Do you have to plug your phone in anymore for software updates?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I remember before ios5 you always had to plug your phone in for software updates. Is that still the case? Or can you do it without plugging it into iTunes now?

Gixxer07

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to be connected to power to do the ota updates. At least last time I did it you didn't have. I updated to 5.1 from jailbroken 5.0.1 so I had to use iTunes.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You don't have to be connected to power to do the ota updates. At least last time I did it you didn't have. I updated to 5.1 from jailbroken 5.0.1 so I had to use iTunes.

This is correct and not correct. You have to have your battery charged more than 50% to be able to update while not being plugged into a power source.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
This is correct and not correct. You have to have your battery charged more than 50% to be able to update while not being plugged into a power source.

This was not enforced in the 5.1 update. I dismissed the warning and upgraded with about 30% available battery no problem.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Downloading OTA also makes the DL much smaller. Over iTunes iOS 5.1 update was 700+MB; I assume the full thing. OTA it said it was ~125MB; I think it was around that.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can update OTA thru settings etc. but if your able to usb to iTunes, i'd suggest that route instead. OTA installs can install 'wonky' for a looser term and then at some point may need a clean restore thru iTunes anyway. if it was me doing the install, i'm all for usb'ing to itunes:) but thats just MPO.

Parry

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
OTA installs can install 'wonky' for a looser term and then at some point may need a clean restore thru iTunes anyway. if it was me doing the install, i'm all for usb'ing to itunes:) but thats just MPO.

Exactly, I remember reading it on one of the forums that the person was advised by Apple to do a DFU install of iOS 5.1 as he still was facing battery drain.

And, after going in for the same he confirms seeing a difference than what it was on thru OTA update.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
With my own personal preference I like to have my phone plugged into itunes to do everything I want to do so that it is backed up first and less likely a chance of anything going wrong and if something does go wrong you have a backup to restore from.