don't have this, you are missing out. The iPhone's screen isn't nearly as small when you have this. And it's only once you've downloaded it you realize just how much of the screen Safari takes up- and it's unneccesary. The good thing about this functionality is this: shake to brig up the status bar or double tap and hold to bring up a menu. With a screen like mine, it's almost like I already have an iPhone 5.

* Add to this a Jailbreak that makes that annoying Safari Bookmark popup vanish.

#2 - Music Notifications

Simply this, when a new song begins to play, the notification badge will show you what's playing. Why didn't Apple think of this?

#3 - SBSettings

A simple swipe of the statis bar brings up everything you need. Enable 4G? Done. Change the brightness? Already done. Enable Wi-Fi? What's next?

After you been Jailbroken, it's hard to go back. I know people frown upon Jailbroken devices, but it's gotten so sophisticated now, that you don't even know the phone is Jailbroken and you simply have-

A better phone.

The iPhone itself, with it's pick-an-app interface is fine as is, but that includes limitations. A sacrifice of speed, which is probably in the fine print, but we'll save that topic for another day.

Please share your additional functions with the community! I'd love to make my iPhone even better!

*Cydia applications mentioned include: Awesome Music Controller, FullScreen for Safari, No Bookmarks, and SBSettings.

Users are only missing out on them if they are desiring to have them and in my case, the three things you mentioned, although nice, are not high on my list of must-haves or wants. In regard to Safari, I do indeed surf the web with it but not enough to crave a full-screen option. I basically use it to look up information quickly and specifically. I have Tapatalk for forums, Feedly & Feeddler Pro to read my news along with other apps to cater to my internet-related needs. As for the Music Notification, I already know the song that is playing especially the ones that I've already purchased so I don't need notification in regard to that. Other than that, I listen to Pandora on occasion but the stations that I create contain songs from my generation and I know almost all of them. Other than that, I listen to talk radio via Tune-In Radio Pro. In regard to SBsettings, I really can't comment because I'm not jailbroken. Please don't take this as a knock on your post because that is not my intent. :)

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
1. Not a big deal. I can read just fine with my razor sharp eyesight.

2. I know exactly what song is playing because I chose to play it.

3. I never change brightness, never disable wi-fi, so this is useless for me.

Jailbreaking has it's advantages, but it's not for me. I don't care to tweak my phones. Even on our on-call phone, which is a Nexus S 4G, isn't modified.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

#1 - Full screen Safari

#2 - Music Notifications

#3 - SBSettings

A better phone.

Number 2 would be incredibly annoying IMO if I am listening to music and actively using the phone and a banner or popup is right in my face every 3-4 minutes.

Number 1 and 3, meh. Don't use Safari (or I'll use my Lumia 900 for the larger screen) and I want to use my phone and not spend time worrying about turning off all the radios every hour to save a % of battery life.

Last edited:

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Love the responses JustMe'D, BLiNK, Sting7k, ghostface, quills, and pilsbury!

I just had to say fullscreen because it's a much richer experience, and this isn't like Dolphin or anything like that, it's just you and the web.

The music player, should be taken down from that list, I understand that. It might work better for if you're listening to a radio or something. I mean, a lot of times I have my iPod on shuffle, so I don't know what's playing. And you can always find out what's playing by ... duh, going to the music app.

lol... :)

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Ghazal Kaif

May 14, 2012
Visit site
There are more benefits if you jailbreak... otherwise there are many restrictions for end users in iphone... like transfer data to pc using iphone etc... this is just one of the examples...

OutSpoken

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I would love to be able to share media between non apple devices via bluetooth. Is this possible via jailbreak? I'm jailbroken but havent checked.

glidem

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Just having quick access to disable/enable Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplane and other modes would be most helpful - especially via Siri.

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
1. Ability to assign apps default status. Why allow alternative browsers, camera apps, or email programs into the app store and then deny the user the ability to make them default programs?

2. A settings widget in the notification center for quick access to basic settings.

3. Ability to clear individual notifications in the notification center instead of having to clear all with that small little "x".

I know jailbreaking solves this issue but I assume this thread is about issue missing from stock iOS.

iSpi7Fire

May 7, 2012
Visit site
For #1, I'm using Mercury Browser. It's just awesome.
#2. Why would I want to see notifs for music when while I'm listening to music, my phone stays in my pockets.
#3 ye, apple should get their **** right and do it. Btw, check quickbrightness in the AppStore. It's offering a jb feature. Quick before its pulled.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
A notification badge everytime a new song plays? That would murder battery life. If you want to know the song, just tap your home button.

kshen1

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I want to see the features that apple brings to the notification center in ios 6. I do honestly hope that they will allow 3rd party apps to use widgets in it so we can get some more use out of it..

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The YouTube app really needs to be able to play HD videos, and it should also let you delete your own videos from YouTube. The iPhone is almost perfect, that's why making lists like these are always hard.

The main thing we have to have is more speed.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
A notification badge everytime a new song plays? That would murder battery life. If you want to know the song, just tap your home button.

not necessarily any more than waking your device by pressing the home button, which does use battery as well

i think most people are missing the point about a tweak like NowListening: yes there are banners that show in the very beginning of the song but only when the device is being used at the same time (not in LS). no badges are involved. just like any other banners you can swipe to the left to dismiss

one awesome feature of NowListening is you can swipe the banner to the right to skip to the next song! of course users are going to know the song that is playing of their own music, why even look? but what about any of the supported radio apps? this is where i found it most useful. i am a sucker for new music and am constantly downloading new songs/albums on Spotify so now i am able to see what that cool new song is that is now playing without having to leave the app that i am currently in

honestly we can pick apart tweaks all day long if we want but i find it kind of funny that the people who think music banner notifications would be useless are the same ones who do not jailbreak. dont knock it until you try it ;)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
not necessarily any more than waking your device by pressing the home button, which does use battery as well

i think most people are missing the point about a tweak like NowListening: yes there are banners that show in the very beginning of the song but only when the device is being used at the same time (not in LS). no badges are involved. just like any other banners you can swipe to the left to dismiss

one awesome feature of NowListening is you can swipe the banner to the right to skip to the next song! of course users are going to know the song that is playing of their own music, why even look? but what about any of the supported radio apps? this is where i found it most useful. i am a sucker for new music and am constantly downloading new songs/albums on Spotify so now i am able to see what that cool new song is that is now playing without having to leave the app that i am currently in

honestly we can pick apart tweaks all day long if we want but i find it kind of funny that the people who think music banner notifications would be useless are the same ones who do not jailbreak. dont knock it until you try it ;)

I rarely use any radio apps. Rarely. For iPod wise, that is a different story. I average 2 hours a day of iPod use. At a average of 3:30 per song, thats another 34 times a day my screen to light up. I have 3800 songs on my iPhone. I actually know all the songs. I don't need my phone to light up telling me what song and artist is playing. If they were to add it to the OS, I would never enable it. Or at least I better have the option to disable it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox