Sprint iPhone 4s Wi Fi Calling Issues

adbrown83

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I bought my wife an iPhone. I am an Android user.

When my wife makes phone calls over Wi Fi she gets horrendous reception. It cuts in and out or totally drops the call. Turn off Wi Fi and her calls are perfectly normal, no problem.

Of note,

This isn't an issue on my Samsung Galaxy SII. I have no problems calling over the Wi Fi at our house.

Our internet is 20 mbps.

She has a simple clear, thin, plastic case over the back.

Our Sprint reception is about the same mine shows 3 bars, she shows 2

Any idea what could be causing this? Any tips or tricks to solve?

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If I understand you correctly, regular cell calls made with wifi on have reception issues. Turning wifi off seems to resolve those issues. Is that right? (I was confused by what you said about calls "over wifi", since even with wifi on, regular cell calls use a different antenna.)

Nevertheless, this sounds like an unusual problem. It sounds theoretically possible that you could be getting some kind of wifi interference with your voice calls -- though the phones are designed to prevent this kind of interference. I have trouble with wifi while using a Bluetooth headset, so I will frequently disable wifi while using my Bluetooth headset to ensure optimum sound quality.

I've never experienced this problem while making calls using the phone's earpiece, however. Is Bluetooth on? Another possibility is if she is just on the edge of the wifi signal, there could be more interference.

Try this: does making calls with wifi on cause problems while on other networks? If problems appear only on the home network, do they persist even if she changes her physical location (eg nearer and farther from the router)?

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd do a full restore on the device, if your problems persist then I'd take it to Apple for a replacement device!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
What frequency is your wifi router? 2.4 ghz? 5 ghz? Sprints PCS spectrum is in the 1.8 ghz range. Improper shielding between your wifi and cellular radios in your iPhone may be the cause. Has the phone been dropped or dismantled (battery change, back cover replacement, other tinkering)?

I had to buy a 5 ghz router because my cordless phones would interfere and knock out my Internet.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro