iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone 4S Buggy?

doubleaa25

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I bought an iPhone 4S only a couple of weeks ago and I am already experiencing issues. I thought they were bugs that were only in iOS 5, but when I updated to iOS 5.0.1, they persisted, and I would like to share with you guys to see if these are bugs or problems based on my settings.

The first potential bug comes with when I sync my music. Everytime I sync, my phone gets a box that pops up stating that "xx items could not be synced onto your device. See iTunes for more information." However, when I look at iTunes, no errors pop up there. Is that a bug or is that an actual problem?

The second potential bug was with my "Other" file size. Everytime I sync, it keeps on growing larger, and larger, and larger, to a point where the "Other" category in iTunes shows that I am taking at least 3 GB of space. I read a way in fixing this, which required that I download a program called "DiskAid," navigating to a folder, and deleting any duplicates that show. However, this method failed me because I did not see any duplicate file names.

So, are these bugs, or something I can fix easily? I have restored multiple times and it does not seem to fix the problem.

Thanks for the help!

MacRulez4Ever

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I think My voicecontrol ( not Siri ) has ****ed upp after update to 5.0.1

No matter What i say the answer i get is "no music" :(

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

krs7272#AC

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Items can not be synced is most likely songs that iTunes can't locate like the files have changed locations.

Also I know that iTunes will report different available space sometimes before and after your sync. Usually I notice the correct readings after

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

doubleaa25

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you should both try a restore

I have done a restore multiple times and it has not fixed the issue

Items can not be synced is most likely songs that iTunes can't locate like the files have changed locations.

Also I know that iTunes will report different available space sometimes before and after your sync. Usually I notice the correct readings after

I have all my iTunes songs all in one location, managed by iTunes. I check to see if there are any exclamation marks by my songs and there are none.

Usually before the sync the "Other" category is small. It grows after I sync...

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I recently returned my 4s to my local Apple store because of the constant crashing i was experiencing on both 5.0 & 5.0.1

I did a clean restore on my new 4s and im still experiencing a very buggy os. Never has it felt this bad( ive had a 3g, 3gs & 4 in the past)

I get the daily message app crash while forwarding a text. Doesnt matter if its via iMessage or regular message.

Random crashing: Jetpack Joyride,youtube app, Anomya (sp app as well

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
i've gotten the first "bug" multiple times when importing music from a folder directly to the phone. but if i drop the music into an itunes playlist, then drag it to the phone, then everything works fine.

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The only change I've experienced since upgrading to iOS 5.0.1 is decreased battery life. Everything else seems to be working okay

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

I bought an iPhone 4S only a couple of weeks ago and I am already experiencing issues. I thought they were bugs that were only in iOS 5, but when I updated to iOS 5.0.1, they persisted, and I would like to share with you guys to see if these are bugs or problems based on my settings.

The first potential bug comes with when I sync my music. Everytime I sync, my phone gets a box that pops up stating that "xx items could not be synced onto your device. See iTunes for more information." However, when I look at iTunes, no errors pop up there. Is that a bug or is that an actual problem?

The second potential bug was with my "Other" file size. Everytime I sync, it keeps on growing larger, and larger, and larger, to a point where the "Other" category in iTunes shows that I am taking at least 3 GB of space. I read a way in fixing this, which required that I download a program called "DiskAid," navigating to a folder, and deleting any duplicates that show. However, this method failed me because I did not see any duplicate file names.

So, are these bugs, or something I can fix easily? I have restored multiple times and it does not seem to fix the problem.

Thanks for the help!

i had the OTHER file issue as well. Today i did the steps you did except i completly deleted what was in that folder using diskaid(again deleted it all) then synced my phone with no music selected to remove all music. Then reset phone and resynced music and other file space was all good again.

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It seems as though ios5 in general is a real drag on all devices. My wife's pristine iphone4 (now on ios5) is limping along. When she hits the messaging app, it takes upwards of 4 seconds to open the app.

I even took my 2nd gen 3GS out of my desk and loaded 5.0.1 last weekend. It's almost unusable.

Maybe Apple is too worried about closing the jailbreaking loopholes (apt ticket, sandbox). When tey should be focusing on fine tuning their heavy os's.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It seems as though ios5 in general is a real drag on all devices. My wife's pristine iphone4 (now on ios5) is limping along. When she hits the messaging app, it takes upwards of 4 seconds to open the app.

I even took my 2nd gen 3GS out of my desk and loaded 5.0.1 last weekend. It's almost unusable.

Maybe Apple is too worried about closing the jailbreaking loopholes (apt ticket, sandbox). When tey should be focusing on fine tuning their heavy os's.

There is a lot going on in the OS. The 3GS should never have got the update. Way too much lag there. The i4 running A4 chip can be a little laggy but usually ok. It only seems to run very smooth on 4S.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
There is a lot going on in the OS. The 3GS should never have got the update. Way too much lag there. The i4 running A4 chip can be a little laggy but usually ok. It only seems to run very smooth on 4S.

I'll say. I used iOS 5 from the first week of October on my i4. It worked fine. When I got a 4S on December 30th, the improved performance was very noticeable.

doubleaa25

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
i had the OTHER file issue as well. Today i did the steps you did except i completly deleted what was in that folder using diskaid(again deleted it all) then synced my phone with no music selected to remove all music. Then reset phone and resynced music and other file space was all good again.

Hmm, Ill try that. Thanks for the tip!

I think all in all iOS 5 is a big let down. No wonder iOS 5.1 is all bug fixes. It might solve the lagginess issues on the older phones as well.

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, are you talking bad as in 4G bad?

Here is a example:

Take it off charger @ 530am
Battery is 96-100%
Put phone in my bag
Drive 1h20m to job
(never touching phone in my bag)
Arrive at job
Battery is at 82%

Since I got my new 4s (last week), I changed my email setting to push hourly.
That has changed nothing. That was the Apple store guy's idea.

Just typing this response my battery went from 81% to 78%

w00dy

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm beginning to think that buried somewhere in my backups, there is something left behind that is the culprit behind my battery issue. Similiar to the jb tweak that enables battery percentage and how that tweak can remain in ones backup even after getting a new device.

Currently I can NOT turn off my batter percentage.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm beginning to think that buried somewhere in my backups, there is something left behind that is the culprit behind my battery issue. Similiar to the jb tweak that enables battery percentage and how that tweak can remain in ones backup even after getting a new device.

Currently I can NOT turn off my batter percentage.

I would totally believe that. I previously had a tethered jailbroken iPhone 4 with 5.0. When I got my iPhone 4S and restored from backup, I had some strange issues. Restoring as a new iPhone and piecing things back together (annoying) fixed things. There was an issue I had where my existing contacts wouldn't modify!

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Here is a example:

Take it off charger @ 530am
Battery is 96-100%
Put phone in my bag
Drive 1h20m to job
(never touching phone in my bag)
Arrive at job
Battery is at 82%

Since I got my new 4s (last week), I changed my email setting to push hourly.
That has changed nothing. That was the Apple store guy's idea.

Just typing this response my battery went from 81% to 78%

Ahhh, yeah that is pretty bad. I expect that from a 4G phone (although my Nexus doesn't drain even that fast when it's idle on 4G), but my 4S isn't any worse than my 4 was. I wonder what kind of issue would make it drain that bad. That's pretty terrible.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal