iMessage Question

jsf721

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I an new to iPhone and have been reading alot to get up to speed. I read something on this site that reccommended adding a pin to the sim card to prevent the iMessage info from following the phone in the event of a lost or stolen phone. I have asked apple and they say that a remote wipe will accomplish the same thing.

Is the above right?

Also, what is the crook removed the sim before the wipe?

My concern is I want to be able to kill iMessage if I, or my kids loose (have stolen) the iPhone. Currently my apple ID is my Imessage ID and it would be a PITA to change that.

Please reply in detail as I am new and find alot of this over my head.

thanks very much!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If you're that concerned about it, change your iMessage ID to just your phone number. Also, an erase and rest will accomplish the task as well as removing the device from your list of registered devices. You can logon to HERE to do so.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

jsf721

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
If you're that concerned about it, change your iMessage ID to just your phone number. Also, an erase and rest will accomplish the task as well as removing the device from your list of registered devices. You can logon to HERE to do so.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

This will prevent the imessage from working oin the ipad2 correct?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No. You will still be able to use iMessage on your iPad, but if the message was initiated from or you received an iMessage to your iPhone using the phone number as the ID then you will not view the conversation on your iPad. Without the same ID, the conversation will not sync via your devices. That's all.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

jsf721

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
No. You will still be able to use iMessage on your iPad, but if the message was initiated from or you received an iMessage to your iPhone using the phone number as the ID then you will not view the conversation on your iPad. Without the same ID, the conversation will not sync via your devices. That's all.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)
If the iphone was lost and my apple id and imessage id were the same would wipe solve any issues of the person having the phone getting my imessages? have you heard of these issues on these sites?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the iphone was lost and my apple id and imessage id were the same would wipe solve any issues of the person having the phone getting my imessages?
If you wiped your lost device remotely via the 'Find My iPhone' feature on the icloud website, then unless the thief/person who stole/finds your device knows your Apple ID AND password, he or she should not be able to receive your iMessages. As i stated earlier, it wouldnt hurt to remove the lost/stolen device from your list of registered devices.
have you heard of these issues on these sites?
Yes, I have, but not since the iOS 5.1 update.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Last edited:

jsf721

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
If you wiped your lost device remotely via the 'Find My iPhone' feature on the icloud website, then unless the thief/person who stole/finds your device knows your Apple ID AND password, he or she should not be able to receive your iMessages. As i stated earlier, it wouldnt hurt to remove the lost/stolen device from your list of registered devices.
Yes, I have, but not since the iOS 5.1 update.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

How did the update fix this?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods