How is Siri?

anon(4732323)

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the UK and can honestly say that I haven't been using Siri to the full capacity. The few times I have attempted to I've been met with the simple 'sorry I am unable to help you at the moment', which has been disappointing.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I asked Siri what the best tablet was and she said, "The Apple iPad 2."

I asked Siri what the second best tablet was and the screen showed, "Thinking... thinking.... Could not find an answer."

I asked Siri what the worst tablet was and she pulled up a list of non-iPad tablets in my area.

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm about half a week in and I haven't played with Siri as much as I thought I would. I LOVE the device, and think that Siri has a lot of potential, but until you really think about how to use her, you tend to forget she's there.

Siri is also "typical Apple" in that a lot of the shiniest and glossiest parts of the OS work better than you'd imagine they would, and then some basic feature is surprisingly missing. For Mail, it's "delete all" or "Mark all prior read". For Siri, it's the lack of simple commands like "Turn Bluetooth Off", or other things you would see on an SBSettings jailbreak. But I'm hopeful they'll get there eventually.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully apple open Siri up a bit more to be able to control things like wifi or Bluetooth. I'm in Australia so Siri is even more un-useful here than in America at the moment. I have her switched off and I only ever played with her for about a week before realizing she really wasn't that helpful.

Magically beamed through the internut on my LifeProof'd iPhone using Tapatalk.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've used Siri to do various things like set an alarm, appointments, searches and stuff like that, but I 'primarily' use Siri to read and reply to text messages while I'm driving.

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I like it when it works, and I think the # 1 thing that causes it to fail is your internet connection. The ideal time for me to use it is when driving to text or, rarely, call someone. Unfortunately, you're in motion and your data connection may be compromised at any second. There's actually a stretch of road that I take where Siri fails every time even though I have no issues with phone calls on that road.

What would be nice is to have the software be more independent, like with calls, texting, alarms, lists, scheduling, ect. Obviously, if you want to do a google search and other net related stuff you need a web connection.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
REF: "Can you use Siri to find a address with the map app?"

Yes, you can. I just tested it out before replying to your post. I told Siri to find a specific address and it initiated the map app with the location pin at the address I requested.

Granny Dee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Siri does math problems

The best feature so far for me is; when shopping it calculates percentages. Like 75% off of $134.95. Much better than pulling up the calculator.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
The best feature so far for me is; when shopping it calculates percentages. Like 75% off of $134.95. Much better than pulling up the calculator.

what terminology do you use? i.e., how do you say this to SIRI?

i've tried simple division problems like "what is 250 divided by 12.15" to no avail...

StormJH1

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Can you use Siri to find a address with the map app?

Yes. This is probably one of the more useful features. For example: "Get me directions to the Library", then it will search for libraries nearby or you can specify one. Not sure if you can dictate a number address like 7-1-5 Main Street, but you probably can.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(edited)... Not sure if you can dictate a number address like 7-1-5 Main Street, but you probably can.
. Yes, you can tell Siri to locate a 'specific' address. It will find the address and pinpoint it via the map app.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
ah cool.. I guess when I originally tried it i was saying "what is 35 dollars dividing by 12.5 gallons"

instead of just how much is 35 divided by 12.5

I'lll have to keep in mind the address search as well.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Can you use Siri to find a address with the map app?

You can also tell her "I'm lost" and she'll show you where you are. What's really cool is at least in my house, when I zoom in on the map, it shows me what portion of my house I'm in, whether it be the north corner or the west corner of my house. Kinda neat.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
You can also tell her "I'm lost" and she'll show you where you are. What's really cool is at least in my house, when I zoom in on the map, it shows me what portion of my house I'm in, whether it be the north corner or the west corner of my house. Kinda neat.

WoW, that is pretty neat:)

Unfortunately, i have to say that siri is a great personal assistant to have, but i don't summons on her as much as i used to when i first got my 4S. One of the main reasons for this is because when i do need to set a reminder or calendar, its usually noisy in my house (with kids whatta ya expect) and she has a hard time understanding what i'm trying to say. Usually by the 3rd time i give up and just type everything in.

I also think that i'm just so accustomed to doing things the 'old fashioned' way of typing info in, that thats usually what i automatically do out of habit.

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
WoW, that is pretty neat:)

Unfortunately, i have to say that siri is a great personal assistant to have, but i don't summons on her as much as i used to when i first got my 4S. One of the main reasons for this is because when i do need to set a reminder or calendar, its usually noisy in my house (with kids whatta ya expect) and she has a hard time understanding what i'm trying to say. Usually by the 3rd time i give up and just type everything in.

I also think that i'm just so accustomed to doing things the 'old fashioned' way of typing info in, that thats usually what i automatically do out of habit.

I agree. I have 4 that range between 7 and 5 months so unless they are sleeping Siri is pretty useless to me due to all the background noise :(. Which sucks because I love Siri