data and facebook question

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
my kids both have facebook on their phones. i am noticing more data on my bill lately. Does this app constantly use up data if they just get out of the app and not actually do the multi-tasking thing and shut it down?? or does it just kind of sit in background and not use data?

because I can't figure out any other reason why they are using more data..
thanks..

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Third party apps cannot run in the background. Apps in the app switcher are not running, they are in suspended state (stored in memory at their last position). They cannot request CPU time or move data.

Some can complete a single task after you exit the app, like finish downloading/uploading but they are only given I think a max of 2 minutes to do so after which the app is moved to suspended state. But this would not add additional data use as the downloading/uploading would occur anyway.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Unless they're watching lots of videos through the app. Like when someone posts a video they'll click on it
and it will stream in the in-app browser.

StaticFX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Some 3rd party spas CAN run in the background. Like pandora. But Facebook doesn't. That's why it has to refresh when u open it.

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Third party apps cannot run in the background. Apps in the app switcher are not running, they are in suspended state (stored in memory at their last position). They cannot request CPU time or move data.

Some can complete a single task after you exit the app, like finish downloading/uploading but they are only given I think a max of 2 minutes to do so after which the app is moved to suspended state. But this would not add additional data use as the downloading/uploading would occur anyway.

This is mostly true -- except as also mentioned that many third party apps do continue to run in the background (e.g. Streaming apps, gps trackers, VoIP apps, navigation apps), and apps may request up to ten minutes to complete downloading and uploading activities.

I believe that Facebook will continue an active upload or download if it is in the background, but it has a max of ten minutes to complete before iOS moves it to a suspended state.

For a good read on this, see here: http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

Also here:
http://www.imore.com/2011/02/18/tipb-answers-close-apps-multitasking-dock/

Now the source of the additional data is a good question. If you noticed a recent spike, did that increase coincide with new Facebook usage? I am inclined to look for other explanations (unless they are new users to Facebook). Did they download a new podcast app that allows downloads over 3G? Download a few podcasts and you could add a half gig of data. Are they skyping over 3G?

If their phones are jailbroken, a host of other possibilities exists (FaceTime over 3G, downloading some apps over 3G could eat up a gig just for one app). Let us know if you discover anything!

phillies20

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Good info.. thanks... She just basically uses facebook, texting, emails and some games.. she loves temple run.. not sure if that uses much data.. she has been using facebook for a long time. She said she sometimes uses pandora, but not often..

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Pandora reportedly uses about 28MB per hour. Not sure how big of a data jump you saw, but if it was left on, that could add up.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner