Help! Downloaded 5.1/Telling me to plug into iTunes

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Just to see if it would fix a wifi issue Ive been having I downloaded 5.1 over wifi. It seemed to go ok and then cycled power on it's own and then...shows a graphic saying to plug into iTunes.

The problem is I don't have iTunes. I downloaded it day 1 on a desktop I no longer have. I realized right away I hated it and, since we are not supposed to need it for software updates, haven't used it since I bought the 4S in October.

The phone is essentially bricked. Pressing the power button appears to cycle power and produce the same graphic. What is going on?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you trying to restore from a backup or set it up as new? Also, can you not use a friend's or family member's computer to complete the setup or take it to a nearby Apple store to complete the setup? Anyway, to answer your question, it used iTunes to activate your device.

Last edited:

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what restore from backup means exactly butt here;s an update.

I downloaded iTunes onto my girlfriend's laptop (something I really really did not want to do). I ran iTunes and it detected my phone immediately and claimed it was in "recovery mode". It then asked me if I wanted to restore it (no experience with this) and, seeing no other options, I said yes. It's doing that now.

It said this will wipe out my contacts but I can get them back after. Is this accurate?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what restore from backup means exactly butt here;s an update.

I downloaded iTunes onto my girlfriend's laptop (something I really really did not want to do). I ran iTunes and it detected my phone immediately and claimed it was in "recovery mode". It then asked me if I wanted to restore it (no experience with this) and, seeing no other options, I said yes. It's doing that now.

It said this will wipe out my contacts but I can get them back after. Is this accurate?

My concern is getting you up and running. Once your phone is back to its working state, getting your contacts, calendar, reminders, etcetera will be easy, especially if you have an icloud, gmail, hotmail, yahoo or exchange account that contains your contacts and stuff. If so, all you have to do is setup the accounts and then that info will automatically sync to your device.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
It's downloading 5.1 right now and is estimating 3 hours. At the rate it's loading data this looks like an accurate estimate. Is that normal?

Man, I feel like an idiot for downloading 5.1 My phone was running perfectly except for this one wifi problem with one router where I live. When I have technical problems I can't help but mess with it. I'm like a kid touching a stove.

Is this what I should be doing to get up and running or should I cancel the download and do something else?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's downloading 5.1 right now and is estimating 3 hours. At the rate it's loading data this looks like an accurate estimate. Is that normal?
I wouldn't say that it's normal, but if Apple's servers are bogged down or your ISP has internet related issues, I can see it taking a long time to download.

Man, I feel like an idiot for downloading 5.1 My phone was running perfectly except for this one wifi problem with one router where I live. When I have technical problems I can't help but mess with it. I'm like a kid touching a stove.
(laughing)...Don't feel bad. I'm exactly the same way. We relish the challenge of conquering the problem and yes, it's a sickness...lol

Is this what I should be doing to get up and running or should I cancel the download and do something else?
Your phone was in recovery mode so I suggest you let it do its thing and hope that the download speed increases so you wouldn't have to wait so long.

Reactions: edd

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The update was 2/3 done and crapped out claiming "connection issues". It's making me start this 3 hour download all over.

I'm going to try a restore without the update. All the phone does is display a graphic of an Apple USB plug connecting to an iTunes icon. That's all. Nothing else.

Today I downloaded the iTunes software onto a laptop. It's already telling me I need to update iTunes. WTF. I'm updating it and trying a restore if I can after unless someone thinks I shouldn't.

If I can't solve it tonight I'm taking it to Sprint nearby. I called them and they say they have a guru there that can likely help.

Love this phone. A little too much obviously because I'm pretty pissed off. I've become way too dependent on this thing.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
You can't restore without updating. It will restore as new since you don't have a backup in iTunes unless you have your contacts etc backed up to iCloud?

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
You can't restore without updating. It will restore as new since you don't have a backup in iTunes unless you have your contacts etc backed up to iCloud?

Yup, I see that now. I mistakenly thought they were separate. I just started it again because why not?

Before I started it it said I would be able to retrieve my media/contacts after the download. Hopefully that's correct.

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
You can re-download everything you got through Apple (iTunes+App Store) if you had any. The contacts will restore from iCloud if you used it otherwise as you add email accounts those contacts will repopulate. However, not having a back-up on a computer is risky and makes it a whole lot more painful of a process. i.m.h.o.

Reactions: edd

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I had errands to run, my friend, so I apologize for my absence. Still, you were in good hands with Sherlock. ;). Anyway, let us hope that the download doesn't take as long and end up timing out on you like before. I have total confidence that if the download is successful, your iPhone will be back up running even better than before.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys,

The download did stall again unfortunately so I am down tonight. I will post here what happens at Sprint tomorrow. I'm not sure what the lesson is here. Don't download updates?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why the download is taking so long and I cannot believe it is a phone issue. Anyway, thanks for updating us and I wish you well tomorrow at the Sprint store. Take care and try to enjoy the rest of your evening ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPad 2)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a ISP issue with the download ... Sprint can prob do it but apple store def can

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a ISP issue with the download ... Sprint can prob do it but apple store def can

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I agree. I would drive by the Sprint store and head for the Apple store if there was one at all close enough.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
If you're still trying to download the update, try to do it on a cable connection?I've always found that any sort of dsl connection is prone to crapping out on these downloads.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The Sprint store solved the issue. Basically restoring and updating the phone like I tried to. Relief overcomes me. The only casualty appears to be my downloaded tracks from Rhapsody which is no big deal.

They just seem to think my wifi sucks. I'm just glad everything was restored.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you got everything taken care of. I knew it couldn't have been your phone. Anyway, thank you for updating us and enjoy the rest of your evening. ;)

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner