Which Android phone is comparable to the 4s?

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So the 4s is my first smartphone and I'm pretty happy with it. At work they replaced my old Nextel with a Samsung Exhibit 2 4g. I was eager to mess with it because the only Android experience I have is with my Nook.

Well I'm pretty shocked at how much this phone sucks next to my 4s. Im pretty sure its Gingerbread and this is a midlevel phone at best but I was still expecting better. There's a lack of fluidity for the touchscreen. It lags. Also web pages (mobile versions) don't render with the proper proportions like on the 4s. If I had started out with one of these I wouldn't have known better but Apple has ruined me.

So I'm assuming there's a better Android option out there. Who's used something that they thought gave the 4a a run for its money? Does ICS come without the problems noted above?

Disturbed_Angel

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I switched to the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx for about a month and a half when it first came out in the end of Jan from my iPhone 4. It was a top tier device, giving the Galaxy Nexus a run for its money in every area except it was on Gingerbread and was waiting for ICS, vs the Nexus had ICS. The iPhone 4 mopped the floor with the Android device. Speed, UI smoothness, memory management, reliability, even the keyboard, and I tried about 4 different ones on the Android, they all sucked for accuracy and correction/prediction. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, added another line for $10 a month, bought a dumb phone on Craigslist, and got an iPhone 4S, which is in another class from Android. The only thing I miss every once in a while is the LTE ( refuse to call LTE 4G, at best it is pre 4G, vs anything else available currently is simply 3G, true 4G is LTE-A, etc.) and even that is only for large DL, like huge apps, other wise in web surfing, pic posting, Internet radio, are all actully better on the iPhone due to I believe far better hard wear. Even the massive screen on the Android was worse than the iPhone, and not just because of retina. The screen was just too big to be comfortable to hold and use with one hand, and I'm 6'4". I really think a 4 in screen is about ideal, but I'll take smaller rather than larger. If I want a bigger screen I'll use my iPad, or my computer, or even my TV.

Hands down, I see no comparison between the iPhone 4S and any current Android device.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Android will always be laggy due to it's design. However there are some really good android phones out there. HTC One X, Droid razr maxx, galaxy nexus are a few that come to mind.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Which Android phone is comparable to the iPhone 4S? In terms of simplicity, popularity & support, arguably none, but in terms of power, speed and variety, take your pick.

Budde2

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I switched to the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx for about a month and a half when it first came out in the end of Jan from my iPhone 4. It was a top tier device, giving the Galaxy Nexus a run for its money in every area except it was on Gingerbread and was waiting for ICS, vs the Nexus had ICS. The iPhone 4 mopped the floor with the Android device. Speed, UI smoothness, memory management, reliability, even the keyboard, and I tried about 4 different ones on the Android, they all sucked for accuracy and correction/prediction. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, added another line for $10 a month, bought a dumb phone on Craigslist, and got an iPhone 4S, which is in another class from Android. The only thing I miss every once in a while is the LTE ( refuse to call LTE 4G, at best it is pre 4G, vs anything else available currently is simply 3G, true 4G is LTE-A, etc.) and even that is only for large DL, like huge apps, other wise in web surfing, pic posting, Internet radio, are all actully better on the iPhone due to I believe far better hard wear. Even the massive screen on the Android was worse than the iPhone, and not just because of retina. The screen was just too big to be comfortable to hold and use with one hand, and I'm 6'4". I really think a 4 in screen is about ideal, but I'll take smaller rather than larger. If I want a bigger screen I'll use my iPad, or my computer, or even my TV.

Hands down, I see no comparison between the iPhone 4S and any current Android device.

I have both iPhone 4s and the galaxy nexus with ics and the galaxy IMO smashes the iPhone you can't say one is better cuz it all is on the user and what they like they are both amazing phones but android is way more capable than any iPhone now and in the future

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sancho90

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I would say anything "top tier" from HTC. More specifically, the One X. Granted, specs wise, the One X blows the 4S out of the water, but Android absolutely NEEDS crazy high specs to even remotely run as superbly as iOS. Even then, it's still wonky.

But, I don't care what they say for PR purposes, HTC will never support their devices like Apple does.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
(iPhone 4S, Tapatalk)

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It all depends on the user, iPhone you have a little more control with but as far as performance, androids will be buggy because it's an open based software but a more stable software on a phone would be almost any HTC phone. I've always loved the quality and stability in Sense. Samsung is so good on the other hand, touch wiz is pretty crappy. Even with the galaxy s II. So I'd just say go for a galaxy nexus because it doesn't have a overlay, it's vanilla android and created directly from google and android.

Budde2

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on the user, iPhone you have a little more control with but as far as performance, androids will be buggy because it's an open based software but a more stable software on a phone would be almost any HTC phone. I've always loved the quality and stability in Sense. Samsung is so good on the other hand, touch wiz is pretty crappy. Even with the galaxy s II. So I'd just say go for a galaxy nexus because it doesn't have a overlay, it's vanilla android and created directly from google and android.

+1 I agree that ios is more stable but it is also limited to what you can do with it Android you can email some one a 30 min video iPhone not even 4 min video can be emailed I can do so much more on my GN than I could ever dream of on my 4s. Not that I don't love my 4s I just like to be able to move around my phone and not what some one else let's me do on the phone I just paid 850 for

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
+1 I agree that ios is more stable but it is also limited to what you can do with it Android you can email some one a 30 min video iPhone not even 4 min video can be emailed I can do so much more on my GN than I could ever dream of on my 4s. Not that I don't love my 4s I just like to be able to move around my phone and not what some one else let's me do on the phone I just paid 850 for

You really email 30min videos? Well ok..

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You really email 30min videos? Well ok..

Maybe something at less than 640x480 30fps.

I saw the headline of the thread and thought to myself this was a question of "what brand of textured soy protein tasted most like real beef"... smh.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Which Android phone is comparable to the iPhone 4S? In terms of simplicity, popularity & support, arguably none, but in terms of power, speed and variety, take your pick.

<clears throat>

I get what your saying but there's so much more that goes into how a device performs. Since when has anything Apple had the most power, speed or variety? Look at the ho hum specs that Macs offer compared to Windows boxes for instance. I see the same thing being true when comparing Android to Apple. ;)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I get what your saying but there's so much more that goes into how a device performs.
Of course.
Since when has anything Apple had the most power, speed or variety?
That was my point. In terms of power, speed & variety, any typical Android device could equal or best an iPhone.
Look at the ho hum specs that Macs offer compared to Windows boxes for instance. I see the same thing being true when comparing Android to Apple. ;)
I agree and specs alone do not equate to superiority. Apple products are elegant, well-built and simple to use. Android products are arguably for the techie types. People who like tweaking and stuff of that nature whereas Joe Public would be overwhelmed and frustrated by all of the settings etcetera. Anyway, I tried to give the OP a personal comparison of what was asked, at least I tried to. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

bbui4

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Like other posters have stated, it really depends on what features are MOST important to you. I personally believe that the iPhone 4S has the BEST mix overall features (except for data speeds and screen size).

Android Equivalents:

HTC One X - Best screen I've ever seen on ANY phone. (LCD2)

Samsung Galaxy S3 - Best overall hardware (not out until june)

Galaxy Nexus - Best user experience. (pure google UI, no skins)

Droid Razr Maxx - Best battery life (it has a terrible screen but an HD razr maxx is coming)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711