I bought the OtterBox Defender, but then returned it because of the bulkiness of it. Now I have a leather wallet that looks like a book that I got at the Apple store.

The most expensive accessories I've bought was the actual phone itself. I've had an Ipad for a year now, and made the stupid mistake of purchasing an Atrix 4 last year instead of the Iphone4. Bought the Iphone 4s a couple weeks ago to complement my Ipad. Now I can justify (hopefully) to my wife that I can't live without an Apple laptop. My Sony laptop is only 18 months old, but will probably start having battery problems and unexpected crashing issues in a couple weeks.
    03-11-2012 09:48 AM
    It costs to be the boss player...
    ..........And in the background I hear Nicki singing "you the boss" and RR with his infamous "uh!"
    itsalexaye likes this.
    03-11-2012 04:49 PM
    I've found myself buying more accessories for my 4S - namely cases, like the Otterbox Impact that came in the mail today - but my Droid X didn't have a glass front AND a glass back. Even though I have Applecare+, I still baby my phone.
    03-12-2012 02:53 PM
    Try an average of $150 per app on a PC. Everything for iOS is a steal by comparison!
    03-12-2012 09:31 PM
    a Porsche is expensive too. Both are some of the best damn money I've ever spent. But I've owned my one (and probably only) Android phone. I'm very glad for the competition - it keeps everyone honest and promotes innovation which is a GREAT thing. However, I dumped my beloved blackberries for an iPhone in 2008 and haven't looked back since.
    Last edited by volsfan0911; 03-12-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: too many smilies
    03-12-2012 11:14 PM
    All I know is cellphoneshop.net is your friend. For cases, either eBay or Amazon will do. I bought 4 cases from both sites for my family and my girlfriend. You just have to research what is right for you and I do plenty of research to make sure it isn't too big or bulky. So far I am happy with my Incipio Edge Pro case. Got it for 10 bucks when original price was $30-40 on their website.
    03-13-2012 11:54 AM
    I don't think that the items in the App Store, or even most of the essential accessories for iPhone 4s are particularly expensive. If anything, the popularity of the phone creates a lot of competition for those accessories, so you have cheap case manufactures, mid-level ones, and then premium cases.
    (P.S. I like the Otterbox Reflex series - protects well and only about 20 bucks on Amazon)

Is the phone expensive overall? Of course! But who doesn't know that going in?! My perspective is this (use this one on my wife often), if I'm going to pay 80 bucks a month for a service/data plan, plus $199 up front, that's thousands of dollars invested over the life of the contract. So it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to save that $14.99 I just spent on MLB At-Bat if that's something I really want to do with the phone. And yes, a handful of 99 cent apps do add up over time, but part of that is just the appeal of the ecosystem, and I use a lot of them on my iPad as well.

You have to watch your budget and know your limits, obviously. But if you shop around and figure out what accessories you need or really really want, I don't think it's unreasonable. We stare at these things for hours per day - you debate the health of that as another matter, but I don't think it's a poor value if you use and enjoy your phone.
    hellomiggy likes this.
    03-13-2012 02:12 PM
    As someone who buys phones off contract regularly both Android and iOS, I don't really see much a difference in accessory prices. I don't go off buying a whole bunch of crap for either of them though. Normally just a basic case and screen protector.
    03-16-2012 12:44 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD