OUCH!! Smashed my screen... $200 later.....

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sitting in my recliner today, phone slid off my lap and into the side of the chair and subsequently "under" the chair. Well, without even thinking, I grab the recliner lever and lower the foot rest and to my dismay hear the most god-awful, gut wrenching sound...... I knew what it was, I was hoping it wasn't though..... yep sure enough, screen shattered.

So I grab my phone, feeling nauseous, and go to get it fixed/repaired/whatever.

First stop is Verizon. Guy looks at it and says I have to make an insurance claim. $199 deductible and they will overnight me a refurb.

So I figure I'll go into Apple and see what they say.

They say $149 for swapping out the phone if I add Apple Care + (which if I had AC+ now this swap would have only cost me $49) So I take them up on it. $249 for swapped phone and AC+.

It sucks that I did such a bonehead thing like this. And I am still kicking myself for lowering down that damn foot rest.

Oh well, live and learn, at least I have a new phone today and am up and running again.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Probably, but seeing as how this is my first Apple product I am leery of doing anything that may screw things up even more. Plus the bottom charging port ended up being damaged too so I would have needed a new on of those.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
There are but some people don't feel comfortable repairing devices like this. Even if he fudged it up and had to make a claim, which are a pain because you have to fill out and fax paper work so it was probably easier this way for him. Not cheaper

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is NEVER, NEVER lower the foot rest. Do WHATEVER it takes to climb out of that recliner.....no matter if your throw your back out doing it. hahahaha

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Probably, but seeing as how this is my first Apple product I am leery of doing anything that may screw things up even more. Plus the bottom charging port ended up being damaged too so I would have needed a new on of those.

And that is why my phone goes safely on the end table next to me lol....

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You made the right decision. If you break it again, you have another chance to pay only $49 for replacement. Smart move. ;)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It sucks that I did such a bonehead thing like this. And I am still kicking myself for lowering down that damn foot rest.

Oh well, live and learn, at least I have a new phone today and am up and running again.

Don't beat yourself up over this, **** happens. Look at it this way, Apple replaced it without charging you the full retail price and they let you add AppleCare+, so IF it happens again you'll get it fixed for $49.

mustangboy88

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So you now have AC+ and VZW Insurance? I would cancel the VZW Insurance and save yourself the money on the bill. That's what I did with Sprint, although they don't offer insurance on iPhones anyways. Do the math.(Sprint) $8 x 24 months = $192 + $100 deductible (that was on my Nexus S 4G) or $99 with a $49 deductible.No sure what VZW charges for insurance. Last I knew it was $7, but even then, $199 deductible for refurbs???? OUCH!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So you now have AC+ and VZW Insurance? I would cancel the VZW Insurance and save yourself the money on the bill. That's what I did with Sprint, although they don't offer insurance on iPhones anyways. Do the math.(Sprint) $8 x 24 months = $192 + $100 deductible (that was on my Nexus S 4G) or $99 with a $49 deductible.No sure what VZW charges for insurance. Last I knew it was $7, but even then, $199 deductible for refurbs???? OUCH!

Only thing is, Verizon's insurance covers lost/stolen which AppleCare+ does not.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

mustangboy88

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Only thing is, Verizon's insurance covers lost/stolen which AppleCare+ does not.

Good point.

I am just going to go back in my dark corner and keep peeking back at all the smart people in envy. ;)

I guess it all comes down to what your situation/tendancies are. I have never lost a phone (knock on wood), but I have walked into a lake waist high before I realized my phone was in my bottom cargo pocket.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
But if you add your device to your homeowners / renters policy for full ratail plus taxes and cases screen protectors or whatever It's only $60 ish a year NO DEDUCTIBLE :D

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm wonder how much my insurance premium would go up the following year then.....

My iPhone is covered as part of my $30,000 in personal property coverage. I can't imaging a $650 claim impacting my premium very much I think my renters is only $260 a year.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Checked with my insurance. It is covered, however, I have a $500 deductible so it's cheaper to just pay the $200 for replacement phone.....plus she said my premium would most likely go up the following year .

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately not all Insurance companies will do this, my homeowners won't. Best thing to do is call and find out for sure if yours would.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

My homeowner's went up this year anyway as it has done every year I've owned my house. Insurance Guy offered me an addendum to my policy to cover my iPhone and my computers and stuff. It was cheaper to stick with Verizon's insurance. No one told me about AppleCare when I bought my phone or I would have done that since it's cheaper and no refurbs.