Sup guys, I am interested in buying an iPhone 4s off ebay, can someone please confirm whether or not an iPhone 4s from Sprint will work in the Bahamas on my local GSM provider.

I ask because I heard the Sprint 4s come unlock for international sim cards.

02-09-2012 02:02 AM
    Can't speak for sprint but with Verizon they have to unlock it so might be same for sprint

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    02-09-2012 03:02 AM
    Why does the title of your thread say Bad ESN? If the ESN is bad Sprint might have that 4S locked down, which might give you issues with activation.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    02-09-2012 08:16 AM
    I believe sprint will only unlock iPhones for customers after 60 or 90 days that are in good standing
    02-09-2012 08:20 AM
    I believe sprint will only unlock iPhones for customers after 60 or 90 days that are in good standing
    This is Sprints unlock policy:

"Sprint's policy is to have the iPhone 4S SIM locked to our network domestically and internationally. At launch, the International SIM will be unlocked. We do expect a SIM lock to be pushed to the devices shortly after launch. We will then allow existing customers in good standing to unlock the SIM for international use if needed in the future."

02-09-2012 08:47 AM
    This is Sprints unlock policy:

"Sprint's policy is to have the iPhone 4S SIM locked to our network domestically and internationally. At launch, the International SIM will be unlocked. We do expect a SIM lock to be pushed to the devices shortly after launch. We will then allow existing customers in good standing to unlock the SIM for international use if needed in the future."

This is what I am concerned about; I saw multiple threads with different suggestions so I wasnt sure and wanted to make sure before I put down $420.

I guess the next question for me is whether or not the SIM lock has been pushed to the devices as yet and if they have not, is there a way to prevent it from ever being pushed?

I really want a 4s but really cant afford to drop $650 for a factory unlock.
    02-09-2012 09:45 AM
    Sorry, there isn't really a way to determine whether it's been locked or not from Sprint. You can't tell by the ESN or anything. As far as preventing it from being locked, there isn't a way that I know of.
    02-09-2012 11:12 AM
    Why does the title of your thread say Bad ESN? If the ESN is bad Sprint might have that 4S locked down, which might give you issues with activation.

My thoughts exactly. The only reason it would have a bad ESN would be if it was stolen or the persons bill was not paid.
    02-09-2012 11:27 AM
    My thoughts exactly. The only reason it would have a bad ESN would be if it was stolen or the persons bill was not paid.
    Im sorry for not clarifying.

I'm looking at a few "Bad ESN" 4s on ebay, and I read that bad esn means it blocked from the network, Sprint or Verizon (CDMA networks).

But if you take it out of the US, like I intend to, then that wont matter w/ my GSM carrier.

I still havent found out whether or not the sim is unlocked for int'l sim cards.

At this point, it just isnt worth the risk.
    02-14-2012 08:42 AM
    There is no way for you to tell if the carrier updated the GSMA database or not. If he did, the lockout is global.
    02-14-2012 08:49 AM
    I have a similar issue, i bought a new IPhone 4S in Hong Kong. When I came back home in Europe, I opened the box, slided in my SIM, and it did not work. The phone seemed to be SIM locked by Verizon. So I contacted Verizon to unlock. They replied that the phone had a bad ESN. For a phone that came brand new out a sealed box, it was very strange. So now, I'm stuck. As I'm based in Europe, it is clear that I will not use the phone on the Verizon network, but on only on European operators.
    Is there anybody around that can advise me how to solve this issue.
    I bought the phone in a hughe phone shop in Hong Kong for over 450€. Having no idea that they would sell me stolen phones, as they looked exactly as in any European shop. The price difference with Europe is exactly tha VAT value, as the VAT in Hong Kong is zero.
    10-16-2012 06:33 PM
    I have a similar issue, i bought a new IPhone 4S in Hong Kong. When I came back home in Europe, I opened the box, slided in my SIM, and it did not work. The phone seemed to be SIM locked by Verizon. So I contacted Verizon to unlock. They replied that the phone had a bad ESN. For a phone that came brand new out a sealed box, it was very strange. So now, I'm stuck. As I'm based in Europe, it is clear that I will not use the phone on the Verizon network, but on only on European operators.
    Is there anybody around that can advise me how to solve this issue.
    I bought the phone in a hughe phone shop in Hong Kong for over 450. Having no idea that they would sell me stolen phones, as they looked exactly as in any European shop. The price difference with Europe is exactly tha VAT value, as the VAT in Hong Kong is zero.
    There is some services on eBay that make Verizon bad ESN phones good and or clean .. Once that's done you might be able to get them to unlock it

Or check on eBay for Verizon unlocks they might be rare thou

Best solution is if your on 5.1.1 ... Jailbreak it and then use a r sim iii and that will unlock the gsm part of the phone for any gsm carrier
    10-16-2012 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD