On Wed. night my mom (while half asleep) accidentally got water on her 4S. She did not know that she had spilled water on the phone until she heard it vibrate a little and turn off. On thurs. morning she came to me with a bag of rice. I left it in the bag for 24 hours(with SIM card ejected) and the phone would NOT turn on. However, I plugged it into the charger and now it work almost like normal except for 2 things. Sometimes, the ringer stops working(when you press the volume buttons it says Ringer but no squares as if it's connected in a dock and media volume can't be changed either) however, siri and calling still work on the iphone (in earpiece and speaker....maybe some rice stuck in there?) and I think the camera is fried because when you open the camera, it sticks on the closed lens animation and once it showed a black screen(where the camera output shows) and you couldn't change any option or flip the camera. Any tips to resolve those issues? The phone is working perfectly fine besides that even though both exterior water sensors are tripped(so it got in at the bottom and top).
    Edit: I activated the phone on my line(she needed a phone and I wanted to make sure everything was working) and I noticed that now it seems to say "searching" for longer than usual and occasionally has to be put in airplane mode and taken off to get service.
    Last edited by VZWiP4; 05-04-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    05-04-2012 07:28 PM
    Not much you can do .. The sell some stuff if you take it apart and clean the board .. Or you can send it in .. I would bet there is still water and over time it will start to corrode and eventually fry if you don't do anything

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    05-04-2012 07:41 PM
    Yeah it sounds like there is still water in there. It will corrode like crazy around the battery. Might be worth sending it in?
    05-04-2012 07:59 PM
    Not much you can do .. The sell some stuff if you take it apart and clean the board .. Or you can send it in .. I would bet there is still water and over time it will start to corrode and eventually fry if you don't do anything

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    That's what I thought. The phone also turned back on in the rice(short circuit in dock connector?) and if it doesn't start working by next Wed. she'll take it in to the apple store and pay the $199 replacement fee for accidental damage devices.
    05-04-2012 08:00 PM
    I wonder what it would cost to have it repaired? Might be good to have a squaretrade warrantee for her if she's accident prone.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
    05-04-2012 09:06 PM
    That's sucks dude. You should buy her a www.lifeproof.com case for mothers day. They're waterproof and everything. I love mine it's saved my phone countless times. I also think they are have a 10% off for mothers day.

Posted with my iPhone 4s through tapatalk
    sherlock likes this.
    05-05-2012 12:31 AM
    That's sucks dude. You should buy her a iPhone 4 cases, Waterproof iPhone 4 Cases, Protective Case | LifeProof case for mothers day. They're waterproof and everything. I love mine it's saved my phone countless times. I also think they are have a 10% off for mothers day.

Posted with my iPhone 4s through tapatalk
    They are protective for sure - I have one and have never had a problem. They aren't the nicest case to use tho. imho
    05-05-2012 01:34 AM
    I wonder what it would cost to have it repaired? Might be good to have a squaretrade warrantee for her if she's accident prone.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

She has the only iPhone in the house that didn't get squaretrade insurance(we were busy and forgot to register her for the squaretrade insurance) and verizon just had a promo that ended on 4/30 that allowed for certain customers to purchase equipment coverage even if past 30 days(the only reason this happened is because that one night she forgot to plug her phone in her charger on the dresser). If the camaeras do not work, then I am going to make her get that phone replaced because the main reason she got that phone was so she would have an excellent camera. The phone also keeps turning itself on in the bag of rice so there must be a short in the dock connector. I also noticed(saw this on a website) that if you suck in where the dock connector is, it fixes the no ringer problem(it worked but she's not going to just randomly start sucking in on her phone in public) . The phone also seems to run a tad warm near the rear camera(most likely means it's fried and I downloaded Instagram and it showed black for the camera as well)). Also, here is the pricing for Out of Warranty Repair and Accidental Damage(excluding iphones that have been opened by unauthorized repair persons or phones that are in several pieces)

Out-of-Warranty Service

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.
    iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
    iPhone 4S $199
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
    iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149
    Last edited by VZWiP4; 05-05-2012 at 10:03 AM.
    05-05-2012 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD