This applies to my iphone 4S and my wife's iphone 4: Can anyone tell my why photos consume more space on the iphone than on my PC? Example: According to iTunes, the amount of space consumed by photos on my phone is 2.9GB. By comparison the same photos on my PC only consume's the following: Photostream 35.1 MB, the photos I've loaded from my old phone 557 MB. The phone is using over 3 times the amount of space to store the pix. It would not be a big deal but considering that I only have a 16GB phone and my wife has a 8GB, I feel like we are getting rooked out of storage space. Anyone have any answers or a possible fix to this?
    02-20-2012 06:34 PM
    What about your camera roll?
    02-20-2012 11:55 PM
    Thanks for responding. For simplicity sake, after i posted the original message I removed all of my photos from the phone except my camera roll. The camera roll has 175 pics and photo stream has 3 pics according to the iPhone. iTunes now shows there is 3.5GB of photos on my phone. The photo stream folder on my PC shows as 327 MB. There are no other copies of these photos or photo stream in any other location on my PC.

iTunes shows Audio 1.54 GB, Photos 3.5GB, Apps 4.5GB, Other .78GB, and free space 3.4 GB(16GB phone).

On the iPhone under Settings>General>About: 402 songs, 4 videos, 174 photos, 46 apps, 3.3 GB available.

I hope this helps.
    02-21-2012 10:24 AM
    i'm having the same problem

iTunes is reporting 3.7 gb for photos, which is rediculous

my entire iPhoto library is only about 500 mb, and I don't even have all the albums synced.

tried a full backup/restore and that didn't work
    03-09-2012 12:36 AM
    What does it show when you look on the dcim folder in windows ?

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    03-09-2012 01:20 AM
    I don't know if this will work for everyone else, but I got tired of dealing with it so synced all my pictures to my PC, deleted all the pics from my phone, reset iCloud, then did the old drag and drop to the dcim folder from the folder where I have all the pics stored on my PC. It is kind of a pain in the a$$ but it works. Now iTunes only shows .72 GB of photos on the phone.

To answer your question Peligro911, I don't remember exactly, but when I looked in the dcim folder every one of the photos were double to triple in size from the exact same pic saved on my PC. I read somewhere in Apple's forum that iTunes "optimizes" photos that are synced to the phone so I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I'm not a conspiracy theorist and whether intentional or not, I kind of get the feeling that I was getting screwed out of valuable memory space. Next upgrade, I will be moving to at least the 32GB model but for now I just have to optimize every MB of space I have with minimal compromise.
    03-11-2012 10:56 PM
    Cool it worked but funny thing is it would not let me drag to the iPhone only from it

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    03-11-2012 11:54 PM
    Hmmm, ok. It has been a couple of weeks since I did this so I may have left a step out. Give me a day or two and I will retrace my steps to see if I can remember exactly what I did.
    03-12-2012 12:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD