Siri ruined surprise party

evoKY

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
So I created a calender event through Siri for my mom and dads surprise anniversary party only to find out she emailed the event to my mom. My mom wasn't on the invitee list... Siri just emailed it automatically!! What if I scheduled "fire John Doe at 8am on Friday"? Yes, John gets the heads up!! Bad Siri!!

evoKY

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, she knows the relationships of my mom, brother and sister. But if you create an appointment mentioning anyone in your contacts Siri automatically emails them. There should be a way to disable this, or at least have Siri ask for permission first!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Were it me, I'd have done the invite process manually so I had complete control, and could only blame myself should something get screwed up... but I'm funny that way. :D

evoKY

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
That's the thing I didn't invite anyone, I simply put it on my calendar so I remembered. Yes, it is my fault for relying on Siri for doing what she's supposed to do without blabbing it!

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...yeah, the stupid cow just went off running her mouth ;)

Well, thanks for posting this, now I know about this, too. Albeit, I hardly ever use Siri.

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I've set reminders like this via Siri and have never had this problem.... Are you sure you don't have something funky in your settings?

evoKY

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't through the reminder app but through the calendar. I talked to Apple about it and the only work around is to remove your email address out of your Siri associated contact.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
It wasn't through the reminder app but through the calendar. I talked to Apple about it and the only work around is to remove your email address out of your Siri associated contact.

How do you do this?

btw, this has been discussed previously and there really isn't a way around it. Key words like appointment somehow get flagged as an invite.

I've tried numerous different word-iterations to add an "appointment" to my calendar w/o having Siri send an email invite, but to date, nothing successful.

evoKY

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I tested it by removing the email address out of the associated Siri contact and it still does it. Hopefully Apple fixes it in the next update!

sikmentality

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen a few months ago also. I created an event for a friend of mine and Siri sent him an email, I didn't want him to find out that way.

Apple_Fangirl06

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
So I created a calender event through Siri for my mom and dads surprise anniversary party only to find out she emailed the event to my mom. My mom wasn't on the invitee list... Siri just emailed it automatically!! What if I scheduled "fire John Doe at 8am on Friday"? Yes, John gets the heads up!! Bad Siri!!

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had this happen but I've just thought of a simple work around.
I have the same set up as you. My mom is listed in my contacts along with her email address and Siri knows she's my mom. So when I plan on having Siri set anything confidential or a surprise I'll simply tell Siri a different name (code that I know the person by).

Example: If my mom's name is Monica Smith and Siri knows this, I'll use my mom's maiden name (Monica Doe), a nick name that family and friends call her (big mama) or her initials (MNS). My Siri does not know any nick names, maiden names of my contacts and I have no one listed in my contacts by their initials.

"Siri add surprise birthday party for Monica Doe on March xx, 2012."
"Siri add surprise birthday party for big mama on March xx, 2012."

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77