Switching To 3G when Screen Locks

mjsavage

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
When I lock the screen the phone turns over to 3G then when unlock the screen it connects back to Wi-Fi. Is anyone having this same issue and knows how to correct? If I turn the phone off then back on it will correct itself but will devert back in a couple of days. Any help would be appreciated.

mjsavage

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
It is my home network that has the problem. I have not been on another connection long enough to notice anything. It isnt a huge issue just know that 3g takes up more battery than wi-fi.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't aware that was an issue, I assumed it was normal...I've had several different iPhones and they all do that

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, that's odd...it kicks back to wifi as soon as the screen is unlocked so it's not a big deal to me. Like I said, I've had several iPhones myself and my wife has had two...all do the same thing. My mother has one and hers does the same, as does mine when I'm on her wifi.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hmm, that's odd...it kicks back to wifi as soon as the screen is unlocked so it's not a big deal to me. Like I said, I've had several iPhones myself and my wife has had two...all do the same thing. My mother has one and hers does the same, as does mine when I'm on her wifi.

That could be disastrous for those who are limited with 3G data, especially while streaming Sirius radio, Pandora, etc... That would mean any data that is coming thru while the phone is in sleep mode is using it and not WiFi. That's not right.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Well some of those people in that thread are not correct. It is supposed to stay connected. It's no different with say an iPad. If you have a WiFi only iPad you get alerts and emails while it is in sleep mode no? You should because the WiFi stays on.

And for the record I just tested it the past hour while streaming Sirius and getting emails. I checked the data usage via AT&T's web site to track my data usage before and after the hour. Did not increase one bit. Now if WiFi was disabled it would obviously have increased.

Last edited:

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
It does stay connected from what I read, just goes dormant...if it really disconnected then it would take longer than a split second to reconnect every time I unlock the phone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I thought it went to sleep after like 10 minutes or so?

With no use what so ever it's possible but if I leave my phone along for hours while connected to WiFi and turn it on, I do not see the 3G logo. Right away I see the WiFi logo. I don't see it switch like the OP reports.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I see the 3G symbol if I let it sleep, I don't stream data or anything while it sleeps...if I sit it down, it's in theory doing nothing at all so it makes sense to me that I would briefly see the 3G symbol.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I see the 3G symbol if I let it sleep, I don't stream data or anything while it sleeps...if I sit it down, it's in theory doing nothing at all so it makes sense to me that I would briefly see the 3G symbol.

I'll stop streaming and leave it for a bit and report back.

Moneymiike420

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
This is the first thing I noticed when I got my 4s which is my first iPhone because I was worried about my data plan but when the phones sleeping it isn't eating away at the 3G data I'm on wifi at home and work every week and it will switch to wifi as soon as u unlock the phone

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
ok, i'm thoroughly confused about how the wifi is supposed to function on the iPhone at this point !!

In my house, we have 2 iP4's and 2 iP4S's--all set to hook into wifi when within range of our home. Now i'm usually home all day long, and i do notice that when i wake my screen up from using the top right sleep button, for a second or so i'll see the 3G symbol, but it quickly switches to the wifi symbol.

3 of our iphones have the unlimited data plan grandfathered in, but one of the 4S's on the other hand doesnt--its on 2G data plan. Now, i bring up this point because, that one 4S thats limited on 2G's of data, behaves the same way with the wifi "flickering" but the usage is never more than 1/4th or 1/5th of 1G of data, so i know the wifi is working correctly on not eating up data with the 3G when it flashes for the second. (even myself being hookled into wifi constantly i use MAYBE a 1/4th of a gig every month--and i have unltd.)

SO if it wasnt working properly i would think that data usage for that one phone would be alot more, no ? :confused:

I was always under the understanding that its suppose to 'flicker' like that when you wake the phone up. i'm really confused on this now, lol.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR