Hi everyone !! I'm a previous blackberry user (no pot shots please) and switched to the iPhone4S on 11/4. It just dawned on me today that since having my iPhone, I've only rebooted my device once in December because it froze for a moment on me. Prior to and after that, its been fine.

So, with that being said for previously having a blackberry i was in the habit of rebooting my bb every other day or sometimes everyday because of memory leaks, plus i'd reboot everytime after installing/or changing to a new theme.

My question(s) to you guys are:

1) do you reboot your iPhone just as routine to keep it fresh - once a week? once a month? never? only when needed(ie.freezing up)? only after an iOS update?

2) do you reboot after installing an app ever?

I'm just curious on what you do/don't do. I've had the iPad1 since it came out, and since having it, i think i've had to reboot it a whole 4 or 5 times, so thats why i'm curious--is a reboot something i should be doing more routinely on either or both of my iDevices?

i know i've been on the board here for a few months now, but hey, better to ask later than never, right?
    01-10-2012 05:11 PM
    I respring (which is basically just restarting the Springboard) far more often than I reboot--some Cydia apps require it on installation, and it's needed to apply theme changes in Winterboard. I rarely reboot my entire device unless I'm manually installing a .deb file for an app.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    01-10-2012 05:37 PM
    Only ever reboot when the device freezes or an app crashes constantly
    01-10-2012 05:40 PM
    I only reboot when i experience freezing or app crashing problems.
    01-10-2012 05:45 PM
    I respring (which is basically just restarting the Springboard) far more often than I reboot--some Cydia apps require it on installation, and it's needed to apply theme changes in Winterboard. I rarely reboot my entire device unless I'm manually installing a .deb file for an app.
    ok, whats the difference between a respring and reboot? i've never heard of a respring, lol.
    01-10-2012 05:47 PM
    Respring is something that mostly happens with jailbroken devices. Every now and then it will respring if an app crashes it. I reboot about once every few weeks just because.
    01-10-2012 06:22 PM
    Thx Massie, Cleveland, spinecho and ghostface for your input. I'd still like to hear other opinions as well too.

I actually have considered doing a "maintenance reboot" once monthly just for the sake of refreshing my iPhone. I know it's not something that the iPhone is required to have done (at least that's what I've understood in the past) but it couldn't do any harm either, and I was interested in opinions of you guys here to see what the consensus says.
    01-10-2012 06:41 PM
    I try to reboot my phone at least once a week. At times I go longer but never more than a month. The reboot keeps the phone "refreshed" and in peak working condition. This may keep negative conditions from arising however, that's strictly speculation. I do this on my iPads, computers etc. My logic behind this is, rebooting a device does zero harm. It only costs you a few seconds while the device restarts.

So, I am a big believer in that, you should reboot your device with some regularity, but I am sure a case could be made as to why it isn't necessary...
    01-10-2012 08:14 PM
    How do you do a reboot??
    01-10-2012 08:42 PM
    How do you do a reboot??
    Hold the Home button and the Wake/Sleep button at the same time until you see the Apple logo.
    RHnsly88 likes this.
    01-10-2012 08:58 PM
    I try to reboot my phone at least once a week. At times I go longer but never more than a month. The reboot keeps the phone "refreshed" and in peak working condition. This may keep negative conditions from arising however, that's strictly speculation. I do this on my iPads, computers etc. My logic behind this is, rebooting a device does zero harm. It only costs you a few seconds while the device restarts.

So, I am a big believer in that, you should reboot your device with some regularity, but I am sure a case could be made as to why it isn't necessary...
    Thx for your input Adawg. Your right when saying it does only take a few moments for a reboot and that it could do no harm--if anything it will keep the device 'fresh' so I'm going to set a date for a monthly reboot for mine

now, as for why it wouldnt be necessary, i'm sure alot of speculation could be made on that side of the fence as well but i'm not concerned with that
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    01-11-2012 08:37 AM
    I do an actual hard reboot like once a week just for the heck of it. But that's pretty much it.
    01-11-2012 04:23 PM
    I do an actual hard reboot like once a week just for the heck of it. But that's pretty much it.
    Thx forever I've set a schedule thru my calendar to alert me every month for a reboot. I can always change that and make it bi-weekly or more etc. if I change my mind to do then more often
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    01-12-2012 11:23 AM
    Haha, as a former 9700 user/CrackBerry visitor, I love the "BlackBerry-ness" of this thread.

"So you mean I don't have to do ___________ anymore?!"

"Wait, so you don't have to periodically rip the battery out of the device to get it to work again?"

Haha, I hear ya, man.
    01-12-2012 02:31 PM
    what is the difference and steps between a reboot (off key/home button) and a hard resent? how do you do a hard reset and what, if any, are the ramifications?
    01-12-2012 02:48 PM
    1)No regular intervals just when I feel the phone might not be running that great so resetting it will ease my mind.

2) Never.
    01-12-2012 03:39 PM
    what is the difference and steps between a reboot (off key/home button) and a hard resent? how do you do a hard reset and what, if any, are the ramifications?
    Rock, if I'm not mistaken, a reboot or hard reset are both the same--just different terms used (off key/home button)

1)No regular intervals just when I feel the phone might not be running that great so resetting it will ease my mind.

2) Never.
    Thanks for your input sting !!
    01-12-2012 05:36 PM
    Haha, as a former 9700 user/CrackBerry visitor, I love the "BlackBerry-ness" of this thread.

"So you mean I don't have to do ___________ anymore?!"

"Wait, so you don't have to periodically rip the battery out of the device to get it to work again?"

Haha, I hear ya, man.
    oh trust me I DON'T miss those batt pulls or 3 finger salutes everyday or the required reboot after installing an app or changing themes at all

I'll take a monthly reboot "just because" over battery pulls everyday any day, lol.

ps. I'm a she, not he
    01-12-2012 05:41 PM
    ps. I'm a she, not he
    pics, or it didn't happen/

anyways, when i am stock i'll reboot about once a week and when i am jailbroken i'll reboot about 2-3 times a week

respring while jailbroken quite a bit. it's just part of the process
    01-12-2012 05:54 PM
    pics, or it didn't happen/

anyways, when i am stock i'll reboot about once a week and when i am jailbroken i'll reboot about 2-3 times a week

respring while jailbroken quite a bit. it's just part of the process
    I don't post pix of myself on blogs. Nice try

Why is it on JB you'll reboot 2-3times a week than when your not JB? I don't understand the reasoning in that one.
    01-12-2012 06:08 PM
    I don't post pix of myself on blogs. Nice try
    oh, sorry bro..

Why is it on JB you'll reboot 2-3times a week than when your not JB? I don't understand the reasoning in that one.
    it's a personal preference. for me it's like starting fresh in case i have anything that isn't running properly. sometimes i get tired of jailbreaking, tbh
    01-12-2012 07:21 PM
    it's a personal preference. for me it's like starting fresh in case i have anything that isn't running properly. sometimes i get tired of jailbreaking, tbh
    Ok, gotcha.

(I'm still a she)
    Last edited by Pink; 01-12-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    01-12-2012 08:42 PM
    I never ever reboot, the only times when my iPhone reboots is when it reboots itself.
    01-14-2012 12:39 AM
    I never ever reboot, the only times when my iPhone reboots is when it reboots itself.
    I know this may be a stuuuuuuuupid question, but your OK with that when your phone decides to just reboot itself ???? I don't get that one.......
    01-14-2012 06:13 PM
    I don't get it either lol
    01-14-2012 07:57 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD