Water Damage

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
After reading the story on the first page of imore I started to get worried about water damage. If I have water damage will everything still work? Also, how much would I have to pay for a replacement iPhone or is it even covered under applecare. I don't believe I have any but I looked and I couldn't even see the sensors in the dock and headphone jack.

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
All questions are dependent on the circumstances, did the phone just got spiled on or did it go for a swim. I have heard of phones living after the washing machine and some dead after a puddle drop.
With Apple, it all depends on the Genius and your attitude.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
After reading the story on the first page of imore I started to get worried about water damage. If I have water damage will everything still work? Also, how much would I have to pay for a replacement iPhone or is it even covered under applecare. I don't believe I have any but I looked and I couldn't even see the sensors in the dock and headphone jack.

www.LifeProof.com = peace of mind.
Or enter here to win one
http://lfpmsweeps.contestcore.com/entry/100695

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't dropped it in water. i mean a few drops on my screen and i mean tiny little drops but i have a screen protector. I also have been walking in the rain a couple of times with it in my pocket. Do you think anything could have happened? I may just be paranoid but I don't want anything to happen to this thing

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I have to say, I agree with shooter here:) I've recently switched my case to an LP approx 2 wks ago, and taking my phone into the shower for music, or when i walked out into pouring rain the other day with my phone in my hand didn't phase me at all. Dried it off, and was good to gooooooo !!

So, save yourself from worrying about the few drops you've encountered, and look into trying one out for yourself:)

Last edited:

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
well my main worry is that i currently can't tell if I have water damage and if I do I will have to pay for a replacement and I don't know how much that will cost me

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, when you looked into the headphone jack, you need to look directly at the bottom, and you'll be able to see the little white 'dot'. And when looking into the dock, looking at it top and bottom of the inside you should see nothing but white also.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
in the dock i dont see anything under the connector it looks like a little tiny strip but its not white or red, it looks like a blue. and in the jack it looks like there is something fuzzy and white in their

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
in the dock i dont see anything under the connector it looks like a little tiny strip but its not white or red, it looks like a blue. and in the jack it looks like there is something fuzzy and white in their

actually in the dock as well their is a white fuzzy thing in corner but that could just be dust

Ok, I'd have to say if you don't see any pink or red at all in either ports using a flashlight, then I would tend to believe you are safe from any type of water damage there. IF anything was pink or red, I would 'think' it would be easily visible I would hope.

If you think you see dust in either of the ports, don't go picking at it you could damage something. Instead try to gently blow it out, or use canned air on a very soft pressure. Blowing air too hard could cause the dust to enter deeper and cause damage also.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
if anything does happen how much woukd i have to pay since its not covered under applecare+

Now that I honestly couldn't help you with. When you got your iPhone, did Sprint offer you an insurance plan to pay monthly, say $10, through them for total equipment coverage?

I can say I have Verizon and have their Total Equipment Coverage for $9.99 mthly. If anything happens and I go through their ins it'll cost me $189 deductible to replace my phone. But I also purchased AC+ to have as a back up as well, BUT i was told AC+ does not cover physical damage-ie. Water damage. This is where I would have to use my Verizon insurance for something of that sort.

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I do have insurance through Sprint along with AC+ but I'm not sure if they will cover water damage. I just don't want to have to buy a brand new iPhone for 750 bucks when I have insurance that should cover something

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I do have insurance through Sprint along with AC+ but I'm not sure if they will cover water damage. I just don't want to have to buy a brand new iPhone for 750 bucks when I have insurance that should cover something

What i would suggest to you is to call Sprint, and see what coverage that your paying for offers, and also specifically ask the rep if your insurance with Sprint covers for water damage, or a dropped phone(cracked glass) etc. This way you will know the exact coverage, and if you need a replacement what your deductible will be & turn around time for receiving a replacement:)

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Garz actually clarified this for me last night that AppleCare+ does cover water damage. It's still a $50 deductible but it is covered. Thanks for the help Pink

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Garz actually clarified this for me last night that AppleCare+ does cover water damage. It's still a $50 deductible but it is covered. Thanks for the help Pink

Yw, and yes the ded is 50 but when I called back in Dec to add AC+ to my 4S, the rep specifically told me that water damage would not be covered. I think I'm going to call them this week and find out further--perhaps the rep I placed my AC+ order with made a mistake.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, i just made a phone call to Apple directly because i've been hearing mixed things myself about the AC+ coverage. So here's the deal right from the reps mouth: AC+ DOES indeed cover for 2 accidental damage incidents for the term of the 2yr policy, whether its a dropped iphone with shattered glass or a dropped iphone into water/puddle, with a $49 charge, and it also covers for tech issues. It does NOT cover for lost or stolen phones.

Now, he also did say that the basic Apple Care policy DOES NOT cover any sort of accidental damage.

So this should clear up any questionable coverage now:)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

I didn't think Sprint offered insurance. Even if they did, that's a bit overkill. Applecare + is probably worthwhile in that it adds another year.

But you can easily get by with just adding nothing. It comes with a year of basic apple care which takes care of many situations. If that doesn't, you only pay 199 for any "out of warranty" replacement.

In other words, with no insurance or anything bought, a water damaged iphone should be a 199 repair. They usually just give you a replacement though for the 199. Older iphones other than the 4S would be 149.

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.
iPhone model Out-of-Warranty Service
iPhone 4S $199
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS,
iPhone 3G, Original iPhone $149

A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are in U.S. dollars and are subject to local tax.

When setting up out-of-warranty service, Apple will request credit card pre-authorization for the maximum service fee listed above. This amount will be deducted from your credit limit. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPhone that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service

ipartsrepair

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
OR you could go to a professional to get a water damage cleaning repair.
Generally there is about a 75% recovery rate on iPhones.
AND if they don't recover it they don't charge you....how can that not be a win/win?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh