What is the point of registering my iPhone in Itunes?

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought my first iphone, a 4s. I wanted to know why should i register my phone. If it matters i already had an existing itunes account tied to paypal. I can make purchases whenever i want to. I have no issues buying apps or anything. I've had my phone for two months and i always click register later. Anyways any info would be appreciated.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I bought my first iphone, a 4s. I wanted to know why should i register my phone. If it matters i already had an existing itunes account tied to paypal. I can make purchases whenever i want to. I have no issues buying apps or anything. I've had my phone for two months and i always click register later. Anyways any info would be appreciated.

I really do not know what you are asking. If you already have an iTunes account just enter the log-in information for your account and you are done.

Reactions: 9thWonder

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree that if you just enter your itunes info you will be done. What is your exact reason anyway for not wantingto register? Although I am sure once you bought your phone cetainly you registered it or when it was first plugged in to itunes it had to be activated and registered.

Bottom line is you want Apple to have all your info so if I have a problem especially if you bought Applecare + to extend your warranty, you want you problem you may have taken care of and you better make sure it is registered.

Reactions: 9thWonder

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I really do not know what you are asking. If you already have an iTunes account just enter the log-in information for your account and you are done.

No that's now what i'm asking. I know how to use my itunes account. Maybe I can be clearer.

Every time i put my iphone on the cradle i get this screen.

110-untitled-12.jpg

What I'm asking is there any good reason to click "continue? and "register my iphone." Is there some benefit that i get from doing this? Do they send me free stuff? I don't want to give Apple (or anyone else) more information then they already have. My phone works fine. Will i be missing something if i click "never register?" I just wanted some feedback before i click "never register."

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree that if you just enter your itunes info you will be done. What is your exact reason anyway for not wantingto register? Although I am sure once you bought your phone cetainly you registered it or when it was first plugged in to itunes it had to be activated and registered.

Bottom line is you want Apple to have all your info so if I have a problem especially if you bought Applecare + to extend your warranty, you want you problem you may have taken care of and you better make sure it is registered.

I don't want Apple having more info then i already gave them. I just don't like having to sign up for more stuff and put more info out there. Hell they probably have lots of it anyways. I don't need to help them.

No, i did not have to register my phone when i first bought it. It works find just continuing to hit register later. I've done that for about three months now. It was activated in store. then they handed it to me and it was working already. I came home, plugged it in, saw the screen above, and always clicked "register later."

I don't have any applecare extended warranty. In case you were curious warranties for a retail product like cellphones run from the date of purchase. I have my purchase receipt from the sprint store. That's all I need for warranty service. Additionally there are be implied warranties of fitness and merchantability anyways.

Last edited:

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
If you register, you won't get that annoying screen again.

But if i click "never register" the annoying screen goes away also. that's the point of the question. What benefit do i get that i don't already have from "registering?" I'm sort of getting the idea that you get nothing from doing it. That people just do it.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you able to sync your apps to iTunes and all the usual stuff without registering? iCloud, software updates, etc? I skipped the 4S, and don't remember ever seeing this screen on my iP4 or 3G; I'm guessing it only came with the PC-free era of iPhones?

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you able to sync your apps to iTunes and all the usual stuff without registering? iCloud, software updates, etc? I skipped the 4S, and don't remember ever seeing this screen on my iP4 or 3G; I'm guessing it only came with the PC-free era of iPhones?

Yep. Everything works fine. i can do anything with the iphone i want. it syncs apps. i can put music and videos on it. All that stuff. i can use icloud fine (i only use it for contacts but it works), i've bought apps (camera+), i updated the ios just fine. It back's up just fine. I back up to the computer not iCloud. I clicked never register. I haven't heard a good enough reason to do it. So i just didn't.

Last edited:

END

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe there is any definitive point in registering your phone (no rewards per se).

It is probably just like any other product one buys and the company asks if you wish to register the product. Sometimes, a company for registering a product will give you a slightly longer warranty or some such gift for registering, but this is not the case here.

Having said that, some may feel better knowing they registered their device, perhaps as backup proof of purchase etc. Just a choice we all make. Once you tell it to not ask you again, it will stop popping up.

:)

ricnmar

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if there is a recall they can track your device that way and send you an email about it. I had an old 1st gen Nano that Apple replaced for me just this last year with the touch screen Nano because the 1st gen batteries were blowing up on people. They sent me an email out of the blue notifying me that this was going on and then they sent me a return box and two weeks later I had a latest gen Nano.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
No that's now what i'm asking. I know how to use my itunes account. Maybe I can be clearer.

Every time i put my iphone on the cradle i get this screen.

Click to view quoted image

What I'm asking is there any good reason to click "continue? and "register my iphone." Is there some benefit that i get from doing this? Do they send me free stuff? I don't want to give Apple (or anyone else) more information then they already have. My phone works fine. Will i be missing something if i click "never register?" I just wanted some feedback before i click "never register."

That's to register the phone with Apple and your account. Hit next and it should ask if you already have an iTunes account, enter your login information. It should then associated that iPhone with your account so if you need support Apple can just take your name and other ID info and know what you have.

If you do not do this and need support you will need to manually give Apple the serial number off the phone because they will not know what device you have.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't want Apple having more info then i already gave them. I just don't like having to sign up for more stuff and put more info out there. Hell they probably have lots of it anyways. I don't need to help them.

No, i did not have to register my phone when i first bought it. It works find just continuing to hit register later. I've done that for about three months now. It was activated in store. then they handed it to me and it was working already. I came home, plugged it in, saw the screen above, and always clicked "register later."

I don't have any applecare extended warranty. In case you were curious warranties for a retail product like cellphones run from the date of purchase. I have my purchase receipt from the sprint store. That's all I need for warranty service. Additionally there are be implied warranties of fitness and merchantability anyways.

I and probably everyone who has answered you fully understand what you are saying and where you are going but IMHO iI think you should do as many have said and just enter you Apple ID and itunes info already and the system will do the rest sending your 4S serial number and size to Apple so that if you go to Apple and sign up a daytime and evening number for contact, when you call in they know who you are by name and you go right to tech support-Applecare and not be hassled for you serial number everytime.

I had to learn this the hard way!!

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
No benefit to registering other than having your information on file in the event of warranty replacement. No biggie, sounds like you should skip it and sleep better at night.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW