4G on an AT&T iPhone 4S!

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I looked down and saw 4G on my phone...did I miss the memo? ;)

c6e4dcb7-c363-e047.jpg

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This was one of the new features that was included with the new iOS 5.1 update. When your 4S is in a area with HSPA+ coverage it will now display the 4G symbol.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Rose! I have wifi all day so I didn't see the change until this evening!

Is it true that even though we're in a 4G area, the 4S isn't bandwidth-capable but will display 4G anyway and still drain the battery because it's searching for 4G? (Read on another forum.)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Rose! I have wifi all day so I didn't see the change until this evening!

Is it true that even though we're in a 4G area, the 4S isn't bandwidth-capable but will display 4G anyway and still drain the battery because it's searching for 4G? (Read on another forum.)

If you didn't have a problem with your battery before this update I don't think you'll have a issue now. The 4G symbol is only replacing the 3G symbol in areas where you really are in HSPA+. Unlike before where 3G stayed on all the time whether you were in a HSPA+ area or not.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
People really need to understand that nothing happened to their phones during this 5.1 upgrade. Nothing with the radios has changed as its only the symbol changing. Nothing more. So you will not see any sort of speed increase. Same as its been since day one.

AT&T and Apple really are confusing certain people. :eek:

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
4G at&t you fail! Steve Jobs wouldn't have gone for this bologna. Next thing you know we are going to have carrier logos on the hardware!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Everyone else is advertising HSPA+ as 4G so what wrong with AT&T doing it?

People also jump on AT&T for doing it but they were following T-Mobile yet they don't get nearly as much grief if ever. I've stated it does confuse those less educated with the technology but it's not as big of a deal people believe it to be.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh