so i just bought apple tv and i am aware that you can stream pictures videos apps ect from your iphone directly to the tv with the apple tv device. this is where im confused. i know with the iphone 4s you can do "air play mirroring". i guess this can only be done with the iphone 4s and the ipad2. that is the difference between regular airplay and airplay mirroring? what can you do with the iphone 4s that you cant do with the regular iphone4 when using apple tv? thanks
    01-05-2012 11:19 AM
    AirPlay streams content mirroring actually mirrors your display that the diff mirroring is only on 4s and iPad 2 Other devices can not do the mirroring feature unless you JB lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    01-05-2012 12:38 PM
    I'm pretty sure airplay mirroring requires a cable to be connected to your tv set so everything you do on the iPad or iPhone is shown on the tv.
    01-05-2012 12:50 PM
    I'm pretty sure airplay mirroring requires a cable to be connected to your tv set so everything you do on the iPad or iPhone is shown on the tv.
    A wired connection only streams content, as Peligro911 stated for the ATV. The ATV can do mirroring with the iP4s/iPad2, or jailbroken idevices. I am not sure if you can 'mirror' through a tethered connection to the TV by jailbreaking... I know you can't do so without jailbreaking as I tether to my tv constantly for Netflix.
    01-05-2012 01:00 PM
    that is the difference between regular airplay and airplay mirroring?
    The difference between air play and airplay mirroring is this

AP Mirroring what is on your idevice screen is what is on your TV
    AP is streaming content only not the image from your idevice screen.

For example when I have my sirius xm app open I can have the audio stream from my iphone through ATV but I don't see the display that is on my iphone on my tv

Oh and no wires reqired, just a common wifi network
    Last edited by mlevi; 01-05-2012 at 01:29 PM.
    01-05-2012 01:26 PM
    Nope you can mirror without a cable

01-05-2012 01:31 PM
    if i shoot a video on my iphone4 can i wireless stream it to my tv?
    01-05-2012 03:25 PM
    if the iP4 is updated to iOS 5, and you have an ATV. I believe those are the requirements for airplay.
    01-05-2012 04:09 PM
    if the iP4 is updated to iOS 5, and you have an ATV. I believe those are the requirements for airplay.
    As stated above, only iPhone 4s, iPad 2 and JB devices
    01-05-2012 06:53 PM
    If you AirPlay Pandora, the music and album art will stream to ATV, but if you AirPlay mirror, you actually see the app as it is on phone. You have to upgrade ATV to the latest software for mirroring to work. Also, some wireless routers have a security feature called Wireless Isolation... If you enable it the AirPlay won't work at all.
    01-05-2012 07:56 PM
    if i shoot a video on my iphone4 can i wireless stream it to my tv?
    Simply yes

01-06-2012 12:19 AM
    As stated above, only iPhone 4s, iPad 2 and JB devices
    Are you sure? I am not trying to be arguementative, as I am not positive; but, I was under the impression that the iP4s and iPad2 were the only iDevices capable of mirroring, but any device with iOS5 could use airplay...no?
    01-06-2012 11:16 AM
    The difference between air play and airplay mirroring is this

AP Mirroring what is on your idevice screen is what is on your TV
    AP is streaming content only not the image from your idevice screen.

For example when I have my sirius xm app open I can have the audio stream from my iphone through ATV but I don't see the display that is on my iphone on my tv

Oh and no wires reqired, just a common wifi network
    If I have the HBO Go app on my Iphone 4 can I stream a movie to my ATV2 from my iphone using AirPlay or do I need the IPhone 4S and mirroring for that?
    01-08-2012 05:47 PM
    AFAIK, Airplay is enabled on any device running iOS 5.
    01-08-2012 07:36 PM
    AFAIK , the "mirror" portion is only for 4S and iPad2, I have iPad 1 and my wife has iPhone 4 and they don't mirror
    01-08-2012 09:44 PM
    Yes you can only mirror in 4S and iPad 2 and AirPlay is an iOS 5 feature I'm pretty sure
    01-09-2012 12:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD