Routine Reboots

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
:)Hi everyone !! I'm a previous blackberry user (no pot shots please:p) and switched to the iPhone4S on 11/4. It just dawned on me today that since having my iPhone, I've only rebooted my device once in December because it froze for a moment on me. Prior to and after that, its been fine.

So, with that being said for previously having a blackberry i was in the habit of rebooting my bb every other day or sometimes everyday because of memory leaks, plus i'd reboot everytime after installing/or changing to a new theme.

My question(s) to you guys are:

1) do you reboot your iPhone just as routine to keep it fresh - once a week? once a month? never? only when needed(ie.freezing up)? only after an iOS update?

2) do you reboot after installing an app ever?

I'm just curious on what you do/don't do. I've had the iPad1 since it came out, and since having it, i think i've had to reboot it a whole 4 or 5 times, so thats why i'm curious--is a reboot something i should be doing more routinely on either or both of my iDevices?

i know i've been on the board here for a few months now, but hey, better to ask later than never, right? :p

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I respring (which is basically just restarting the Springboard) far more often than I reboot--some Cydia apps require it on installation, and it's needed to apply theme changes in Winterboard. I rarely reboot my entire device unless I'm manually installing a .deb file for an app.

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I respring (which is basically just restarting the Springboard) far more often than I reboot--some Cydia apps require it on installation, and it's needed to apply theme changes in Winterboard. I rarely reboot my entire device unless I'm manually installing a .deb file for an app.

ok, whats the difference between a respring and reboot? i've never heard of a respring, lol.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Thx Massie, Cleveland, spinecho and ghostface for your input. I'd still like to hear other opinions as well too.

I actually have considered doing a "maintenance reboot" once monthly just for the sake of refreshing my iPhone. I know it's not something that the iPhone is required to have done (at least that's what I've understood in the past) but it couldn't do any harm either, and I was interested in opinions of you guys here to see what the consensus says. :)

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I try to reboot my phone at least once a week. At times I go longer but never more than a month. The reboot keeps the phone "refreshed" and in peak working condition. This may keep negative conditions from arising however, that's strictly speculation. I do this on my iPads, computers etc. My logic behind this is, rebooting a device does zero harm. It only costs you a few seconds while the device restarts.

So, I am a big believer in that, you should reboot your device with some regularity, but I am sure a case could be made as to why it isn't necessary...

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I try to reboot my phone at least once a week. At times I go longer but never more than a month. The reboot keeps the phone "refreshed" and in peak working condition. This may keep negative conditions from arising however, that's strictly speculation. I do this on my iPads, computers etc. My logic behind this is, rebooting a device does zero harm. It only costs you a few seconds while the device restarts.

So, I am a big believer in that, you should reboot your device with some regularity, but I am sure a case could be made as to why it isn't necessary...

Thx for your input Adawg. Your right when saying it does only take a few moments for a reboot and that it could do no harm--if anything it will keep the device 'fresh' so I'm going to set a date for a monthly reboot for mine;):)

now, as for why it wouldnt be necessary, i'm sure alot of speculation could be made on that side of the fence as well but i'm not concerned with that;)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I do an actual hard reboot like once a week just for the heck of it. But that's pretty much it.

Thx forever:) I've set a schedule thru my calendar to alert me every month for a reboot. I can always change that and make it bi-weekly or more etc. if I change my mind to do then more often;)

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Haha, as a former 9700 user/CrackBerry visitor, I love the "BlackBerry-ness" of this thread.

"So you mean I don't have to do ___________ anymore?!"

"Wait, so you don't have to periodically rip the battery out of the device to get it to work again?"

Haha, I hear ya, man.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I do an actual hard reboot like once a week just for the heck of it. But that's pretty much it.

what is the difference and steps between a reboot (off key/home button) and a hard resent? how do you do a hard reset and what, if any, are the ramifications?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
what is the difference and steps between a reboot (off key/home button) and a hard resent? how do you do a hard reset and what, if any, are the ramifications?

Rock, if I'm not mistaken, a reboot or hard reset are both the same--just different terms used:) (off key/home button)

1)No regular intervals just when I feel the phone might not be running that great so resetting it will ease my mind.

2) Never.

:)Thanks for your input sting !!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Haha, as a former 9700 user/CrackBerry visitor, I love the "BlackBerry-ness" of this thread.

"So you mean I don't have to do ___________ anymore?!"

"Wait, so you don't have to periodically rip the battery out of the device to get it to work again?"

Haha, I hear ya, man.

oh trust me I DON'T miss those batt pulls or 3 finger salutes everyday or the required reboot after installing an app or changing themes at all:p

I'll take a monthly reboot "just because" over battery pulls everyday any day, lol.

ps. I'm a she, not he:)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
pics, or it didn't happen/

anyways, when i am stock i'll reboot about once a week and when i am jailbroken i'll reboot about 2-3 times a week

respring while jailbroken quite a bit. it's just part of the process

I don't post pix of myself on blogs. Nice try:p

Why is it on JB you'll reboot 2-3times a week than when your not JB? I don't understand the reasoning in that one.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods