The camera on the 4s

jwsnj3rd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok don't know if it's me but the camera doesn't look as good as everybody's saying it should be.
Went to a new years eve party last night and thought We'd give it a good camera test. I'm not impressed unless its cause of it being dark or something. Any ideas any body can give me to help me out.

Kehjj04

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine is hit or miss. Some shots come out amazing and some are blurry and a hot mess. Pics of my 4 month old are flawless because she's pretty much sedentary! But try to take one of my crazy active 2 year old and forget about it it is awful! It takes great stills but not do good action shots.

Kristy_Lyn

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Medium lighting situations I find are not great quality pics try turning the flash to "on" as opposed to "auto" that may help, I find when I'm in a dark room I get better pics than in a medium lit room due to the fact that in a dark room the flash automatically comes on where in medium lighting it may or may not come on when set to auto.

My issue with my camera was because my case is a little thick at the camera cutout and seems to make pictures blurry. When I remove the case and in the same lighting situation it was focused. So make sure it's not your case causing the flash to not be picked up properly.

I have since ordered an aluminum barely there case, just waiting for it to arrive.

"Hello my name is Kristy. I am an Appleholic"

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have not had a problem with the 4s camera. I have used it in all lighting and with several different cases. Flash on, flash off , auto.. Etc. I have taken over 500 pictures ---- I take photos out the car window while driving and they are not blurry just to test it out.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
For me pictures usually turn out great but videos are hit or miss. Sometimes they're great but other times the image stablization creates a sort of wobbly effect. Kinda annoying.

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
As with most digital cameras,low light performance leaves much to be desired. The flash throws off a bluish tint, and the images are grainy unless you are very close to the subject. The cam works awesome in bright light and medium light. I get very crisp images. If I'm trying to take dark pics, I'll get up close and use HDR. Post processing works good using iPhoto or Gimp. Just increase the exposure and mess with the contrast and it looks a lot better. Trust me, unless you use a digital slr you won't get dark shots that look nice. A cam on a cell phone or even some point and shoots just doesn't have the flash power to brighten everything up.

rednocturne307

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
As with most digital cameras,low light performance leaves much to be desired. The flash throws off a bluish tint, and the images are grainy unless you are very close to the subject. The cam works awesome in bright light and medium light. I get very crisp images. If I'm trying to take dark pics, I'll get up close and use HDR. Post processing works good using iPhoto or Gimp. Just increase the exposure and mess with the contrast and it looks a lot better. Trust me, unless you use a digital slr you won't get dark shots that look nice. A cam on a cell phone or even some point and shoots just doesn't have the flash power to brighten everything up.

Exactly. It's amazing how much people expect from their phones nowadays. I catch myself doing this a lot. Complaining about my phone not being able to do something that a phone probably rightly shouldn't have to do.

Reactions: greatlovequotes

garrett

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
the 4S camera is better then any other phone camera i have used but its not good as far as cameras go even at its very best. The 4S puts out about the same quality pics as a 49.99 dollar point and shoot.

its fine for taking quick non important photos. I wont be using it for anything of any importance i wouldn't risk getting a bad picture from a phone.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
the 4S camera is better then any other phone camera i have used but its not good as far as cameras go even at its very best. The 4S puts out about the same quality pics as a 49.99 dollar point and shoot.

its fine for taking quick non important photos. I wont be using it for anything of any importance i wouldn't risk getting a bad picture from a phone.

I don't agree. I think the 4s camera is much better than a $50 point and shoot. It really does a great job.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

I could not disagree more. In most situations it is great with the exception being low light like stated earlier in this thread. But even my Sony DSC-H55 takes only takes so so low light pics.

I am by no means the least bit knowledgable in photography, I am talking straight out of the box, no fancy settings, which is what most iPhone users would be IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I love the camera. I have HDR on and flash off (I have glasses so I usually keep the flash off so as to avoid the glare) and most of the pictures turn out nice. I find I take better pictures than if I give it to someone else to take pictures of a group and they aren't familiar with how to work the camera.

DZD

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Two tips I've learned -

1) Make sure the lens is clean :)

2) If you have a case, take it off - it seems that with most cases, the flash reflects from it causing a haze or discoloration - I think this only applies to cases that are not black.

Personally - I'm very impressed with the camera - it's much better than a point and shoot and it now engages quicker - I love the fact that you can access it from the lock screen (hit the home button twice) to take a quick pic.

pilsbury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
While the quality of the 4S pictures are indeed better than my i4, I also find like some, that it is not nearly as sharp in medium light. But it seemed my i4 was more consistent regarding quality.

garrett

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I could not disagree more. In most situations it is great with the exception being low light like stated earlier in this thread. But even my Sony DSC-H55 takes only takes so so low light pics.

I am by no means the least bit knowledgable in photography, I am talking straight out of the box, no fancy settings, which is what most iPhone users would be IMO.

im not trying to bash the iPhone 4S camera its okay for what it is but when you compare it to a standalone point and shoot even a low end one the point and shoot in most cases will give you a better shot because that's its only function.

my whole college and work background is in digital art and photography so i tend to look at photo's with A lot more scrutiny then what most people do.

jwsnj3rd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. It's amazing how much people expect from their phones nowadays. I catch myself doing this a lot. Complaining about my phone not being able to do something that a phone probably rightly shouldn't have to do.

True but everybody was saying how awesome the thing is. So I'd expect it to be better.
My wife has no case I do & are pix are the same. low light not so good , blurry when some one moves, and don't know why but I get glowing eyes not red and when you do the red eye edit they look like doll eyes. Kinda a freaky,lol. I'm still playing with it ,is there and plus to the grid. Also any really good photo edit apps in app world

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR