Proximity sensor

breadmanjp

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I have constant issues with the iPhone 4s hanging up while talking. It seems the proximity sensor isn't working the way i thought it would. If I place the phone under my chin while talking, it seems that my face either "mutes" the call or many times "ends" it by hanging up. I am using a BookBook case (which I really like) but I wonder if this is causing my problem. Also, where exactly is the sensor? Anybody got any suggestions?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The sensor is right the the left of the speaker on top of the phone. Have you tried removing the case to see if that helps?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have to say its the case causing your issues. I had a Michael Kors wristlet case that the phone inserted into, similar to the book book, and it caused my proximity sensor to act weird. After using it for a day or two, I took my phone out of it and all was back to normal. :)

I'd try removing your phone from the case and see if it stops.

Sent from iPinkks 4S using Tapatalk

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have constant issues with the iPhone 4s hanging up while talking. It seems the proximity sensor isn't working the way i thought it would. If I place the phone under my chin while talking, it seems that my face either "mutes" the call or many times "ends" it by hanging up. I am using a BookBook case (which I really like) but I wonder if this is causing my problem. Also, where exactly is the sensor? Anybody got any suggestions?

I only had this issue when using the BookBook. I think it just loosens up from sliding the phone in and out for pics. I LOVE my BookBook though, so I live with it. I've though about putting a small bit of Velcro on the tab and case to hold it snug.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I thought the proximity sensor was right above the ear speaker... and the front facing camera was to the left of the ear speaker....

Yes, you are correct. The prox sensor is the slot right above the ear speaker & the front facing camera is the circle to the left of the ear speaker :)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Was a late night at work yesterday and if I come on the forums I like to answer as many people as possible. Just get caught up at times. :eek:

I hear ya, and hey, it happens to all of us at some point. I know I've probably made a mistake here and there with trying my best to help someone also. We are only human;):)

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Otterbox Defender causes this issue? My wife has a white iP4 and she is constantly muting calls. She has a Defender on the phone. I have a 4S and use the Commuter and the screen goes off the second I get it up to my ear. Thanks!

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Otterbox Defender causes this issue? My wife has a white iP4 and she is constantly muting calls. She has a Defender on the phone. I have a 4S and use the Commuter and the screen goes off the second I get it up to my ear. Thanks!

I have a defender on my 4S & it doesn't seem to pose a problem. Wasnt there an issue with the prox sensors on the 4?

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It was an issue early in my I4 phone, but never in my iPhone 4S.

Is she using the updated version of the defender or the original for the iPhone 4? There were issues with the original defender and the white iPhone....

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Is she using the updated version of the defender or the original for the iPhone 4? There were issues with the original defender and the white iPhone....

She's using an iPhone 4 and I guess the original defender. We just got it about 3 weeks ago from Amazon. We took it off and her sensor worked. That sucks. She really likes that case.

Apple Ifad

May 25, 2010
Visit site
God bad flash backs to my iPhone 4. That issue was worse than antenna gate as far as I'm concerned. Finally made me upgrade to the 4s. I still remember the pages of posts about it on apples support site, all the arguments about its cause and weather it could be fixed. It never was. I still think Apple should have given me a free iPhone 4s for living with that issue. Although jail breaking it helped because thee is a app that locks the screen it was still a pita.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods