I have constant issues with the iPhone 4s hanging up while talking. It seems the proximity sensor isn't working the way i thought it would. If I place the phone under my chin while talking, it seems that my face either "mutes" the call or many times "ends" it by hanging up. I am using a BookBook case (which I really like) but I wonder if this is causing my problem. Also, where exactly is the sensor? Anybody got any suggestions?
    02-03-2012 06:11 PM
    The sensor is right the the left of the speaker on top of the phone. Have you tried removing the case to see if that helps?
    02-03-2012 06:27 PM
    It was an issue early in my I4 phone, but never in my iPhone 4S.
    02-03-2012 06:43 PM
    I have to say its the case causing your issues. I had a Michael Kors wristlet case that the phone inserted into, similar to the book book, and it caused my proximity sensor to act weird. After using it for a day or two, I took my phone out of it and all was back to normal.

I'd try removing your phone from the case and see if it stops.

Sent from iPinkks 4S using Tapatalk
    02-03-2012 08:08 PM
    I have constant issues with the iPhone 4s hanging up while talking. It seems the proximity sensor isn't working the way i thought it would. If I place the phone under my chin while talking, it seems that my face either "mutes" the call or many times "ends" it by hanging up. I am using a BookBook case (which I really like) but I wonder if this is causing my problem. Also, where exactly is the sensor? Anybody got any suggestions?
    I only had this issue when using the BookBook. I think it just loosens up from sliding the phone in and out for pics. I LOVE my BookBook though, so I live with it. I've though about putting a small bit of Velcro on the tab and case to hold it snug.
    02-03-2012 10:20 PM
    The sensor is right the the left of the speaker on top of the phone. Have you tried removing the case to see if that helps?
    I thought the proximity sensor was right above the ear speaker... and the front facing camera was to the left of the ear speaker....
    02-04-2012 08:42 AM
    I thought the proximity sensor was right above the ear speaker... and the front facing camera was to the left of the ear speaker....
    Yes, you are correct. The prox sensor is the slot right above the ear speaker & the front facing camera is the circle to the left of the ear speaker
    02-04-2012 08:54 AM
    Sue me, I was working when I replied.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    02-04-2012 09:45 AM
    I was thinking a little tipsy but all good.... i actually opened up the camera to make sure.
    02-04-2012 10:11 AM
    I fig'd you had to have been pre-occupied with something
    02-04-2012 10:15 AM
    I fig'd you had to have been pre-occupied with something
    Was a late night at work yesterday and if I come on the forums I like to answer as many people as possible. Just get caught up at times. :o
    02-04-2012 01:16 PM
    Was a late night at work yesterday and if I come on the forums I like to answer as many people as possible. Just get caught up at times. :o
    I hear ya, and hey, it happens to all of us at some point. I know I've probably made a mistake here and there with trying my best to help someone also. We are only human
    02-04-2012 04:47 PM
    Stress from work will make you do STRANGE things. LOL
    02-05-2012 10:34 AM
    Does anyone know if the Otterbox Defender causes this issue? My wife has a white iP4 and she is constantly muting calls. She has a Defender on the phone. I have a 4S and use the Commuter and the screen goes off the second I get it up to my ear. Thanks!
    03-01-2012 08:50 PM
    Does anyone know if the Otterbox Defender causes this issue? My wife has a white iP4 and she is constantly muting calls. She has a Defender on the phone. I have a 4S and use the Commuter and the screen goes off the second I get it up to my ear. Thanks!
    I have a defender on my 4S & it doesn't seem to pose a problem. Wasnt there an issue with the prox sensors on the 4?

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk
    03-01-2012 11:42 PM
    It was an issue early in my I4 phone, but never in my iPhone 4S.
    Is she using the updated version of the defender or the original for the iPhone 4? There were issues with the original defender and the white iPhone....
    03-02-2012 05:08 AM
    Is she using the updated version of the defender or the original for the iPhone 4? There were issues with the original defender and the white iPhone....
    She's using an iPhone 4 and I guess the original defender. We just got it about 3 weeks ago from Amazon. We took it off and her sensor worked. That sucks. She really likes that case.
    03-02-2012 08:46 AM
    God bad flash backs to my iPhone 4. That issue was worse than antenna gate as far as I'm concerned. Finally made me upgrade to the 4s. I still remember the pages of posts about it on apples support site, all the arguments about its cause and weather it could be fixed. It never was. I still think Apple should have given me a free iPhone 4s for living with that issue. Although jail breaking it helped because thee is a app that locks the screen it was still a pita.
    03-03-2012 01:58 PM
    My phone would open up siri in the middle of a call, i had to turn off the siri when held up to face feature
    03-04-2012 06:18 PM
    I had to turn this feature off.
    I found it annoying but I sure it was mostly user error.
    Good Luck
    03-05-2012 12:08 AM
    I am the OP and still have issues with the phone muting or hanging up calls. I have learned to either use the speaker function when making calls or Bluetooth or Apple wired headphones as the only solution to my problem. Very annoying to people on the other end of the call.
    03-05-2012 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD