In light of Verizon's push for an extra 2 a month, it got me thinking that before 2007, i was paying 30 a month SERO plan on Sprint. Now it's over 200 a month with a 3 line AT&T plan. With them paying Apple so much in subs, carriers are looking for ways to increase profits which only means more from us in future.

Wouldn't it be great though to just have a 25 a month data plan only? Of course we have this with an ipad. Ignoring size of ipad, could you see using your ipad as a "phone"?
    12-31-2011 11:29 AM
    Im on a data and voice only plan, i do all my texting through google voice
    12-31-2011 11:46 AM
    It wouldn't work for me as I use my iPhone as well, a phone!

I pay Verizon 150 a month for 2 lines one with unlimited data. We share 1400 minutes and have unlimited text messaging. I find this reasonable
    12-31-2011 11:48 AM
    I've said it beforethe second I can go data-only, I will. The few calls I make can easily be done with Talkatone or Skype.
    12-31-2011 12:27 PM
    I can't do without a voice plan, however, I can and do go without a text plan thanks to iMessage.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
    12-31-2011 12:59 PM
    I need voice and text. My iPhone is my only phone, so I need it to communicate.
    norfolk_yid likes this.
    12-31-2011 01:05 PM
    I've said it before—the second I can go data-only, I will. The few calls I make can easily be done with Talkatone or Skype.
    It would be nice if AT&T offered better prepaid data rates as this would probably be a good option for you.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
    12-31-2011 01:10 PM
    Never - I use at least 3000 minutes per month for work.... I still couldn't see not having voice. I have two small kids in school and they must have a way to call.
    12-31-2011 02:49 PM
    I could do without a voice plan. I actually tried asking T-Mobile if I could drop it and they said no.
    12-31-2011 03:09 PM

I pay Verizon 150 a month for 2 lines one with unlimited data. We share 1400 minutes and have unlimited text messaging. I find this reasonable
    Wow, that's a little more than my cost for 3 lines with Sprint, with unlimited data/text and 1500 minutes (which we never use more than 40 or so, since all mobile to mobile are unlimited too).
    12-31-2011 06:35 PM

Sounds exactly like our setup except we both have unlimited data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-31-2011 10:18 PM
    Wow, that's a little more than my cost for 3 lines with Sprint, with unlimited data/text and 1500 minutes (which we never use more than 40 or so, since all mobile to mobile are unlimited too).
    We are slaves to verizon. Sprint and at&t have no service where I live!
    12-31-2011 10:59 PM
    I have a quick question and didn't want to start a new thread for this but, I was wondering if I decided to purchase the 4S and am not yet eligible for an upgrade until May 2012 would it be better to use the AT&T add a line feature that way I wouldn't have to pay $649.99 for the 64GB model. Then next question, what about my current plan and it's unlimited data option, if I added the line I'm assuming that unlimited would no longer be there. Also, what about the existing service, would I have to pay an ETF for the current account I have?
    01-01-2012 12:23 AM
    In light of Verizon's push for an extra 2 a month, it got me thinking that before 2007, i was paying 30 a month SERO plan on Sprint. Now it's over 200 a month with a 3 line AT&T plan. With them paying Apple so much in subs, carriers are looking for ways to increase profits which only means more from us in future.

Wouldn't it be great though to just have a 25 a month data plan only? Of course we have this with an ipad. Ignoring size of ipad, could you see using your ipad as a "phone"?
    Verizon nixed the $2 thing...
    01-01-2012 02:12 AM
    Verizon nixed the $2 thing...
    Yes they did.

But you know the one thing that stands out in this thread is the poster who finds 150+ per month on a cell phone plan "reasonable."

Now i have few financial worries and can easily pay this and do...over 200 a month. But that's a ridiculous amount to spend per month on a carrier in addition to home phone and internet. JMO. And the carriers are focused on increasing profits so i don't see that improving..

People keep saying in this thread that they need voice or the ability to take calls. You can do this with VOIP apps. I never said we didn't need to do this but instead, do we need voice plans. We can use these same apps to message or even use IM programs or iMessage. Why do we need to pay 30 a month for texting? Or 89 a month on 1400 mins?

The cons i see in using VOIP apps, is they can be closed without you wanting them to be with iOS's multitasking mgmt. They're battery drainers too. But still, 50 a month for 2 lines vs 150+ is quite the savings. Business users that need reliability probably need a voice plan. But we've learned with ipads that users can accept some limitations...as long as you can get 80% or so the way there.
    01-01-2012 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD