Anyone get Verizon to unlock 4S?

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I just received a promotion to a job where I will travel and requires me to carry a company smartphone. Lucky for me starting 2/1/12, my company will give me the option to either receive a free Blackberry paid by the company or get $90 a month towards my personal phone. At first this was a no brainer but I'm waiting to hear back on if I will definitely be able to expense the higher voice and data charges when I travel internationally. I'm sure that they will cover the added expense but just in case they don't and I have to pay I really would love to have my 4S unlocked so I can use a local prepaid SIM.

So as the title says, anyone get Verizon to unlock their 4S?

PS I'm a little surprised no one has asked this yet. I did search and didn't find this so if it was asked, I apologize.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Be aware that your roaming data charges can easily top $1k a month for typical users overseas. You need to understand this when you travel even if your company will pay the bill.

asggold

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I just received a promotion to a job where I will travel and requires me to carry a company smartphone. Lucky for me starting 2/1/12, my company will give me the option to either receive a free Blackberry paid by the company or get $90 a month towards my personal phone. At first this was a no brainer but I'm waiting to hear back on if I will definitely be able to expense the higher voice and data charges when I travel internationally. I'm sure that they will cover the added expense but just in case they don't and I have to pay I really would love to have my 4S unlocked so I can use a local prepaid SIM.

So as the title says, anyone get Verizon to unlock their 4S?

PS I'm a little surprised no one has asked this yet. I did search and didn't find this so if it was asked, I apologize.

I actually called Verizon and had this done yesterday. It only took about 10 minutes (once they transferred me to the correct person). The main thing is that this will ONLY work for companies not in the US and when you are calling/connecting through a GSM network. The rep I spoke with did not really ask anything other then what email to send the Terms and Conditions to. From there they just checked to see that I had been a customer for over 60 days with good standing.

On a side note, I did see another conversation somewhere about this and you might want to look at a SIM card called TRU? From the research I did yesterday it seems you can use that card locally in most countries instead of getting a different one for each country you go to. Some of the rates I checked on their site seems good, others were more expensive then using through Verizon (for the data). I don't know what the ratings are on the card but it seemed to be a good idea. I believe the card itself was only $29.00.

Reactions: j7469

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
You can get a prepaid SIM from 3UK mobile for ?15 = $25 a month 300 mins 1500 text (non international) and unlimited data - in the UK - was there last Oct-Nov - hope this helps too

nycfly

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
its very easy to unlock a phone by calling verizon's global department. i have done this for both my blackberry and my new iphone 4s!

just call 1-800-711-8300. this is verizon's global department. just say you want to unlock your phone to use your own foreign sim card. unlocking this ONLY UNLOCKS YOUR PHONE FOR INTERNATIONAL SIMS. for me this whole process took less than 5 minutes.

you need to meet these requirements:
have only requested 1 sim unlock in the last 10 months
your line has been in service for at least 60 days
your account needs to be in good standing for the past 60 days

once it is unlocked, just pop in your foreign sim card and follow the unlock process on itunes. if you dont have one available, dont worry. once you get abroad and use the phone you can unlock it via itunes then. you're good to go!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2