Hello everyone. I searched the forum prior to posting & didn't see any previous threads. I've been an Android user for quite some time. I had an OG Droid, a Fascinate, a Charge & the Nexus. I just returned my Galaxy Nexus today. It's a lovely little experiment, but it's not for me. I'm seriously considering a 4s on Verizon as my next phone. I initially passed on the 4s because I wanted a larger screen & LTE. I was quite bummed when Apple didn't provide either.

I think I'm over wanting a large screen. Being able to use a phone with one hand is becoming more appealing for me. The only feature I will miss from Android is its turn by turn navigation. Hopefully there an app for that. Lol.

My question is has anyone gone from an LTE phone to the 4s? I'm wondering if network speed is going to be an issue for me. I don't do Netflix, but I do hit up Youtube often & stream Pandora or Slacker.

I am also wondering if the 4s can do voice and data simultaneously? Thank you.
    01-14-2012 06:19 PM
    Before purchasing my iPhone 4S, I had an EVO 4G and I used 4G speeds almost daily. I, too, was concerned about Internet speeds prior to switching to my 4S on the Verizon network, but as soon as I got it, those fears were quickly vanquished. 3G speed on Verizon's network, at least here in Central Florida, is superbly fast. It is fast enough to where I don't miss using 4G or even think about it and I'll argue that you may feel the sane way in regard to LTE.
    01-14-2012 06:28 PM
    Slacker and pandora are just fine

I suggest Tom Tom for navigation it's like a one time fee of 40 and the maps are stored on device so you don't need a data connection for it to work.

I have owned a few android phones and still think the 4s is better. In the end of the day you have to choose which phone you like but I really enjoy the 4s

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    01-14-2012 06:59 PM
    The only feature I will miss from Android is its turn by turn navigation. Hopefully there an app for that. Lol.
    There are lots of apps for that... I'm partial to Navigon.

My question is has anyone gone from an LTE phone to the 4s? I'm wondering if network speed is going to be an issue for me. I don't do Netflix, but I do hit up Youtube often & stream Pandora or Slacker.

I am also wondering if the 4s can do voice and data simultaneously? Thank you.
    3G should be fine for Slacker/Pandora, etc. Youtube might buffer occasionally if watching a really long clip... talk&surf - if on 3G you have to be on AT&T/GSM - as CDMA(Verizon/Sprint) can't do talk&surf over 3G - but if you're on Wifi for data - talk & surf works fine.
    Last edited by kch50428; 01-14-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    01-14-2012 07:04 PM
    I have skobbler for my turn by turn gps and the limitations of CDMA was already stated previously above
    01-14-2012 07:08 PM
    I appreciate the feedback. I too thought that only GSM phones can do voice & data at the same time. It appears the HTC Rezound is able to just that on Verizon. Something about antenna design.

Lol. My Fascinate was so 6 months ago & I cannot remember if I had any data speed issues.
    01-14-2012 07:19 PM
    But any 4G LTE VZW device is GSM for data and CDMA / 3G for voice I believe
    01-14-2012 07:54 PM
    But any 4G LTE VZW device is GSM for data and CDMA / 3G for voice I believe
    The Rezound can do it on 3G only. No matter. It's not a deal breaker by any means.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    01-14-2012 08:00 PM
    As for navigation, I currently use the MapQuest app. It is totally free and has turn by turn 'voice' navigation and it has yet to lead me wrong. As for simultaneous voice and data on Verizon's network, no, it's not possible, however, if you're connected via wifi then you can have simultaneous voice and data.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 01-14-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    01-14-2012 08:03 PM
    CDMA is not capable of this and if you google about this, it only works when connected to 4G area
    01-14-2012 08:03 PM
    CDMA is not capable of this and if you google about this, it only works when connected to 4G area
    The Rezound can do it over 3G. I'd love to provide a link but I do not have enough posts to do so.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lodingi; 01-14-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    01-14-2012 08:53 PM
    I use Waze for GPS. It's free and I like it a lot. It gives traffic reports around you.
    I switched from the Droid Charge to the iPhone 4 and then to the iPhone 4s. I don't miss the 4g. I love my 4s. Everthything about it is much smoother.
    01-14-2012 10:03 PM
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to research all your suggestions. As soon as Verizon resets my upgrade, I'm going to jump into iOS.
    01-15-2012 08:40 AM
    i had the droid charge prior to my 4s. the 4s is just better.. i have the unlimited data plan and the only time i miss the 4g lte is when watching youtube(buffers depending on the video) and the talking and surfing at the same time( after a phone call there is a moment right after when i cant surf ie.facebook usually a couple seconds) . netflix never has a problem.
    01-16-2012 03:53 PM

I use Sirius all day at work off wifi and it works great.

I also use the map app already included on the phone for directions.
    01-17-2012 10:53 AM
    Technically incorrect. In EVDO markets that is the case. However, Verizon has enabled SVDO (Simultaneous Voice & Data Optimized) in several markets and the HTC ThunderBolt was the first device with a chip capable of using that standard. To my knowledge, other HTC 4G/LTE devices also have that ability. In all cases, it has not been touted because not every device can use it, and I believe at the time, VZW wasn't 100% sure how well it would work in practical application.

To the OP, I have spent the better part of the past year between an iPhone 4, Pre2, HTC ThunderBolt, Motorola Droid X, Droid RAZR and several BlackBerry devices. I now have the iPhone 4S. I don't miss the 4G/LTE so much. I do miss the 4 inch screen, which surprised me a bit, and the fact that some of the iOS tiles are not "live". The only other deficiency I'll argue is that notifications, while greatly improved in iOS 5, are not as well executed as in Android or BlackBerry.

Other than that, everything works pretty well. The size isn't too small, I've been able to stream Netflix on 3G with no real problems. Have fun with it.

edit to add: here's a semi-techie article about the SVDO rollout last year, neat stuff: thecellphonejunkie.com/2011/01/31/verizon-launching-simultaneous-voice-and-data-over-cdma1x-advanced-svdo-network-soon/ (sorry, don't have 10 posts here to make it a hyperlink).
    Last edited by Gawain; 01-17-2012 at 11:19 PM.
    01-17-2012 11:13 PM
    Technically incorrect. In EVDO markets that is the case. However, Verizon has enabled SVDO (Simultaneous Voice & Data Optimized) in several markets and the HTC ThunderBolt was the first device with a chip capable of using that standard. To my knowledge, other HTC 4G/LTE devices also have that ability. In all cases, it has not been touted because not every device can use it, and I believe at the time, VZW wasn't 100% sure how well it would work in practical application.

To the OP, I have spent the better part of the past year between an iPhone 4, Pre2, HTC ThunderBolt, Motorola Droid X, Droid RAZR and several BlackBerry devices. I now have the iPhone 4S. I don't miss the 4G/LTE so much. I do miss the 4 inch screen, which surprised me a bit, and the fact that some of the iOS tiles are not "live". The only other deficiency I'll argue is that notifications, while greatly improved in iOS 5, are not as well executed as in Android or BlackBerry.

Other than that, everything works pretty well. The size isn't too small, I've been able to stream Netflix on 3G with no real problems. Have fun with it.

edit to add: here's a semi-techie article about the SVDO rollout last year, neat stuff: thecellphonejunkie.com/2011/01/31/verizon-launching-simultaneous-voice-and-data-over-cdma1x-advanced-svdo-network-soon/ (sorry, don't have 10 posts here to make it a hyperlink).
    Well the new CDMA I could have been wrong about BUT 4G/LTE is GSM on VZW like it is on AT&T just some FYI
    01-17-2012 11:23 PM
    Well the new CDMA I could have been wrong about BUT 4G/LTE is GSM on VZW like it is on AT&T just some FYI
    Great...I wasn't talking about LTE. The reason why you can do voice and data with VZWs LTE is because the voice is still carried on the CDMA network. VZW isn't running VoLTE...yet.
    01-18-2012 01:11 AM
    Right it's not, that's why it for the most part is in 4G areas - wonder if the new CDMA rollout is only in 4T areas - would make sense
    01-18-2012 01:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD