So I was around someone with an iPod touch and they were making phones calls with their iPod touch. How is this possible and if you can use your iPod touch as a phone what is the difference between the iPhone and iPod touch? Ha. There has to be a kick to it. There Is no way that tw iPod touch can be a phone
    01-03-2012 12:47 AM
    I think some have managed to use google voice and the like.
    01-03-2012 12:52 AM
    I read somewhere there was an app that did that by whatever means but the iPod can't do it no way
    01-03-2012 12:59 AM
    I still don't get it. If there is an app for it what's the difference between the two devices then?
    01-03-2012 01:06 AM
    There are apps to do calls over the Internet a iPhone has a cellular radio and always has Internet If u plan on making calls with a iPod touch gotta have wifi since it doesn't have a cellular chip in it so that's why a iPod touch can do call but has to rely on a wifi signal
    01-03-2012 01:12 AM
    Diff is unless your on wifi you can't do nothing with a iPod .. A iPhone you can

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    rich67 likes this.
    01-03-2012 03:21 AM
    If you live in a place where Wi-Fi is everywhere, you can use the iPod Touch as your main phone.

Everything is the same, from the app store to the ringtones. When you tweet from an iPod Touch, it actually says via iPhone. The only difference between the iPod Touch and the iPhone is that the iPhone uses carriers, and the iPod Touch uses Wi-Fi.

You can make and receive calls on your iPod Touch 4G.

Just download free apps TextNow or Talkatone from the app store. You get a number.
    01-03-2012 03:41 AM
    I have an iPod touch and I also use a clear wire hotspot so I am always in wifi. I also use the app talkatone with my google voice number. I can text and make calls with no problems. It is not quite like using the iPhone but really close.
    01-03-2012 09:26 AM
    So can you use your iPod touch mobile hot spot anywhere? Why would apple make the iPod touch so close to the iPhone?
    01-03-2012 11:49 PM
    So can you use your iPod touch mobile hot spot anywhere? Why would apple make the iPod touch so close to the iPhone?
    A iPod touch does not have a mobile hot spot he has a clear wire hotspot that he connects his iPod to so he always has Internet
    01-04-2012 12:00 AM
    So driving in the car he can use his iPod as a phone? Where is hotspot coming from?
    01-04-2012 12:04 AM
    So driving in the car he can use his iPod as a phone? Where is hotspot coming from?
    He would have to have a mobile hot spot device that he has a Internet plan on with a internet provider so u would have to have Internet anyway that's why most people go with iPhone because u are carrying one device have only one battery to worry about and u would have a Internet plan on your phone anyway
    01-04-2012 12:09 AM
    Got ya. iPhone's are the best!
    01-04-2012 12:10 AM
    Got ya. iPhone's are the best!
    Absolutely plus the iPhone retinas display is actually of a better quality and u have a gps chip built in the iPods still don't have that but there still great devices just don't make sense if u want a iPhone anyway
    01-04-2012 12:13 AM
    A Clear device is a very small black box you get that is internet and 4G for all your devices wherever you go. Laptops, tablets, and iPod Touches, and even XBOX's for you and your friends.

I used it when I was in college.

To me, it makes more sense to just have that than to pay for 3G on one iPhone with an expensive carrier. It's all around cheaper. And plus, I don't even have anyone to call really.

About the retina display, Apple - iPod touch - Everything you see and do looks amazing.
    Apple - iPhone 4S - See everything clearly with the Retina display

It's the exactly the same as the iPhone. Exactly.

Maps work the same regardless if it's Wi-Fi or GPS, if I ask Vlingo, "Where is my house?" It will find me, perhaps even better than a GPS would.

So, for people like me- who aren't in the wilderness, don't have many people to call, but live in the suburbs- a modern community where Wi-Fi is a-plenty, you can use an iPod Touch as your main phone. It works exactly the same.
    01-04-2012 12:49 AM
    A Clear® device is a very small black box you get that is internet and 4G for all your devices wherever you go. Laptops, tablets, and iPod Touches, and even XBOX's for you and your friends.

I used it when I was in college.

To me, it makes more sense to just have that than to pay for 3G on one iPhone with an expensive carrier. It's all around cheaper. And plus, I don't even have anyone to call really.

About the retina display, Apple - iPod touch - Everything you see and do looks amazing.
    Apple - iPhone 4S - See everything clearly with the Retina display

It's the exactly the same as the iPhone. Exactly.

Maps work the same regardless if it's Wi-Fi or GPS, if I ask Vlingo, "Where is my house?" It will find me, perhaps even better than a GPS would.

So, for people like me- who aren't in the wilderness, don't have many people to call, but live in the suburbs- a modern community where Wi-Fi is a-plenty, you can use an iPod Touch as your main phone. It works exactly the same.
    Wrong they are not the same screen do a little more research the iPhone 4 uses IPS technology get your facts straight first there both called retina display because there resolution and as far as clear wire vs a mobile carrier it's all about where u live clear wire is not widespread
    01-04-2012 12:57 AM
    http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/09/04/...%99s-slight-i/ I could prob find u 1000 other links that prove u are wrong about the screen and I do happen to go out into the woods and have gps apps that I cach maps on before I head out where there is no Internet with a iPod touch I would have no location available since it lacks a gps chip
    Last edited by Uselessbass; 01-04-2012 at 01:02 AM.
    01-04-2012 12:59 AM
    Wrong they are not the same screen do a little more research the iPhone 4 uses IPS technology get your facts straight first there both called retina display because there resolution and as far as clear wire vs a mobile carrier it's all about where u live clear wire is not widespread
    I bet you couldn't tell by looking at it though. Unless you were a diamond expert, I don't know anyone who could see the difference. You'd have to have a microscope. Apple's site says what it says- unless you're accusing them of deceptive marketing.

iPod Touches aren't full fledged phones, but mobile phone is a part of it's description.
    01-04-2012 01:20 AM
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...KpQjnlEc&gl=US

It's a pretty obvious difference at side viewing angles and If you actually compare the specs between the to on Apples website u will see they are not the same they don't mention the contrast ratio anywhere on the iPod touches screen so how am I accusing apple of bad marketing get your head out of your *** sorry I have no patience arguing with somebody over a iPod touch screen when it's a known fact there are differences very small but they are there iPod's are a lot cheaper then iPhones no need to get snotty because my iPhones screen is a tad better then your touches screen my kid has a iPod touch 4g so I also know from first hand experience
    01-04-2012 01:27 AM
    I see the difference. It's true, it's like 2%, that matters to people like me.

I'd rather have the iPod Touch though- they say it's thinner while using less battery life. I would also buy an iPhone, but only unlocked because I don't want to pay carriers. I don't need to pay them.
    01-04-2012 01:40 AM
    if u jailbreak the ipod then u can use accessories like apple peel, which allow u to add a sim card for the ipod making it a phone. u just download a messages and phone app.

only drawback to this ive seen is no 3g(yet) only EDGE speeds. but if u have wifi at home and office.. not really an issue.

can also use this to make an iphone dual sim.
    01-04-2012 03:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD