How come sometimes when you pull up the local weather on your phone sometimes it says your in a different location/town then you really are? It usually is pretty accurate but sometimes it's wrong. Anyone know or have seen this?
    01-31-2012 11:06 AM
    Yes, it has happened to me on occasion whether it was with a device by Android, iOS or Blackberry. Why does it occur? I can only speculate.

Just Me, D
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 01-31-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    01-31-2012 12:35 PM
    It could be the GPS accuracy and where the nearest weather station is. Mine is like that. It shows the city next to where I'm at. I just assume that the app is pulling the weather information from the closest/nearest weather station which is probably in the city it's showing.
    01-31-2012 12:37 PM
    How come sometimes when you pull up the local weather on your phone sometimes it says your in a different location/town then you really are? It usually is pretty accurate but sometimes it's wrong. Anyone know or have seen this?
    Probably because the the wifi access point your iPhone is using to get location at the time has had it's location recorded at a previous location and has since moved some where else. This is of course assuming the device is at the time you are looking not using GPS because it can't get a signal etc.
    Last edited by sting7k; 01-31-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    01-31-2012 01:03 PM
    Must be lightsquared doing more testing.
    kch50428 likes this.
    01-31-2012 01:29 PM
    IF your weather app is set to always show weather for your current location, and your phone doesn't know for sure where it is, the weather app will show conditions from where your phone thinks it is, or where it last knew where it was.

As to why this happens... we've discussed that in another thread you started - and the reasons are the same.
    01-31-2012 01:36 PM
    and sometimes it shows previous days like if its monday it might show last saturday for a couple seconds until i close the app out and start over then its right
    01-31-2012 03:53 PM
    and sometimes it shows previous days like if its monday it might show last saturday for a couple seconds until i close the app out and start over then its right
    If you are referring to the native weather app, then yes i have seen this. if you open it up you should see that it is powered by yahoo. On my laptop my start page is my.yahoo and the widget there is sometimes in-accurate and i refresh to get it corrected. Same on my phone.
    01-31-2012 05:01 PM
    I have also has issues with my weather app, when I use it on the NC widget. The sun is out and my widget shows that it's night time.
    01-31-2012 05:12 PM
    so its probably yahoo/the app and its not the phone? haha
    01-31-2012 05:40 PM
    so its probably yahoo/the app and its not the phone? haha
    yes... i am leaning more towards yahoo....
    01-31-2012 05:58 PM
    I have noticed the following:

On my native weather app, it shows one temp.

I had Weather Icon set to show up in my status bar, and it would never match the native weather temp. even when I selected the "override" for my location.

I've installed several custom lockscreens, which have the weather integrated and it also seem to show a different temp than my native weather temp.

On the custom LS, I've even gone into the theme and changed the yahoo/weather location to match my home zip code, which is the same as what I have for my native weather (I dont use the "use current location" for weather setting).

I've disabled the Weather Icon altogether since that one never seemed to be correct, even though it was cool having the temp and icon in the status bar.
    01-31-2012 07:02 PM
    In my experience using various weather app, Weather Underground is the most accurate since it gives you the current conditions in your neighborhood.

You select the neighborhood weather station close to your location. At lot more accurate than get the current conditions at the airport, which may be miles away. Of course this also depends on how attentive the operator of the weather station is.

My experience is that Yahoo, as it's source of weather info is not accurate.

Give the Weather Underground app a go. It's free.

Good Luck
    01-31-2012 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD