Lost Sound Issues

Happy_Coal8

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting problem the sound on my 4s isnt working properly. I can go into settings and play with the ringer volume and the phone makes noise but when im on the home screen when i press either of the volume buttons it shows no bars and wont move i have the sound up in the settings anyway i set a timer and it made noise but i cant get any sound from inside apps or clicks from the keyboards its just really strange and im not sure how to fix it. sorry if this is something easy but im still trying to get used to this thing since leaving my pre.

Happy_Coal8

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
now if im in an app for a couple min. the sound will suddenly come back on but if i exit the app and then go right back to it the sound is gone again

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
This may sound really obvious but you didn't flip the switch on the upper left hand corner of the device did you? From what you describe it sounds like you did.

Happy_Coal8

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
This may sound really obvious but you didn't flip the switch on the upper left hand corner of the device did you? From what you describe it sounds like you did.

Thanks but ive played all around with the vibrate switch ive tried turning the phone on and off. with the switch forward (towards the screen) i press the volume up button and it shows no bars but it wont let it go. like i said i can go into settings and play with the ringer volume and it will make noise but out of settings the phone thinks the volume is all the way down.

DZD

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Try plugging in the headset and use the volume buttons on it - see if the volume increases on the screen. Maybe your buttons are not working for whatever reason.

If that works, try resetting and/or restoring.

If that doesn't work - time to visit the bar - the Genius Bar.

Let us know how it goes.

Happy_Coal8

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Try plugging in the headset and use the volume buttons on it - see if the volume increases on the screen. Maybe your buttons are not working for whatever reason.

If that works, try resetting and/or restoring.

If that doesn't work - time to visit the bar - the Genius Bar.

Let us know how it goes.

when i use head phones I can change the headphone volume and i can hear everything. The nearest apple store is an hour away from me. do you think that a verizon store would be able to help me out at all?

DZD

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
when i use head phones I can change the headphone volume and i can hear everything. The nearest apple store is an hour away from me. do you think that a verizon store would be able to help me out at all?

If you bought it from them fairly recently they may replace it - I'd call them first. It sounds like a hardware issue (volume button) - have you already tried a reset or a restore?

Happy_Coal8

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Just thought i would update. sometimes now i can see the ringer volume all the way up but then i hit the button again and it goes back to nothing. Anyway i took it to the verizon store and Apple is going to send me a new one in a couple of days so im happy. not a big deal living without sound for a week. plus i lose the scratch i put on it before i got my case. So this problem was really a win for me. for anyone else with this problem it seems to be something covered by manufacturer warranty.

Happy_Coal8

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Ya I'm sure it woulda been easier if there were an apple store here but my closest apple store is an hour away. So it's cheaper to wait 5 days rather than spending the money driving that far. And my ringer still works so it's no that bad living with the other missing sounds

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my iPhone 4s. I had problems with the sound in the speaker for the earpiece. I could hardly hear anyone if they called. It kept getting lower and lower to a point where you could barely hear anyone when they called. I made an appt with the genius bar at the APPLE STORE in Indianapolis. I had to drive almost 100 miles each way. It was worth it. Exchanged the phone and I am very happy the way they handled the whole thing.

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Another obvious one is, on the sounds menu. Did you switch the "Change with buttons" switch from On to Off, on the Ringers and Alerts part. See if that helps. Could be wrong? YA NEVER KNOW!