When I lock the screen the phone turns over to 3G then when unlock the screen it connects back to Wi-Fi. Is anyone having this same issue and knows how to correct? If I turn the phone off then back on it will correct itself but will devert back in a couple of days. Any help would be appreciated.
    02-01-2012 09:59 AM
    Have you tried connecting to another WiFi source only to have the same results?
    02-01-2012 10:01 AM
    It is my home network that has the problem. I have not been on another connection long enough to notice anything. It isnt a huge issue just know that 3g takes up more battery than wi-fi.
    02-01-2012 10:04 AM
    It may be an issue on your networks side and not the phone. Could be a simple setting in the router.
    02-01-2012 10:16 AM
    I wasn't aware that was an issue, I assumed it was normal...I've had several different iPhones and they all do that
    02-01-2012 10:50 AM
    I wasn't aware that was an issue, I assumed it was normal...I've had several different iPhones and they all do that
    WiFi should stay connected at all times and it should not disconnect when the phone is in sleep mode.
    02-01-2012 10:54 AM
    Hmm, that's odd...it kicks back to wifi as soon as the screen is unlocked so it's not a big deal to me. Like I said, I've had several iPhones myself and my wife has had two...all do the same thing. My mother has one and hers does the same, as does mine when I'm on her wifi.
    02-01-2012 10:57 AM
    Hmm, that's odd...it kicks back to wifi as soon as the screen is unlocked so it's not a big deal to me. Like I said, I've had several iPhones myself and my wife has had two...all do the same thing. My mother has one and hers does the same, as does mine when I'm on her wifi.
    That could be disastrous for those who are limited with 3G data, especially while streaming Sirius radio, Pandora, etc... That would mean any data that is coming thru while the phone is in sleep mode is using it and not WiFi. That's not right.
    02-01-2012 11:04 AM
    02-01-2012 11:14 AM
    Well some of those people in that thread are not correct. It is supposed to stay connected. It's no different with say an iPad. If you have a WiFi only iPad you get alerts and emails while it is in sleep mode no? You should because the WiFi stays on.

And for the record I just tested it the past hour while streaming Sirius and getting emails. I checked the data usage via AT&T's web site to track my data usage before and after the hour. Did not increase one bit. Now if WiFi was disabled it would obviously have increased.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 02-01-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    02-01-2012 11:19 AM
    It does stay connected from what I read, just goes dormant...if it really disconnected then it would take longer than a split second to reconnect every time I unlock the phone.
    02-01-2012 11:21 AM
    It does stay connected from what I read, just goes dormant...if it really disconnected then it would take longer than a split second to reconnect every time I unlock the phone.
    Yeah, I updated my last post with a little test I did.
    02-01-2012 11:23 AM
    cool, now we know for sure...lol, how's that, OP?
    jkmasi likes this.
    02-01-2012 11:25 AM
    cool, now we know for sure...lol, how's that, OP?
    But if you see 3G when you first turn your phone on, it may not be working properly. I know I see the WiFi logo all the time. Never does it show the 3G icon when turning the phone on.
    02-01-2012 11:29 AM
    I thought it went to sleep after like 10 minutes or so?
    02-01-2012 11:35 AM
    I thought it went to sleep after like 10 minutes or so?
    With no use what so ever it's possible but if I leave my phone along for hours while connected to WiFi and turn it on, I do not see the 3G logo. Right away I see the WiFi logo. I don't see it switch like the OP reports.
    02-01-2012 11:37 AM
    I see the 3G symbol if I let it sleep, I don't stream data or anything while it sleeps...if I sit it down, it's in theory doing nothing at all so it makes sense to me that I would briefly see the 3G symbol.
    02-01-2012 11:39 AM
    I see the 3G symbol if I let it sleep, I don't stream data or anything while it sleeps...if I sit it down, it's in theory doing nothing at all so it makes sense to me that I would briefly see the 3G symbol.
    I'll stop streaming and leave it for a bit and report back.
    02-01-2012 11:45 AM
    This is the first thing I noticed when I got my 4s which is my first iPhone because I was worried about my data plan but when the phones sleeping it isn't eating away at the 3G data I'm on wifi at home and work every week and it will switch to wifi as soon as u unlock the phone
    02-01-2012 12:38 PM
    ok, i'm thoroughly confused about how the wifi is supposed to function on the iPhone at this point !!

In my house, we have 2 iP4's and 2 iP4S's--all set to hook into wifi when within range of our home. Now i'm usually home all day long, and i do notice that when i wake my screen up from using the top right sleep button, for a second or so i'll see the 3G symbol, but it quickly switches to the wifi symbol.

3 of our iphones have the unlimited data plan grandfathered in, but one of the 4S's on the other hand doesnt--its on 2G data plan. Now, i bring up this point because, that one 4S thats limited on 2G's of data, behaves the same way with the wifi "flickering" but the usage is never more than 1/4th or 1/5th of 1G of data, so i know the wifi is working correctly on not eating up data with the 3G when it flashes for the second. (even myself being hookled into wifi constantly i use MAYBE a 1/4th of a gig every month--and i have unltd.)

SO if it wasnt working properly i would think that data usage for that one phone would be alot more, no ?

I was always under the understanding that its suppose to 'flicker' like that when you wake the phone up. i'm really confused on this now, lol.
    02-01-2012 12:52 PM
    Okay, left my phone off for a good while not streaming anything, turned it on and never saw the 3G logo at all. Always WiFi from the moment the screen is on. That's all I know.
    02-01-2012 01:51 PM
    Once I turn the phone off it fixes itself and stays on wifi afte going to sleep. I have had my 4s since release and just noticed it the last couple of weeks.
    02-01-2012 02:13 PM
    mine does this also, when i turn it off for a bit it will say 3g then connect before i have unlocked my screen. I know this is a slight issue b/c i was at a place with public wifi that you have to accept their policies before you can get on the web. well when my phone was streaming or on it stayed connected. when i turned it off i would have to resubmit the acknowledgement for their policies. a minor glitch i have just dealt with
    02-01-2012 02:52 PM
    I wasn't aware that was an issue, I assumed it was normal...[snipped]
    Ditto. I thought it was normal, too. It doesn't hinder my use, whether via 3G or WiFi, and the reconnect is like a fraction of a second. As for as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue.

Just Me, D
    02-01-2012 02:59 PM
    Ditto. I thought it was normal, too. It doesn't hinder my use, whether via 3G or WiFi, and the reconnect is like a fraction of a second. As for as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue.

Just Me, D
    same here. i was under the impression that its the way its suppose to work. Mine also re-connects in a second or less, so its a non issue here as well, and as far as one of our 4S's only having the 2gig data plan, it has not been affected as far as data use either because of this 'flickering' with the wifi/3G.

So it is what it is at this point
    02-01-2012 04:04 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD